PDA

View Full Version : Pure Poetry

Anno Domini
03-15-2008, 03:48 AM
i cannot express my love for ffx. i thought that the storyline was pure, evolving, living, breating, poetry. the tragedy of true love threatened by mortality. pressing onward to kill yourself in the name of people who hate and fear you. Uh! i love it!

did anyone else feel this way? why or why not?

Fantasy_Dragon
03-15-2008, 04:17 AM
I did. It's because of just what you said. It's just an amazing story with awesome graphics, gameplay, and sound design. Everything just fits and it's amazing.

Realm25
03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree. For a long LONG time I was a Final Fantasy 7 fanboy. But then, back near the end of 2002, I picked up X. I never looked back. Final Fantasy X is like playing the best video game, reading the best book, and watching the best movie all rolled into one. It's fun to play, and actually touches deep on your emotions. So far no other RPG has done this for me, on such a level as FFX.

Anno Domini
03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I agree. For a long LONG time I was a Final Fantasy 7 fanboy. But then, back near the end of 2002, I picked up X. I never looked back. Final Fantasy X is like playing the best video game, reading the best book, and watching the best movie all rolled into one. It's fun to play, and actually touches deep on your emotions. So far no other RPG has done this for me, on such a level as FFX.
Agreed, obviously. Im starting to wonder why there are people who dont like x:(

Eiko Guy
03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
There are so many moments that I just love about this game.
One of the biggest problems with it IMO though is that the journey never seems to get bigger. In the beginning you are fighting sin
In the end you are fighting sin. So it never seemed to gradally ramp up in importantness.

Renmiri
03-18-2008, 12:35 AM
I agree with all above: Pure poetry :love:

Vyk
03-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Its a personal thing. It touches you personally. Its not capable of touching everyone in the same way. Different people have different preferences. Therefor different requirements to get the same feeling of being touched deep down. Just doesn't do it for them the same. Unfortunately I'm one of them. I've played through the game 3 times and never beat it. I wish I could feel that way about it. But I have my own games that do that to me (hearts to Xenogears)

XxSephirothxX
03-18-2008, 06:29 AM
I found the game fun to play, and it told its story well enough, but I never cared much for any of the characters and didn't think much of the plot. It was all right. A step down from FFIX from an artistic standpoint, and a step up technically.

Anno Domini
03-19-2008, 01:32 AM
I agree with all above: Pure poetry :love:
Ha! Renmiri is on my side! Na na na na boo boo!:D

Roto13
03-19-2008, 06:54 AM
It would be a great story if so many of the characters didn't suck so much.

Tabris
03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree. This is still the best videogame I've ever played. I felt like I was watching a wonderful movie that I was lucky enough to participate in.

Simen
03-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Oh yes. Final Fantasy X is the best! Love everything about it. Great story, music and gameplay! My favorite game. No doubt! I'm gonna start to play it again soon I think :D

Roogle
03-19-2008, 04:40 PM
From a storyline standpoint, I think that the game performed adequately. From a gameplay standpoint, I think that the game might have left some things to be desired — mainly because I enjoyed the gameplay from its sequal more, and I feel that the sequel is a subpar game —

Captain Maxx Power
03-19-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't know about poetry, but it was a very good game with a cool storyline with a nice twist and some interesting characters. It's certainly miles above the travesty of FF12 that's for damn sure.

cally777
03-20-2008, 06:51 AM
I agree. Some of the dialogue is pure poetry. Then add music and graphics and you have something beautiful. The Macalania Woods scene comes to mind but there's plenty of others.

:choc::choc::choc:

Alucard von Elru
04-16-2008, 04:33 AM
One of the biggest problems with it IMO though is that the journey never seems to get bigger. In the beginning you are fighting sin
In the end you are fighting sin. So it never seemed to gradally ramp up in importantness.
That "problem" is one of the reasons I cite as FFX having some of the finest storytelling in the genre. Too many RPGs (especially other FFs) try far too hard to be these epic, bombastic events, and they lose a significant amount of their personal touch in the process.

Lost Odyssey is a fine example. Disc 1 was very, very personal and heartwarming, and was a journey of true self-discovery. It was quiet... it was heartwrenching... I love Disc 1, in spite of the game's iffy play mechanics. However, from the midway point of Disc 2 and onwards, the game loses its focus. The characters felt less real to me, the interactions more forced. The game became less about them and more about vague, generic backstory, explosions, and, you know... the offensively bombastic CG sequences many FFs are known for.

For me, FFX's story had a clarity the likes of which few other RPGs possess. You are thrust into an incredibly defined world, experiencing it through the eyes of a main character with whom you share ignorance. You discover everything together, but from the outset it becomes clear that you have a certain goal. As you said, it's about Sin. In the end, that never changes. But that's one of its greatest strengths; the fact that your ultimate goal is in sight, and although there are certainly some nice twists along the way, that goal is important. The story is kept somewhat "small" in scope, and as a result the twists have more impact. The game is very much about its characters, and I thoroughly enjoyed FFX's many small scenes that simply had characters camping, and discussing various things with one another. The characters were aware of their ultimate goal, and they were journeying towards it together. It never lost focus.

And yes, I agree, FFX's plot was quite the work of poetry. I loved the fact that your characters were telling their stories to one another, and that unlike many games with this form of narration (here's looking at you, Legacy of Kain!), you actually not only reached the point of narration, but you go past it. I loved how you knew what the primary antagonistic force in the world was right from the beginning. Sin was a truly fascinating being. Its backstory, its very existence... it had this terrifying, elemental quality to it... The game's Yevon religion is one of the only religions to be crafted in a game that made any kind of logical sense. It was incredibly defined, and it felt like it truly had history and gravity. Contrast this with the generic trappings of Grandia II, which basically had a completely faceless, vague religion (that mirrored its vague, boring world). The whole setting of Spira was one of the most thoughtfully crafted worlds in every area of its design to ever hit the genre, as far as I'm concerned. It really felt lived-in, in a way that few other games manage to get across.

So yeah... I like FFX a bit. :love:

Anno Domini
04-28-2008, 02:39 AM
wow. that summed it up, didnt it! ^^)

Jessweeee♪
05-03-2008, 01:46 AM
I will be a FFX fangirl until the day I die n.n

Anno Domini
05-03-2008, 01:51 AM
^.^

Nifleheim7
05-06-2008, 04:08 AM
I you like character driven stories you have to LOVE FFX!
I do.