PDA

View Full Version : FFT vs FF12:RW

WhiteEagle
03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Which do you like better? I kinda dig the whole leading-your-armies-in-a-wave-of-destruction thing. But FFT did have some strategy that was pretty unique. I guess it depends on whether you like more, character-focused development, or more just building up monster armies to kill stuff for you. The weapons-making system for FF12:RW was kinda neat though.

Crossblades
03-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Both games are really good, but I like XII:RW more than FFT, because I liked the character deveopment in that game. And I love controlling my characters with the stylus. Also, the battles were pretty action packed.

hhr1dluv
03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
I really shouldn't be responding to this thread, as I have played neither game. But somehow I felt compelled to say that I think Tactics is insanely difficult to play. It has a crazy learning curve. Maybe I just suck, but I seriously have had to study so I could learn many of the game's convoluted (IMO) gameplay aspects.

Fr3nZ!i
03-19-2008, 03:56 PM
lol i agree ff10-2 rocked but ff12 was my favorite though i haven't played the newer version yet...fftactics is great but ff12 revolutionized rpgs for me...the way you had to get some of those rare beasties to appear was nutz! Tactics did have the insane amount of abilities to learn though...that was a plus, but ff10's ability gaining system was top notch the best...EVER (imo) lets hear what you guys think!!

Skyblade
03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Actually, I'd give FFTA the award for most balanced battle system of the tactical FFs. Both the original FFT and FFXII:RW had some rather annoying aspects to their gameplay. While people argue that the plot and character development of FFTA was inferior to the original, I think the gameplay had a more streamlined, easier to handle style.

Revenant Wings was ok, but the battles were very lopsided, and very one note. Some of them were so easy as to be not worth it, others were so difficult that you felt like breaking your DS. It followed right along the FFXII tradition of making fights difficult by letting enemies destroy your entire force with no chance of survival (most bosses in the last two chapters' quests/side-quests have an ability that instantly wipes out your entire Esper troop, no matter how fortified they are. That's poor game design). The missions offered little to no variety in their objectives. Sure, there's a couple "grab the food/minerals" quests, and at least one stealth based sneak through, but there were essentially all just gather as large a force together as you could, and rush through and hope you don't die. Then too, the rock-paper-scissors effect was broken as well. Flying units were generally more frail, and, since they're weak against ranged units, who can pick their targets and focus fire, they drop like flies and are generally completely useless (including your flying leaders). The EXP system is ridiculous, since healing incurs no EXP bonus the way dealing damage does, so Penelo winds up five to ten levels below everyone else even if you use her in every battle. The group dynamics are poorly executed, but I blame that on the game being for the DS, which is definitely not built for an RTS game.

And, wow, that rant was a lot longer than I meant for it to be. Revenant Wings was an ok game, but if they make another game in the same style and don't iron out the kinks, I will be rather upset.

ljkkjlcm9
03-19-2008, 07:43 PM
I actually found flying units to be the most useful. Idk, maybe that's just me. Bring around a bunch of flying units with the one mage in the game, and the mage can take out any group of ranged monsters in 1 second that may threaten your flying monsters.

I enjoyed the game, though at times it was frustrating. I know there was one level where I literally just ran around in circles having enemies chase me, as I summoned a large group of monsters somewhere else. THEN, after I got a big enough group, ran the monsters by them, killed some monsters, then repeated the entire process. Took awhile but I did end up clearing the mission.

THE JACKEL

Bolivar
03-21-2008, 09:26 PM
To me, FFT is a classic among classics in the RPG genre, whereas Revenant Wings is just a handheld game that I enjoy the hell out of.

Roto13
03-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Considering Revenant Wings is the only Final Fantasy game I can't be assed to finish because I get so little enjoyment out of it, Tactics would win by default.

Dragonsoul
03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Before last fall when these FF T(PSP) and FF XII: RW came out, FF T(PS 1) was my 6th fav game, and I've given 10/10 to 6 games only. FF XII: RW was great and I enjoyed it a lot, but it barely doesn't get into that top 6 list. I beat it with 100% completion rate, and am working on FF Tactics(PSP) right now, beating the important half of the sidequests, and the game is ultimate! But I wonder if I need to readjust my ratings because maybe I'm underrating FF XII: RW and slightly overrating FF Tactics. I remember in 2006 I beat again after a long time my fav three games(FF VI, which stood the test of time and still is #1 by far!. Chrono Trigger, which still stood the test of time as my #2 game and is the only one that could hold a candle to FF VI but still gets blown away. Also Zelda: 3, which is extremely ultimate but I'm not sure if I should still rank it as #3 game for me, I have to think about it). I didn't beat FF VII(my 4th fav game) and FF X(my 5th fav game) because it would take a long time.

I'm thinking that FF XII: RW could move up to the level of these top 6, so it's extremely difficult for me to decide which is best. I'm also considering that FF XII: RW just came out, I beat it 100% completion rate, starting the day it came out when I bought it, and that I've already beaten FF Tactics before.

Gargh, too many great games! FF XII: RW was everything I expected it to be and more! It ranks around the same level of FF Tactics! :)