PDA

View Full Version : It took me years to realise this!!

blackmage_nuke
03-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Compare

this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIRf4u5Bz4) at 2:23
and
this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBM3bX7xdw) at 0:40

Very similar sort of riff in two very different styles such that its hard to notice. Nobuo, the master of subtle self reference!!

Its a common topic but what ff songs sound like a song from another ff game?

The only other one i can think of right now is Aeris' theme and Celes' theme

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-16-2008, 11:47 AM
There's a bit in Eyes on Me that sounds exactly like Relm's Theme.

I doubt most--if any--of these similarities are intentional, though; they result naturally from being wrought in the style of a common composer.

blackmage_nuke
03-16-2008, 12:02 PM
There's a bit in Eyes on Me that sounds exactly like Relm's Theme.Where? I can't seem to hear it and the curiousity is killing me!

I doubt most--if any--of these similarities are intentional, though; they result naturally from being wrought in the style of a common composer.
Intentional or not I do find them mildly amusing.

crono_logical
03-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I doubt most--if any--of these similarities are intentional, though; they result naturally from being wrought in the style of a common composer.I find that incredibly true with most stuff by Kajiura Yuki :p

The Ceej
03-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I don't know about Final Fantasy music in the style of other Final Fantasy music, but I can think of some Final Fantasy music in the style of other music.

The beginning of Gau=The Star Spangled Banner.
A part in the middle of Clash On The Big Bridge=Bohemian Rhapsody.

And there's more, but I'm getting ready for work and can't be assed to think of them.

Takara
03-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm trying to compare those songs in my head (Celes's theme and Aeris' theme, Relm's theme and Eyes on Me) and I can't find the similarities. Although the first few bars of Aeris Theme do sound like the beginning of the Aria.

The most blatant one I've found are Premonition (from FFVIII) and Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII. Their intros are very similar, but I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.

Fynn
03-18-2008, 10:13 PM
You know the musical "The Dance of the Vampires", or something like that, by Roman Polański? There's a theme there whose beginning is identical to the FFVII main theme. I wonder which one was first...

Roogle
03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I have some video game tracks that blend and merge with other songs. A notable example is that the Underground Theme from Super Mario Bros. sounds a lot like Oops! ... I Did It Again.

Bolivar
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
One part of The 2nd world's overworld theme sounds a little like Aeris' theme and/or FFVII's overworld theme... can't remember which.

But yeah, some of Uematsu's music seems to repeat, good catch on the original post, and yes, I always thought celes and aeris' themes were eerily similar.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 05:57 AM
You know the end credits of FFVIII.. the music used in that is used several times.. including in FFXII

plus i found a piece of music used in FFXII in an anime(the melody in the dungeon where you have to beat that shiva bitch.. got lodged in my mind cause i was down there for so long xD).. i dont know who inspired who in that case though..

Rostum
03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
You know the end credits of FFVIII.. the music used in that is used several times.. including in FFXII

I think that's Ahead on our Way. Either way, it is played in every Final Fantasy's credits (and in the intro to FF1 I believe, though haven't played it in ages).

Like most musicians and artists, there's going to be a lot of similarities in Nobuo's work. It's not like he's reusing things as an easy way out, but it's just his style.

Fynn
03-26-2008, 01:58 PM

I think that's Ahead on our Way. Either way, it is played in every Final Fantasy's credits (and in the intro to FF1 I believe, though haven't played it in ages).

The piece is called 'Final Fantasy' and is part of the series since the beginning, pretty much like 'The Prelude'.

Roogle
03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
The Prologue is the one that plays at the beginning of Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy XII, too. It is commonly mixed up with The Prelude.

Fynn
03-26-2008, 06:45 PM
The Prologue is the one that plays at the beginning of Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy XII, too. It is commonly mixed up with The Prelude.

Yeah, I forgot. It's just that some OSTs have this as 'Prologue' in the track lists, and some have 'Final Fantasy'. It's also called 'Final Fantasy' on Phantasmagoria... And the last but one track from the FFIX OST (excluding all the Coke commercial tracks) is called 'Melodies of Life ~ Final Fantasy'. Then it's called 'Prologue' again in FFXII... So I guess both names apply. 'The Prelude' is the harp arpeggio one.