PDA

View Full Version : I Never Understood Why Tidus Kept Believing That He Could Return To Zanarkand.

Bakamut
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I mean, wasn't Zanarkand destroyed by Sin? If he returned, he'd just be returning to a city of rubble and he'd be seeing the beginning of Sin's long reign of tyranny. People would have been confused and a hell of a lot less calm than they are 1000 years later. I think he probably would have been a lot worse off than he is in Spira. And it's not like he can return to being a big Blitzball star right away, I mean, come on, Zanarkand remained in ruins. I might have missed something in the storyline but this really confused me throughout the game.

Tallulah
03-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I guess he thought he had been catapulted forward in time 1000 years, and upon seeing Auron, who took him from his Zanarkand to Spira, in Spira, he believed that he could just travel back somehow.

Ichimonji
03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Zanarkand is a huge place. Sin definitely did not destroy the whole city, nor did it kill everybody. It's not like he wouldn't have a home to return to, and since he's a star; I'm sure he could find somewhere to stay until his home gets rebuilt. I'm sure with their technology, they could rebuild faster than normal.

This is, of course, in the context of Dream Zanarkand where Tidus actually lived. The real Zanarkand that took place a thousand years ago is in ruins now because of the massive war that took place between Zanarkand and Bevelle.

Vyk
03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah I always just figured he assumed since Auron seemed to travel in time, he thought he could somehow too

Bakamut
03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Zanarkand is a huge place. Sin definitely did not destroy the whole city, nor did it kill everybody. It's not like he wouldn't have a home to return to, and since he's a star; I'm sure he could find somewhere to stay until his home gets rebuilt. I'm sure with their technology, they could rebuild faster than normal.

This is, of course, in the context of Dream Zanarkand where Tidus actually lived. The real Zanarkand that took place a thousand years ago is in ruins now because of the massive war that took place between Zanarkand and Bevelle.
Ah, thanks for that, it makes a bit more sense. I was unaware that there was a war between Zanarkand and Bevelle though. Is it mentioned in X or X-2? If it's mentioned in X I must have missed that bit of the story from not concentrating or something.

leejihoon
03-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't remember all of the places, but one place that mentions the war is while crossing the Moonflow.

Ichimonji
03-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, it's mentioned a few times in FFX, moreso near the end I believe. However, the war is touched upon in greater detail in X-2.

Chewy
03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
He couldnt accept that Zanarkand was gone (even though its only somewhere else on Spira, so in theory he could have gone back) so he kept beliving, until he found the first Jecht sphere

Peter_20
09-16-2008, 03:09 PM

This is, of course, in the context of Dream Zanarkand where Tidus actually lived. The real Zanarkand that took place a thousand years ago is in ruins now because of the massive war that took place between Zanarkand and Bevelle.Zanarkand would've been fairly rebuilt long ago if there were survivors.
Besides, the city is offically considered "just ruins" in the game.

I do not doubt a powerful entity like Sin could destroy the whole city.
After all, it did threaten the entire world.

jeo2388
09-22-2008, 08:37 AM
I do not doubt a powerful entity like Sin could destroy the whole city.
After all, it did threaten the entire world.

Jessweeee♪
09-23-2008, 06:12 PM
It's still his home :p

He probably has friends, or misses his technology.

jeo2388
09-24-2008, 12:23 AM
he's probably just too naive to accept that his home is dead and gone. Remember in the game when Wakka told him that Zanarkand was all ruins and rubble, he kept saying, "that can't be my Zanarkand". He had no idea how powerful Sin was. He thought it would be impossible for one monster to destroy such an advance City. But he wasn't stupid. As soon as he saw with his own eyes the ruins of Zanarkand, he knew and actually said to himself, he could never go back.

Dr.M
12-23-2008, 10:55 PM
he was an optimistic idiot =P

sir helix
12-24-2008, 03:51 AM
i belive that the thyme of the game was Hope, thank about it.

Dr.M
12-26-2008, 08:37 AM
he wanted to go home but really he was already there :P

Crimson
12-26-2008, 01:09 PM
He was a sports celebrity in Denial. You see this stuff on the news everyday.

Mirage
12-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I think he just hoped for the Fayth to be able to continue their summoning.

Sparks Electric
12-27-2008, 09:43 PM
I think he meant that he wanted to go back to his old life as it was in Zanarkand before Sin came along and blew it to kingdom come. He wanted to escape to something he knew and felt safe in, not this new strange world where you were never safe and everyone is dismal.

Lenne11120
02-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Sometimes people don't know what is going on around them and they just concentrate on what they want to do Ti dus wanted to go to Zanarkand so he didn't let anyone get in the way of his hope......cept Yuna!!!

Goldenboko
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Denial it's kind of a human element. Imagine if suddenly you where thrown in his world, it'd be difficult accepting that this is the only reality.

champagne supernova
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
And he didn't realise he was living in a dream. All he knew was that he was at Zanarkand, got spat out somewhere else (where he met Rikku) and then got spat out in Besaid. So, people telling him Zanarkand is all ruins makes no sense to him, because he was just there. And I don't believe Auron tells him that Zanarkand is destroyed. So, in his mind, Zanarkand will still be fine (albeit slightly damaged), and he can return there and restart his life.

Skyblade
02-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Maechan was the only one who really mentioned the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle in X, it was discussed a lot more in X-2.

After the events in Zanarkand, fly back to Gagazet and Maechan should be there at the base of the mountain. He will tell you of the war if you listen a couple times.

Masamunemaster
02-08-2009, 02:08 AM
I thought the war was mentioned by lulu the first time you go to the calm lands