PDA

View Full Version : Job interview LOLOLOL

Rye
03-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Rye is planning an escape from TJ Maxx, land of the thrifty and inquisitively insensitive menopausal female, bane to fruity teenage girls with self-image issues who refuse to fold ugly clothes under $100 dollars properly. You may be able to help her. :bigsmile:

I applied to Gamestop a few days ago, and I got a call back already. I'm surprised because I filled out the application with half-assed effort. I think it's because I have retarded amounts of experience, considering the fact that I've done everything in the store besides managerial tasks. I have a job interview this Wednesday. I'm nervous excited. I'm confident I'll be able to do everything there fine, because I'm so used to register, and the store is like, a 1/10th of the size of TJ Maxx, so cleaning will be minimal to non-existent compared to TJ Maxx. I'm actually more nervous about the fact that I don't play video games nearly as much as the other employees do, I bet. So I need to catch up on that so I don't seem weird!

Also, what do you recommend I wear to the interview? I dunno how casual I should be. I'm thinking a polo and tan pants or something. I would prefer jeans. Hmmmmm.

tl;dr version: Do you have any job interviews coming up? Nervous? Excited? :kaoclove:

Momiji
03-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Dammit Ryechu, I wanna work at GameStop and they refuse to call me back. All 3 stores refused me more than once, probably because I don't have a lot of experience. How the hell am I supposed to get any experience if no one will hire me? ;-;

I want a job interview. :(

Miriel
03-18-2008, 12:44 AM
I have to do "job interviews" on a more regular basis than most people.

My last one didn't go so well. Client was a bitch. I used to be really nervous before consultations but not so much anymore.

You just have to be confident and friendly. People respond well to positive energy. Don't be afraid to laugh and show personality at your interview. People are always under the assumption that you have to be serious when interviewing, but a nice personable attitude can get your really far.

I have another consultation with a client coming up soon. The lady sounded sweet over emails, so hopefully it goes well and I book the job.

Rye
03-18-2008, 12:44 AM
Dammit Ryechu, I wanna work at GameStop and they refuse to call me back. All 3 stores refused me more than once, probably because I don't have a lot of experience. How the hell am I supposed to get any experience if no one will hire me? ;-;

I want a job interview. :(

EEEEE-YOOOO E-YOOOOO MOTIVATIONAL POSTER TIME!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ryechuuu/lexmom95-hanging-in-there-poster.jpg

It's tough at first, Justin, but you can do it! It took me about a year until I got a proper response to my applications. Now is a good time to apply because they start hiring around now for the summer. Even if you just put babysitting or something on there, put some kind of substance to your application!

And thanks, Miriel! I have a hard time being completely serious at auditions/interviews. I like to smile and be cheery.

Yamaneko
03-18-2008, 01:18 AM
The lady sounded sweet over emails...
:|

Tell them you frequent a Final Fantasy community. They'll probably hire you on the spot. Tell them Cloud Strife is your hero and you recreate Aeris' death scene on a regular basis.

Be a girl.

Woodinator
03-18-2008, 01:22 AM
I hope I'll have a job interview for a vet clinic in the near future O.o

so far i've only got one call back offering time for me to shadow a vet... which is something i guess

Rye
03-18-2008, 01:25 AM
The lady sounded sweet over emails...
:|

Tell them you frequent a Final Fantasy community. They'll probably hire you on the spot. Tell them Cloud Strife is your hero and you recreate Aeris' death scene on a regular basis.

Be a girl.

So basically, go in with pigtails, some fruity Hello Kitty japanese shirt with a Hello Kitty hairband and tell them I'm saving up for a replica of Cloud's sword, so I can cosplay as Tranny Cloud? :bigsmile:

Tallulah
03-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Good luck, Rye!

I've had my fair share of job interviews, especially when I was job hunting over the past 18 months (well, up until around June last year). Just be yourself, sound interested in the position (but of course you are! :) ), and above all, good luck! :D

Also my advice is to slightly over-dress for the position. For example if the uniform is quite casual, e.g. a polo with jeans, go a little more formally, in black trousers/skirt, and a nice blouse. That gives the employer a positive impression.

Again, best of luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy Gamestop more than TJ Maxx! :p

Chemical
03-18-2008, 01:38 AM
I recently was employed as a rock climbing instructor and just today I started my job as a peer tutor. Both job actually fell into my lap and I instantly got them without needing an interview...

But I'm pretty good in interviews - I think the big thing is to just be genuine. Modest but confident; Energetic but mature; Outgoing but a great listener.

Parker
03-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Gamestop? I hope you like the awkward "flirting" of a hundred nerds every day.

Rye
03-18-2008, 01:55 AM

You're incredible. xD

Yeah, it will be awkward, but honestly, I will take it ANY DAY over being yelled at by mean menopausal customers who ask me if I'm pregnant when I obviously don't look it.

