PDA

View Full Version : Question about Magus

brendan909
03-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm near the end of the game and he is acting weird. When he's in the group that's fighting, he sometimes go after fellow group members. When I talk to him at the end of time, he says 'the weak thrive to be weaker. What's up with that?

Elly
03-13-2008, 09:58 PM
his statements at the end of time is just the way he is... as for him attacking party members that's usualy due to a Confusion status effect, i don't recall him ever attacking any of my party members of his own volition...

Vyk
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
That would be an awesome quirk for his character though haha. Like Shadow in FFVI. "Money's tight. Bastards." *Thwack!* /fiction

Avarice-ness
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Magus always acts like that. The -only- time you see anything but coldness from him is when he's in the Dark Ages as the "Prophet", whenever Schala would be in pain he'd react to it, regardless of the fact that they stated in the game that Janus was a troubled boy, I believe that he didn't become cold to -everyone- (even his comrades) until Schala's death since Schala and him were -extremely- close. It's basically like loosing your soul when it's already fading.

He's yet to attack any of my members and I have him in my party 24/7 and as for maybe verbally attacking, I don't really agree with that. If you have Magus in your party for the Side Quest where you go to Cyrus grave with Frog, when Cyrus appears and talks to Frog, Chrono stands there all stupid but Magus will turn around and not face them.
Why? Remorse maybe? Or just the fact that he's now in the party and his determination of what's in the past is in the past makes him not even want to look at what he had previously done.

If anything, as odd as it sounds he may see power as an inevitable weakness. He considered his mother weak and Queen Zeal was consumed by power, Zeal didn't want to use herself as a catalyst for the Mammon machine so she used the person he was closest too, his sister (the most UNCORRUPT* person) all for immortality. Her power in a sense was her weakness because she was blind to what the power was causing (and what it caused) and blinding and eventual insanity is a weakness.
* Meaning, Schala was a symbol for purity and innocence, when Chrono and the gang got banished from the kingdom, she went down on her own to the earthbound ones who weren't too shocked to see her, granted they acted in modesty but their mindset is that -every- enlightened person is better. Various Earthbound villagers also talked well of her as if she came there enough for them to know her kindness. Other enlightened people didn't have that kind of natural innocence.

Given the temptation of power, she could fight it, thus making her powerful, Zeal on the other hand succumbed to the concept of power and didn't have the power to fight what other saw as something that changed her, thus making her weak. Granted it can be argued that if she was more powerful then why didn't she stop it, I personally think she had hope in her mother and that eventually she'd come too saddly once it came to the point where it was OBVIOUS she wouldn't come too, Schala was already being taken over by the Mammon Machine. Even once Schala is reacting with the Mammon machine, other enlightened one's start detesting what's going on, it's still not called off.

Then again, I'm prolly looking to much into it, but Magus tends to be the least opptimistic character in the game but there are in game reasons for that.

blackmage_nuke
03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
I think he did it for the lols

Avarice-ness
03-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I think he did it for the lols

xD

Yeah 'cause Magus is all about the lols.

Vyk
03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Jeeze Avie. I love CT but could never get into it. Made it to the end once. But I don't recall that kind of depth. I'm all about reading into things if it feels like good drama. And that was an awesome read. I really wish I could get into this game. That makes me want to more lol

Avarice-ness
03-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Jeeze Avie. I love CT but could never get into it. Made it to the end once. But I don't recall that kind of depth. I'm all about reading into things if it feels like good drama. And that was an awesome read. I really wish I could get into this game. That makes me want to more lol

xD

I have secret fangasm's for various games.

As for like talking about the depth of Magus with the Queen and his sister, he never talks about it (other than explaining he was janus), but you can see it an basically assume from the various segments that it shows of him when he's still Janus, also of how the sprite reacts on -many- things, when they're back in the past.

Another cute thing is that when you go to the Dark Ages with Magus and to the Commons in the "Last Village" area, his cat (as Janus) Alfador will follow him around. That has nothing to do with anything but it made me smile.

