PDA

View Full Version : "Important Windows Update, Computer Must Restart"! >O

Jojee
03-12-2008, 09:13 AM
How do I get rid of this? I'm using a drawing program that can't save, and the most I can postpone the restart to is 4 hours. I need to sleep, and go to class, and go to work, and I'd like to postpone the important update or whatever for a few days until I finish my drawing.

If I leave it for more than 4 hours then it'll automatically restart and I'll lose all my work... all the layers and everything = pain in the arse.

crono_logical
03-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Why can't you save? :p And welcome to Windows auto-update :p

Jojee
03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I don't know, cos' it's a hax program that's supposed to be on a trial version and I didn't buy it? xD

Anyway, I already have it figured out... I went through the trouble of print screening (cos' I can't copy from that program either... sigh) every layer, going into Paint Shop Pro, cropping all the images to be the same size, and saving each cropped layer individually. :p

Since I can copy into~ the program, I'll just copy every layer into it after restart. xD

Pain in the arse.

Nominus Experse
03-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I was actually wondering something similar to this earlier today.

My question revolved around making it so that after you've minimized the dialog box to the system tray, it remains there, never bothering to show itself to you at very random, inopportune times.

I was working on my mod for Diablo II, clicking about the middle of my screen, when suddenly amidst my clicking, the dialog box opened itself up again. My clicks went right into "Restart Now" and everything was lost...

Windows sucks, Jojee, and Macs are fail, and unless you're Face or Crono, Linux wears a tuxedo that's incredibly difficult to get into correctly.

o_O
03-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Linux isn't THAT hard! :D

But yeah. I don't really have anything to contribute other than to say that this is one of the worst things about Windows (why can't you just say "No thanks."? :p). I'm sure you can turn it off somehow. There might be a process you can kill or something. :p

EDIT: Ok fine you twisted my arm. Start > Run > "sc stop wuauserv"

Vyk
03-12-2008, 10:47 AM
A redneck way to fix it would be to set the date back a few days or a year. Unless windows fixed that bug. It still worked in XP. You'd crash and it'd say restarting in 30 seconds. Set the year back and it'd say restarting in 365 days :}

Baloki
03-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Or you know when the dialog comes up saying restart now/postpone update you don't do anything? Then it plays the waiting game :D

o_O
03-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Or you know when the dialog comes up saying restart now/postpone update you don't do anything? Then it plays the waiting game :D

It counts down before restarting automatically. :p

Baloki
03-12-2008, 02:42 PM

It counts down before restarting automatically. :p

Users of Vista deserve anything they get :p

crono_logical
03-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I just disable automatic updates and update in my own time at my convenience instead :p

rubah
03-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Windows sucks, Jojee, and Macs are fail, and unless you're Face or Crono, Linux wears a tuxedo that's incredibly difficult to get into correctly.
Mac is like the wedding of windows and *NIX, so I dunno what you're talking about 8)

Nominus Experse
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Mac is like the wedding of windows and *NIX, so I dunno what you're talking about 8)
A costly, annoying wedding that not many people can attend.

And everyone present only has one arm.

Vyk
03-12-2008, 10:09 PM
One arm? I thought they finally added the right click :(

rubah
03-12-2008, 10:13 PM
definitely

Rostum
03-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Learn to get programs for free. 8)

Baloki
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I think we should begin updating CK's with automatic updates :)

Aerith's Knight
03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
i dont know.. but id pay for the information