PDA

View Full Version : Interactive monsters. Err...where?

Flying Mullet
03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I remember reading a lot of hype/info about how the open environments and battle system of FFXII wre going to allow for a lot more interactivity within the enemies and other denizens of Ivalice. There was talk of how your strategies could include how to turn your enemies against each other based on their natural likes/dislikes of each other and such. Examples were where you would engage one type of enemy, then run towards or draw another type of enemy into the fray and the two enemies would turn on each other and you would clean up after one side was defeated.

Other than the dinosaur munching on an occasional wolf outside of Rabanastre, I don't remember any of this played out. I never saw any opportunity to create any "monster versus monster" scenarios based on their natural inclinations. Did they decide to pull it, did I somehow miss a large portion of strategy in the game by missing the opportunity to take advantage of this or did they over-hype it to increase sales?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I never read anything like that. Either it was a concept they dropped mid-development, or they were never working on it at all, and what you heard was just speculation from some unofficial source.

Clawsze
03-11-2008, 05:05 PM
I've seen the dino hammering the wolfs to death, but apart from that...maybe it would take to much memory to give all the monster AI the info to do this, so they scrapped it mid-development.

Roogle
03-11-2008, 05:11 PM
The dinosaur is simply using a technick that sacrifices an applicable monster and, accordingly, boost its attack. I think that the type of interactivity that Flying Mullet is talking about is different. Where did you recall hearing this, Flying Mullet?

LunarWeaver
03-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I recall reading this, too. I swear it to the great Buddha. It was a long time ago, and I couldn't pull a source for nothin', so just take it or leave it. It looks like they totally dropped it, though.

Edit: Actually..

1up mentions it here (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143606). It gets a small example here (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy12/news.html?sid=6130092&mode=previews&print=1) from the demo and Neoseeker (http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/Products/PS2/final_fantasy_xii/) listed it before the game came out. What? I needed something to do while I ate breakfast. :jess:

Roogle
03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I think that it may have been one of the many things talked about in the initial conceptions of the game. Apparently, this game has more stuff in its drafts than in its final product. That's a shame.

Clawsze
03-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Ah, like the cannibalism technick the malboros use in the feywood which smurfs up a certain hunt.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Apparently, this game has more stuff in its drafts than in its final product. That's a shame.Almost every video game made in recent years has experienced this. Now more than ever, budgets and deadlines are a painful fact of the industry.

Clawsze
03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Apparently, this game has more stuff in its drafts than in its final product. That's a shame.Almost every video game made in recent years has experienced this. Now more than ever, budgets and deadlines are a painful fact of the industry.

I believe KH Final Mix/Final Mix+ are a fine example of this. I suppose if more time was given, much more would be included into te game, alas, having already waited for 5 years for a true FF, i suppose another year would really put off some fans.

Vyk
03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I remember hearing the same hype. Maybe if they'd actually have put that in there I wouldn't have found battles so boring and kept playing. But alas. Its now just another notch on my ever growing belt listing names of Square games I just can't sink my teeth into. Though I honestly doubt that would have been the kicker

PuPu
03-12-2008, 01:10 AM
I think I remember seeing monster vs. monster in the Zertinan(is it spelled right? I'm not sure) Caverns. The Gorgimera fights the Archaeovis. Usually it's the Archaeovis that wins.

sleepy_shadow
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I remember seeing some pig-man/orc guy going berserk and attacking a couple of wolves. Then he one-shot Penelo :)

Bolivar
03-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I think I remember seeing monster vs. monster in the Zertinan(is it spelled right? I'm not sure) Caverns. The Gorgimera fights the Archaeovis. Usually it's the Archaeovis that wins.

yeah, that's another one, i'm sure there's a few scarce other ones.

I don't think it was a matter of building up hype to sell copies. In the interviews with the developers that came with the special edition, Hiroshi Minagawa said the staff had tons of ideas that were all very interesting that they just couldn't incorporate into the game. I'm sure this is one of them, since it seems to be partially implemented.

leader of mortals
03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
The Giza rabbit can heal you or other monsters if you stand aroung long enough.

Roogle
03-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I think that type of project would have taken far too much programming to include in the game. I mean, think about it — every monster would have to have its own way to interact with the environment, its own ordinary artificial intelligence, its own advanced artificial intelligence, its own allies and enemies —

Mo-Nercy
03-12-2008, 11:13 PM
I remember reading about this too.

And I've seen a bunch of Abysteels take out a Gizamaluk in Henne Mines. But that's just the one situation.

Big D
03-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Yep, there are incidents like the one Mo-Nercy mentioned... and the occasional acts of monster-on-monster dining or cannibalism. The saurians are pretty fond of chowing down on other monsters, and Death Claws at Ridoranna eat each other on a worryingly regular basis. Then there are the monsters that actually help each other - like the mandrakes that cast support magic on each other.

rubah
03-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Kinda unrelated, but it's a pity they couldn't implement night and days as well as the weather.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-17-2008, 02:44 AM
A shame, it would have been a nice addition to the game; and added a lot more strategy to battles. It would have taken up a lot of space on the disc to make the AI do that though, so I guess that was the reason they decided against it.