Either way, I tend to go deep in story lines that I love, but I only go as far as the game lets me, basically meaning for everything I have in one of my "deep ingame analysis" there's something to back it up in the game.

Vyk
03-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I get ya. No FE-style conspiracy theories :P if I'd play the game and think about it I'd probably come to some similar conclusions from the sound of it :D

Avarice-ness
03-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I get ya. No FE-style conspiracy theories :P if I'd play the game and think about it I'd probably come to some similar conclusions from the sound of it :D

No FE-theories for me! Seriously though, you can look into a game and get so much information and what not to make the best of analysis' without ever having to go out and -find- things in pictures and what not.

brendan909
03-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Jeez, I just wanted to know if there was a way to stop him from attacking fellow group members. Now look what's happening. For the record, he doesn't do that anymore. Am currently working my way through the Black Omen in 1000 AD.

NeoCracker
03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Actually Ava, I recall their being a person you can talk to in Zeal the says Janus's magic is possibly stronger then the queens. (It may have been Schala that was mentioned, but I believe it was the queen, could be wrong though.) So if he considered mommy weak, it's likely because she was by comparison.

Though of course he does seem to hate the weak, but he does seem to like Schala. I take it Janus had an overall ability to gauge ones strength, based off more then just one thing.

Though given how he acts after being sent to the middle ages and becoming Magus, his views of strength started to narrow down after all those years of living with the Mystics and wanting Vengance on Lavos.

Avarice-ness
03-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Actually Ava, I recall their being a person you can talk to in Zeal the says Janus's magic is possibly stronger then the queens. (It may have been Schala that was mentioned, but I believe it was the queen, could be wrong though.) So if he considered mommy weak, it's likely because she was by comparison.

Though of course he does seem to hate the weak, but he does seem to like Schala. I take it Janus had an overall ability to gauge ones strength, based off more then just one thing.

Though given how he acts after being sent to the middle ages and becoming Magus, his views of strength started to narrow down after all those years of living with the Mystics and wanting Vengance on Lavos.

Yeah they did say that, but due to the fact that Zeal chose Schala OVER Janus would natually make one assume Zeal felt that Schala was the better choice to harness the power. Granted you could always go "She didn't use him because he was a little boy" but.. yeah Zeal didn't really care. Now one reason she may have not used Janus is because Schala would have came to his defense, and that would have just caused problems.

Either way, comparison wise Magus is stronger than EVERYONE -EEVVVER- but seeing as no one had seen Janus' power at the time (because they only "felt" he was more powerful, meaning they had no reason other than a feeling) the only thing we have to go by is the people saying so. Really, power evidence is in Schala's defense due to the fact she was the one who, according to her mother, had enough power to Harness the Mammon Machine and the power of Lavos. There's a difference between potential and usable power.

Skyblade
03-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Yeah they did say that, but due to the fact that Zeal chose Schala OVER Janus would natually make one assume Zeal felt that Schala was the better choice to harness the power. Granted you could always go "She didn't use him because he was a little boy" but.. yeah Zeal didn't really care. Now one reason she may have not used Janus is because Schala would have came to his defense, and that would have just caused problems.

Either way, comparison wise Magus is stronger than EVERYONE -EEVVVER- but seeing as no one had seen Janus' power at the time (because they only "felt" he was more powerful, meaning they had no reason other than a feeling) the only thing we have to go by is the people saying so. Really, power evidence is in Schala's defense due to the fact she was the one who, according to her mother, had enough power to Harness the Mammon Machine and the power of Lavos. There's a difference between potential and usable power.

Was she "chosen" to unlock the Mammon Machine? I seem to recall them saying that Schala was the only one who could unleash the Mammon Machine, and that might not be strictly a matter of magical power. It could be the purity of Schala's spirit itself (unique among the enlightened) that was required to unlock the Mammon Machine, and made her the only one capable of unleashing its power, despite the magical ability of the Gurus, Zeal, and Janus.

Then too there is Schala's pendant. Crafted of dreamstone (IIRC), it holds a powerful tie to the Mammon Machine, and power that it seems only Schala and Marle can use. Why? And, for that matter, where did she get it and what was its original purpose?

