PDA

View Full Version : Nice guys finish last.

Montoya
03-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Discuss just how true this statement is.

James Leopold
03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
What do you mean "finish last"? Do you mean the nice guys always fail?

oddler
03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
It's better when the saying's taken with a perverted mind, eh?

Big D
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
It's true enough. You don't succeed in business, politics, sports or romance by being "nice". Selfishness, arrogance and general assholiness are the way to go, apparently - if you want to succeed, earn respect, and be rewarded for your efforts...

Miriel
03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
It's true enough. You don't succeed in business, politics, sports or romance by being "nice". Selfishness, arrogance and general assholiness are the way to go, apparently - if you want to succeed, earn respect, and be rewarded for your efforts...

Not true - at least not for the business aspect. The most successful buisness people that I personally know are super nice people. Like, omfg-mindboggling-nice. Maybe there are tons of people out there who get to be successful by being jerks, but I guess I've just never associated with those kinds of people.

Being nice doesn't have to mean that you're a pushover. And the biggest factor in winning or losing in anything in life is confidence rather than niceness.

Those who lack confidence finish last, not necessarily people who are nice.

Cloudane
03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I've been through this mindset myself. Sometimes I still think it. After all... I was the only kid who stuck to the rules of the "egg and spoon race" back in school and didn't cheat, and thus ended up coming in last. It's funny how early these things are identified!

But it's not really "being nice" that makes a person finish last, it's being naive. A pushover. A doormat. Whatever. If everyone's cheating: cheat. If everyone over-exaggerates their CV/Resume: over-exaggerate your CV/Resume.

You have to be 'arrogant', but this is a matter of perspective. What "nice" people see as arrogance, the rest of the world sees as "confidence". If they (employers for example, not to mention women) don't see this "confidence" they think you're weak and at best you will never get anywhere... in reality you'll probably get treated as a doormat... just go along with it and make yourself out to be awesome.

You can still be nice, just don't be naive. :)

XxSephirothxX
03-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I like the way you think.

Avarice-ness
03-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah they finish last, but they usually get the best result.

Baloki
03-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I like the way you think.

I think the way you like!

Blue Harvest
03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
For my own sake I choose to believe this statement isn't true.