PDA

View Full Version : Most goth character.

Irish Vincent
03-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Who is the most goth FF character ever?

Note: Lulu does not count!

Raebus
03-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I choose Lulu.

PuPu
03-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Vincent and Lulu both seem equally "gothic," if your definition of "gothic" is what I think it is.

Goldenboko
03-12-2008, 01:24 AM
The definition of Gothic has become warped, blown apart and retarded. Now anyone who wears a lot of black is "gothic." I miss the time when Gothic was just a style of architecture.

Anyway.

I choose Lulu.

LunarWeaver
03-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Black Mage from FFI is one goth son of a gun. He sets a real standard.

Psychotic
03-12-2008, 02:07 AM
This thread is also best suited to General FF. General FF is basically the forum to go to when you want to make threads about characters from every FF game. :)

Big D
03-12-2008, 03:04 AM
Paine, Vincent and yes, Lulu all strike me as somewhat 'goth'. Squall rates an honourable mention.

Paine has thigh-high boots, a barbed-wire necklace, and a sword with a skull on it. If she were any more goth, she'd poo bats.

Spuuky
03-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Don't we need some kind of definition for "goth" here? Are we going with the traditional Byronic hero type? Or is this purely a question of aesthetics? If it's the former then it's obviously Squall, and if it's the latter then I question the purpose of this thread.

Bolivar
03-12-2008, 03:29 AM
the Dissidia/nomura representation of the "Warrior of Light" might be a little goth with the horns and skull.

Big D
03-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Don't we need some kind of definition for "goth" here? Are we going with the traditional Byronic hero type? Or is this purely a question of aesthetics? If it's the former then it's obviously Squall, and if it's the latter then I question the purpose of this thread.I figure we're probably going with modern 'popular' conceptions of the word, which tend to favour style over substance. The traditional (many might say, 'proper') uses of 'Goth' or 'gothic' (tribal, architectural, literary) aren't really what the thread's aimed at...

Forsaken Lover
03-12-2008, 10:55 AM
the Dissidia/nomura representation of the "Warrior of Light" might be a little goth with the horns and skull.

Just ignore it. That hack ran out of original character designs around a decade ago.

Vyk
03-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd like to know why Lulu is not allowed, though. Not that I'm a big fan of hers anyway, but what, were you hoping that everyone would just default to Vincent, if they couldn't choose her?

blackmage_nuke
03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Clearly the correct answer is Selphie

Bakamut
03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Err... Why doesn't Lulu count? I'd say she's pretty dang gothic.

Avarice-ness
03-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Actually the term gothic for CLOTHES, means clothing styles based off the clothing worn around the dark ages to the victorian periods, which would fit lulu completely, last time I checked, she was the only one who wore a corset.

is a clothing style worn by both male and female members of the Goth subculture. It is stereotyped as a dark, sometimes morbid, eroticized fashion and style of dress. Typical gothic fashion includes black dyed hair and black clothes. Both male and female goths wear dark eyeliner and dark fingernails. Styles are often borrowed from the Elizabethans and Victorians. The extent to which goths hold to this stereotype varies, though virtually all Goths wear some of these elements.

Goth fashion is often confused with heavy metal fashion, and uninformed outsiders often mistake fans of heavy metal for goth,[1] particularly those who wear black trenchcoats or wear "corpse paint" (a term associated with the black metal music scene). Such misconceptions are especially rife in regards to the black metal subgenre.

Goth fashion can be recognized by its stark black clothing (or hair or makeup), often contrasted with boldly colored clothing, hair and makeup in strong shades of deep reds, purples, blues or emerald green, in fabrics and styles that evoke romantic eras as well as morbidity, that usually combine style elements that flow and drape as well as restrict or emphasize and sexualize a body part (i.e. corsetry or tight sleeves or trousers). Goth fashion further emphasizes the personal power of an individual, as the calculated juxtapositions of elements of the rugged accessories(i.e. metallic and leather), to that of the vulnerable, fragile and sensual restriction of body parts (i.e. lace, silks, and high heels for either gender). Like other fashions that embrace elaborate fashion choices and rules, goth fashion elicits attention from others, both goth or non-goth.

Personally, Lulu's the only one that actually fits in the definitions given above, She wears clothing peices of the victorian periods (see her corset) she wears leather AND lace, (Her dress is leather and her sleeves have lace trim) Her necklaces ARE purple, blue and Green.

Jessweeee♪
03-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Lulu's the only one who dresses that way, but I wouldn't say that any of the characters behave "gothic."