Avarice-ness
03-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Was she "chosen" to unlock the Mammon Machine? I seem to recall them saying that Schala was the only one who could unleash the Mammon Machine, and that might not be strictly a matter of magical power. It could be the purity of Schala's spirit itself (unique among the enlightened) that was required to unlock the Mammon Machine, and made her the only one capable of unleashing its power, despite the magical ability of the Gurus, Zeal, and Janus.

Then too there is Schala's pendant. Crafted of dreamstone (IIRC), it holds a powerful tie to the Mammon Machine, and power that it seems only Schala and Marle can use. Why? And, for that matter, where did she get it and what was its original purpose?

I guess that would make sense.

As for the pendant. According to Chrono Compendium:

The pendant was created from Dreamstone by Melchior and passed down generations from the corridors of Zeal to the halls of Guardia. It has a colorful history that spans timelines. In the Lavos Timeline, it came into existence by the hands of the Gurus of Zeal, who forged it and the Masamune out of the royal family's supply of the red rock. After the Fall of Zeal, it was somehow recovered from the Ocean Palace Incident and preserved in the Last Village. This interestingly serves as evidence that Schala originally teleported herself and her mother out of the maelstrom beneath the sea and was able to pass on the heirloom. It then fell into the hands of Guardia, and was passed down as a family heirloom. Finally reaching Marle, it was the instrument of the Entity that set the events of Chrono Trigger in motion. Utilizing a reaction with Lucca's telepod, the Entity seemingly caused Marle to go back to 600 A.D., followed by a brave Crono who recovered the pendant after its fall and launched a pursuit. Carried with the party subsequently throughout the Keystone Timelines, its original purpose was rediscovered when the party discovered that charging it with energy from the Mammon Machine allowed it to interface with magical seals and doors from Zeal's time. Integral to the plot, it allowed the party to advance to the throne room of Zeal, and continue the quest to defeat Lavos.

If we remember, the dreamstone we got was found in the prehestoric ages, so it did exist before Zeal, and like it says, you had to CHARGE the pendant with the mammon machine to gain the abilities.

So even with Schala, the stone has no power unless charged with the mammon machine, as seen with Marles pendant.

Skyblade
03-19-2008, 01:41 AM
Perhaps, but I find it hard to believe that the pendant was designed simply to open the magical doors and chests of Zeal. Even uncharged, it contained enough power to manipulate the teleporter, and its charged power was also utilized to unleash the Chrono Trigger. That thing is one potent little artifact, and I don't think the Gurus would put that much power into something that was just meant as a key.

blackmage_nuke
03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I'd like to point out that its ability to manipulate the teleporter isnt a valid arguement. Its abit like saying a metal bar has the ability to manipulate a magnet and is thus the metal bar has power. So its more like it's properties caused an interference rather than it's power manipulated the machine. The other points seem plausable enough though

Skyblade
03-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Valid point. I was thinking that the pendant was what Lucca based the Gate Key off of, but I now remember her basing it off the mechanics of her teleporter.

Roogle
03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
When he's in the group that's fighting, he sometimes go after fellow group members.

This sounds like a status effect. Did anyone figure out what this was? Is there equipment in the game that automatically puts a character in a certain status effect?

Skyblade
03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
When he's in the group that's fighting, he sometimes go after fellow group members.

This sounds like a status effect. Did anyone figure out what this was? Is there equipment in the game that automatically puts a character in a certain status effect?

Ozzy Pants! A really powerful helm that is stolen from Ozzy in his side quest. Nice stats, but causes Auto-Confuse.

Marky Tee
03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Magus made that game
was a badass character

Nakor TheBlue Rider
03-30-2008, 07:22 PM
i was gonna say your probly wearin Ozzy Pants or somthing with Auto-confuse but Skyblade beat me to it.

Melodies of Life
04-06-2008, 11:15 AM
I had Magus in my party when Frog went back to his friend who Magus had killed years earlier. It was...well, weird. Magus just stood there and said nothing, and neither acknowledged Magus' presence.