PDA

View Full Version : Leveling

Omni-Odin
03-14-2008, 12:36 AM
I've made it to lvl 99 or 100 (depending on which game) in pretty much every FF game and I just pulled this out and remembered how much I enjoyed it in this game over the others, especially since all the abilities come from the weapons and items you own.

Anyone else feel like this because I know how much I hated doing it in VI and VIII.

Flying Mullet
03-14-2008, 01:15 AM
IX is my favorite after VI. I enjoy the emphasis it places on fantasy over realism and how each character fills a specific role.

Big D
03-14-2008, 02:15 AM
It's odd, FFIX is one where I didn't get to the highest possible level... not because I dislike the game; in fact, I love it to bits. But levelling is quite a grind in FFIX, for me anyway, so I guess I just never bothered to get higher than... oh, 80-ish at the most.

Goldenboko
03-14-2008, 03:42 AM
It's odd, FFIX is one where I didn't get to the highest possible level... not because I dislike the game; in fact, I love it to bits. But levelling is quite a grind in FFIX, for me anyway, so I guess I just never bothered to get higher than... oh, 80-ish at the most.

This is basically my opinion, but I didn't even get past 60 :D

Where I love FFIX with all my heart, I hate grinding. Plus beating things at low levels is more rewarding :P

Marky Tee
03-15-2008, 09:01 AM
omni odin-why didnt you like levelling in viii? its sooooo easy in that one
theres a few areas you can go up a level each battle

Shotgunnova
03-15-2008, 11:30 AM
It's precisely the "everyone has a specific role" feel that attracts me back to IX. Can't really get interested in the everyone-is-everything latter-day stuff, which starts to feel like Sims with swords each new installment. Level grinding is a chore no matter the game, though...no faultin' someone for not hitting max experience.

Crossblades
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
I enjoyed leveling in IX because of the fact that you can learn abilities from your weapons and armor. I try to make all my characters every single ability that they are able to learn. And yes, I love the fact that everyone has a set job, just like IV and XII:RW. We need more FFs that has characters with set jobs.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I've attempted to have a full party at Level 99 but I've gave up on it a few years ago. Not worth it in my opinion

Xurts
03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
The party I use are all around 75. Past that it gets too easy.

Aerith's Knight
03-21-2008, 03:52 PM
i had them on 65 after playing the entire storyline, didnt really feel like lvling.. did that enough during the game and i wanted to see how it ended.

The Unknown Guru
03-24-2008, 04:50 AM
I never do that. There's really no reward, so I just level until I beat the optional uber-boss. I beat Ozma at about 60, so that's probably where I'm staying.

rubah
03-27-2008, 01:35 AM
By the time I got to the 'lol let's level up mindlessly' point, I got bored of it super fast and just finished the game.

Lenna
03-27-2008, 03:17 AM
I've never really been a grinding person until I played in WoW, cause it's like, really impossible to do anything without grinding in there lol.

But yeah, with the Final Fantasy's I was more of a figure out where you get the highest XP from and then get a level or two higher then continue on. I've never really had the patience to grind to the highest level ever.

Dreddz
03-29-2008, 01:58 PM
IX would probably still remain one of my favourite Final Fantasys. My characters reached over the 80 mark, at that point I was able to beat Ozma so I had no reason to keep leveling. Trying to Level after 60 is a nightmare, but where theres a will theres a way.

Heath
03-31-2008, 12:37 PM
I enjoyed levelling up to get access to abilities early in the game, but by disc four when you've pretty much got all the abilities you need and can equip whichever abilities you want on your characters, I didn't really have much interest in it. I think the highest I've gotten up to in an FF game was 80-ish in FFVII, but I certainly never broke 70 in FFIX.

cloud21zidane16
04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I enjoyed leveling in IX because you learn many abilities on the way, it does get boring by disc 4 though. Its a shame you dont need to be anywhere near level 99 to even beat bosses like Ozma.

Roserashi
04-06-2008, 06:08 AM
If you want to level up a LOT. Go fight the Yans. Inflige Virus status to anyone who reached level 99 and FIGHT! If you fight 3 Yans and only one character is alive/don't have virus status, you gain a mighty 80k exp, and 120k if you have the level up ability. However, in case you do not know this:

These are the strongest random monster of the game. And are stronger than every single boss, appart from Ozma, Hades and maybe Quale.

They are extremly fast and they will most probably attack you 2 to 3 times EACH before you even get to move ONCE.

Don't fear their comet attack too much, but still pay attention. They have 3 random effects:
1-Miss (Happens quite often)
2-Will do very low damage (roughly 100)
3-Almost istant kill (over 6k damage, and an easy 9999 if you have low magic def)

I did that with Garnet, and grew up from level 60 to 80 in less than 3 hours.

Radeon
04-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Huh... Quale and Hades are laughable compared to group of three or even two Yans.
About Comet... it does random damage. And ignores magic defence.

Melodies of Life
04-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I love leveling up. I just killed a crapload of Yans and before I knew everyone was level 99.

Roserashi
04-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Funny tho that Yans Resist to Holy and are Weak to Shadow :P

unfinished fantasy
05-11-2008, 05:49 PM
... and how each character fills a specific role.could have been even better with one strong white mage instead of two

Super Sepiroth
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
what were them weird random battles about though?like with the squirrel asking for ore near the ice cave or the "pop Quiz" things near the black mage vilage :S they were soo confusing. I just attacked them and they ran lol

SeeDRankLou
05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
These are the strongest random monster of the game. And are stronger than every single boss, appart from Ozma, Hades and maybe Quale.

They are extremly fast and they will most probably attack you 2 to 3 times EACH before you even get to move ONCE.
Yans can be put to sleep, they're harmless.

unfinished fantasy
05-15-2008, 05:54 PM
what were them weird random battles about though?like with the squirrel asking for ore near the ice cave or the "pop Quiz" things near the black mage vilage :S they were soo confusing. I just attacked them and they ran lolintelligence test:mad:

Big D
05-16-2008, 02:46 AM
what were them weird random battles about though?like with the squirrel asking for ore near the ice cave or the "pop Quiz" things near the black mage vilage :S they were soo confusing. I just attacked them and they ran lolIf you answer all the Pop Quiz questions correctly, you win stuff. If you give the right gem to every friendly monster, then you get rewarded with a massive advantage in the Ozma battle.

ReloadPsi
05-16-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't think you ever need to be LV99 in FFIX, nowhere near in fact. So no, I've never done it. Since Ozma's the only thing I've still not done (and since I probably only need about ten more levels to have a more solid chance of defeating it; I hate leaving it up to luck) I'm not too concerned.

Shadowdeathrose
08-21-2008, 12:23 AM
I always go for the "ultimate" in a final fantasy it's always worth it... the achievment of doing it makes you feel better just looking at "lvl 99" on the screen it's brilliant and yeah IX is possibly the best FF for this. if not the BEST FF all round. Natural with a hint of fantasy i love it :D

Saber
08-21-2008, 02:07 AM
I liked getting up to level 99. The way I did it was fight some behemuth in the final dungeon with just one character (or two mages). Now I really like learning auto life, auto regen, and auto haste. Those three abilities make it worth while. While I got every ability of weapons and armor except for steiners excalibur I. I don't know what the name of it is. But with everyone else I can go through stats and see every ability.

Yellow
08-21-2008, 03:47 AM
If you get to level 100, do you still earn ap?

Saber
08-21-2008, 04:45 AM
If you get to level 100, do you still earn ap?

I think you still gain ap and exp although exp is worthless at level 99.