Necronopticous
03-18-2008, 02:04 AM
You're a cute, charismatic girl applying for a job at a nerdy video game store. You don't need advice; you're already hired.

XxSephirothxX
03-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but I think Gamestop is supposed to be a pretty :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty workplace. They seem to have pretty high turnover on people working there too. But maybe you'll work at a good one or I could just be plain wrong. Hopefully so.

Being female, knowing something about videogames, and alreadying having retail experience will almost certainly be enough to get you the job. Can't imagine you'd need to wear anything dressier than what you described, either.

Roto13
03-18-2008, 02:24 AM
I had a phone job interview today. I did pretty well. I know because I got hired on the spot. xP

Rye
03-18-2008, 02:38 AM
You're a cute, charismatic girl applying for a job at a nerdy video game store. You don't need advice; you're already hired.

Yay!

And Az, it could NOT be any worse than TJ Maxx. xD

Freya
03-18-2008, 02:47 AM
I has one tomorrow. I was worried cause of the allergic reaction I had but it's all gone. They would never hire a person who looks like a leper :O

Grats on the interview Rye! I'd like to work at a gamestop but there isn't one in my town :/

Shoeberto
03-18-2008, 03:16 AM
I had an interview the same Saturday that Brawl came out. I found out today I got it. Yay!

Rye
03-18-2008, 03:17 AM
I had an interview the same Saturday that Brawl came out. I found out today I got it. Yay!

Hahaha, when I was picking it up, I applied as well. Congrats!

Hambone
03-18-2008, 04:22 AM
I has one tomorrow. I was worried cause of the allergic reaction I had but it's all gone. They would never hire a person who looks like a leper :O

Grats on the interview Rye! I'd like to work at a gamestop but there isn't one in my town :/

There's no Gamestop in Hello Kitty World?

You'll do fine Rye! Just show personality!

Namelessfengir
03-18-2008, 05:19 AM
i had one last Thursday, good environment, i think i might get it. just got a bad feeling when i saw the faces when i said ive never had tim hortens coffee. (they dont have one in my town and i dont drink enough coffee for me to go a goddamn coffee shop)

you should talk of increased revenue from having a cute girl working there. and remember you can do anything if you dont know it you'll learn it

Balzac
03-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I was supposed to have an interview at Twisted Studio, but due to my internet access going down, I couldn't get my portfolio uploaded in time for it. So I have to wait until another time. But, my friend owns the company, so it's hardly like an interview at all.

Breine
03-18-2008, 12:00 PM

My thoughts exactly. You're a girl that likes video games and with actual experience in the subject. Which video game store wouldn't want to hire you? Just be yourself and things will be fine.

Madame Adequate
03-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Hahaha, when I was picking it up, I applied as well. Congrats!

What the hell when did you even get a Wii?

Anyway yeah I shan't QQ. Suffice it to say that my hunt for an interview continues apace.

Ouch!
03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm going home one weekend for the specific purpose of finding a job. Fun, fun. =D

escobert
03-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Not atm but when I move I'll be needing a new job :p

Avarice-ness
03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I had an interveiw last week, and I start there today!

Every interveiw I've had I've gotten the job, so really to me, any retail interview is an autojob.

I wore black pants and a nice green tunic shirt, knowing that their dress code is casual. So today, I get to wear Jeans~ Yay~

Flying Mullet
03-18-2008, 03:48 PM

My thoughts exactly. You're a girl that likes video games and with actual experience in the subject. Which video game store wouldn't want to hire you? Just be yourself and things will be fine.
I was thinking the same things as these guys when I read your post. A cute girl working at a video game store is worth her weight in gold. Please be sure to share some of the corny conversations you have and pick-up lines you receive as 95% of your customer base tries to flirt with you, especially the 13 year-olds.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
The last interview I had was in late April for my current job. I dressed casual since it they were still doing work on the place and the fact that I applied to work in a kitchen. Ironically enough, the guy who hired me got fired due to having a drinking problem. He asked me about Star Wars and what I studied and we talked a bit about Taoism. It was odd. Nice guy aside from his alcoholism and temper.

I am wanting a different job though. Working in kitchens blows at times. Plus I want a change of scenery. Won't quit til I have another job. I also might wait until I worked a year there so I can say I have a year's worth experience in a kitchen rather than 10 months worth. It is the longest job I ever had since all the ones before were summer only through government sponsored programmes.

I thought there are no girls on the internets! :O

rubah
03-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I've had two interviews in my life xD one for whatta-burger and one for my fellowship. They were vastly different xD

Rye
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM

I was thinking the same things as these guys when I read your post. A cute girl working at a video game store is worth her weight in gold. Please be sure to share some of the corny conversations you have and pick-up lines you receive as 95% of your customer base tries to flirt with you, especially the 13 year-olds.

