PDA

View Full Version : EA hostile takeover offer for Take-Two

Rostum
03-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Here's something i've just came across and it's a pretty good read...

Electronic Arts launches hostile offer for Take-Two - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080313/tc_nm/taketwo_ea_dc_3)

For those who don't know who Take-Two is, they are the developers of Bioshock, GTA, and 2k sports.

KentaRawr!
03-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Yeeeuck.

Buying out companies was never something I much cared for in a creative field, even if it's business oriented. It gives me chills.

Shoeberto
03-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Y'know, for about the past six months, I've been seeing things from EA that I haven't seen for them in years - creative releases, less emphasis on whoring out licenses, some definite improvements. Heck, I was about to think that they were actually finally listening to the public and changing for the better.

This completely nullifies all of that. Fuck EA and their bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: attempts at scoring another buck. I hope Take Two does anything possible to keep them at bay.

Vyk
03-14-2008, 08:01 AM
I thought this happened a long time ago.. after they bought out the NFL lisence so Take Two couldn't compete with them in football games

It was really funny when EA started licking its lips at Ubisoft and the freaking french government funded the company to keep EA away. I've never been a big fan of EA but they have their claws dug in everywhere these days. So I refuse to enjoy anything of theirs at full price if I even bother playing anything of theirs at all. They're not getting my money. If I pay for anything they developed or published, its used every time. Screw them

Markus. D
03-14-2008, 08:58 AM
But EA kind of fail at games these days :[...

Well, The Harry Potter ones anyways.

Cloudane
03-14-2008, 12:17 PM
EA are an innovation destroying disease and the fewer people that buy their crap the better.

As long as they have EA Sports though (even if it is the same tired old Tiger Woods game with slightly different button mashing techniques every time), they will likely remain mainstream.

Really not a fan of them after their ruthless buyout and destruction of Air Warrior, Ultima Online 2, Earth & Beyond etc etc etc. If they were half honest it wouldn't be so bad, but they always come at the companies with the usual "We support small innovative companies so we'll let you keep your company structure and culture and let you continue developing your game, just with extra financial support from us" routine before revealing that they lied and their only intention is to shut them down. Really annoys me.

Croyles
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
EA is the mafia of the gaming world and destroys nearly anything innovative.

Bolivar
03-14-2008, 10:43 PM
As much as this move looks dirty, and makes me sad for the developers of one of my favorite franchises, I have to come in defense of EA and say that they make alot of games that I personally enjoyed a hell of alot. Like with Westwood, they put out Red Alert 2 after being bought out by EA, and that was an amazing RTS. I guess something went wrong and the typical "shut down" thing happened. Years later they basically used the franchise name to put out a completely new RTS that was nothing like command & conquer at all, and you know what happened?

Generals was one of the best RTS I've ever played, probably my favorite.

I understand it's a different story for many other studios, but overall, alot of the games I've bought and enjoyed were by EA. The only really bad part about this I see is that there was reportedly no place in the contract for GTA developers.. I'm guessing they would basically dismantle the studio to lessen competition with their own games, only to bring back the franchise years later with a game nothing like the originals. I dont' know, we'll see.

Vyk
03-14-2008, 10:56 PM
I hate GTA so I'd almost be happy except its one of the most respected franchieses in modern gaming. I wouldn't wanna see it go down like that