Raebus
03-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd like to know why Lulu is not allowed, though. Not that I'm a big fan of hers anyway, but what, were you hoping that everyone would just default to Vincent, if they couldn't choose her?

If he did mean that I would have still said Lulu. Vincent is a wank character.

Irish Vincent
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
the reason i said lulu doesnt count is cause i thought she would be the most common choice and i wanted an even # of choices.

and no not so that everyone would choose vincent

Avarice-ness
03-12-2008, 09:51 PM
the reason i said lulu doesnt count is cause i thought she would be the most common choice and i wanted an even # of choices.

and no not so that everyone would choose vincent

Eh, any person that has any knowledge of fashion would know that Lulu was the only choice, therefore making her not a choice would just put your judgement on what gothic fashion was on a pedistool.

Either way, it's not really as much of a choice as it is a fact. She's the only one out of Final fantasy characters that fits the requirements to be considered gothic fashion.

Given that, the only "choice" would be:

None.

Cloud88
03-12-2008, 09:57 PM
What are you people? Crazy???? Its obviously Selphie!!!!

Vyk
03-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Doesn't Edward wear frilly lacey Victorian crap? Or am I just super-imposing wussy looks on his wussy personality :}

Tallulah
03-12-2008, 10:55 PM
zomfg sqall is liek so totally GOFFIC!!!!!!1111111 an he wers iLiner like a lot fo kewl gofik boizzzz. MCR ROX!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :bigsmile:

P.S: if u dun no wot im talkin about den u shud rly read moar bad Harry Potter fanfiction. :P

Vyk
03-12-2008, 11:12 PM
You just scared the crap out of me...

Tallulah
03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
You just scared the crap out of me...

Hehe, sorry. :D

Big D
03-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Eh, any person that has any knowledge of fashion would know that Lulu was the only choice, therefore making her not a choice would just put your judgement on what gothic fashion was on a pedistool.

Either way, it's not really as much of a choice as it is a fact. She's the only one out of Final fantasy characters that fits the requirements to be considered gothic fashion.

Given that, the only "choice" would be:

None.Victoriana isn't the only pre-requisite for gothness these days... besides, your original definition mentioned "dark ages" and Elizabethan, which are about as far from actual goth fashions as it's possible to be:p

Vyk
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I took it to mean inspiration. Not literal. Goth guys in bands tend to wear those frilly pirate shirts. Chicks of course do corsets and such. Just make it dark and/or vibrant with good contrast

Avarice-ness
03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I took it to mean inspiration. Not literal. Goth guys in bands tend to wear those frilly pirate shirts. Chicks of course do corsets and such. Just make it dark and/or vibrant with good contrast

Yeah it's not like it -has- to be that, it even says:

Styles are often borrowed from the Elizabethans and Victorians.

That doesn't mean it's the exact same style, more so the style ideas are borrowed then tweaked, to a more modern style.

Kind of like right now 60's Mod is trendy, but the 60's Mod we currently have isn't -exactly- the same as it was in the 60's. Basically it's the style tweaked.

Gopher Gamble
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Paine, Vincent and yes, Lulu all strike me as somewhat 'goth'. Squall rates an honourable mention.

Paine has thigh-high boots, a barbed-wire necklace, and a sword with a skull on it. If she were any more goth, she'd poo bats.

Agreed on all point except squall. squal is emo.:p

Vyk
03-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Squall's anti-social and untrusting. I can't picture him writing blogs pouring out his soul and cutting himself. Unless you mean his wardrobe. Which doesn't seem that emo to me. More Calvin Klein than anything. But that's a visual kei thing

TheOne
03-25-2008, 07:25 PM
I choose Vincent,Paine ,and Lulu.......

Aerith's Knight
03-25-2008, 07:44 PM
edea

PeneloRatsbane
03-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Fran's armour is a bit gothic, but shes tanned and usually quite content and dry humoured so i guess she doesn't count.

Kefka has quite a lot of eyeliner

but i'd say Paine

Obsidian
04-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Emperor Palamecia. Hands down.

Momiji
05-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Just ignore it. That hack ran out of original character designs around a decade ago.

It's funny how your opinions differ from thread to thread. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/116241-tetsuya-nomura-your-thoughts.html)

Anyway, I'm surprised no one said Yunalesca. She looked pretty 'goth' to me.

Roogle
05-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Why does Lulu not count as a gothic character? I felt that her character design was very gothic in nature, and when I read only the topic title, I instantly thought of Lulu.

Relapse
05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
FF1 chars! lol.

ok anyway. maybe firion and leon from 2. maybe kain from 4. and definitely vincent from 7. and squall from 8.

Nominus Experse
05-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Fuck your inane rules:
Lulu