Bwahahah. xD I definitely will if I get the job. I'm still kinda nervous!

So... you have beautiful eyes... like Aerith. I know, because I have a life size poster of her. I kiss it sometimes... :bigsmile:

Flying Mullet
03-18-2008, 06:51 PM
You'll be just like this girl, except in a video game store (warning, some swear words are in the article if your ears are sensitive):
Nation In Love With Girl From Record Store | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28379)

Peegee
03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
It's a girl working at a video game store. You will develop either proper self esteem for once, or develop it and let it get to your head so much that you'll even be conceited! Okay no, you'll always remember it's just a bunch of gamer geeks.

But man, the flirting. Watch out they have movie coupons!

Flying Mullet
03-18-2008, 07:08 PM
or develop it and let it get to your head so much that you'll even be conceited!
I vote for this option. See how many boys' self-esteem and dreams you can crush. Be creative! :monster:

Rye
03-18-2008, 07:08 PM
It's a girl working at a video game store. You will develop either proper self esteem for once, or develop it and let it get to your head so much that you'll even be conceited! Okay no, you'll always remember it's just a bunch of gamer geeks.

I love you PG. xD It'll patch up the gaping hole in my self-esteem that I got from all mean old ladies in TJ Maxx asking if I was pregnant.

Peegee
03-18-2008, 08:22 PM

I love you PG. xD It'll patch up the gaping hole in my self-esteem that I got from all mean old ladies in TJ Maxx asking if I was pregnant.

=( that's evil dood. I'd throw water in their face!

Madame Adequate
03-18-2008, 08:28 PM
or develop it and let it get to your head so much that you'll even be conceited!
I vote for this option. See how many boys' self-esteem and dreams you can crush. Be creative! :monster:

I think my fave tactic here would be for her to act super interested in some game or another, get them talking about it, wait until they brag about some achievement, and then laugh in their face and say "Hah! My boyfriend did that in half the time, nub!" at which point I burst in and start yelling at them like Jack Bauer.

Then I slap them across the face with my Barbed Hell Penis.

Rye
03-18-2008, 08:49 PM

I think my fave tactic here would be for her to act super interested in some game or another, get them talking about it, wait until they brag about some achievement, and then laugh in their face and say "Hah! My boyfriend did that in half the time, nub!" at which point I burst in and start yelling at them like Jack Bauer.

Then I slap them across the face with my Barbed Hell Penis.

I... I.... xD

War Angel
03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I've been discharged recently, so I'm looking for a serious job... my problem is that while I'm fairly talented and also have a lot of experience, I am not all too knowledgeable in certain areas, especially various computer science $hit... and I'm not too mathematically-aligned, either.

Still, being fairly confident, I tend to ace most interviews.. which gets me into jobs I have zero clue on how to perform. O_O Then, on my first day, I'm like DURRR, 'cause I don't know $hit! :p

Plus, all the nice, fun jobs don't pay much, and the boring, strenuous jobs (like Q&A, for example) pay a LOT more. I'm not in dire need of money, but hey, why should I do something, when I can get paid twice or thrice as much, doing something else? Dilemma. :-\

Roogle
03-18-2008, 10:24 PM
I have been interviewing at various companies for about two months now. I was hired last week after an extensive interview spanning over the phone and in person after a single day. I find that my interviews are starting to last longer and longer and that I have more technical things to discuss in an interview than simply telling them about myself based on my character traits.

I applied to Gamestop a few days ago, and I got a call back already. I'm surprised because I filled out the application with half-assed effort. I think it's because I have retarded amounts of experience, considering the fact that I've done everything in the store besides managerial tasks. I have a job interview this Wednesday. I'm nervous excited.

I think that means that you got it. You should spend part of the interview asking specific questions about the job itself — kind of like you are a consultant coming in from the outside wanting to know how you can help, right?

Strawberry_Mew
03-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Good Luck Rye <3 I recently had a job interview last month on Feb 15th and I got hired on the spot <3 I love my new job but working at a Gamestop would be my Heaven XDD I work as a house keeper right now and I am enjoying it exp my feet are killing me XD

Rye
03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the good luck wishes!

I went in for my interview. I think it went pretty well. My hours were perfect for them, and when he asked me hypothetical situation questions about dealing with customers, he said I did well and kept in mind that the customer is always right, etc. I had good experience because I've worked nearly a year in retail and did quite a lot there. And he said I had a fair knowledge of games, have used nearly all of the systems, etc, which was good. I kind of think the gaming knowledge was my weakest link, because I'm not as hardcore of a gamer as a lot of the workers there, but apparently I answered those questions well enough. He said he'd call me in a few days, and that he has a few more interviews to go through. He also said he'd call my manager from TJ Maxx as well, which is kind of ugh ugh ugh, but I didn't show it and was cool about it.

I'm kind of optimistic because I don't think they'd bother calling my place of work if I wasn't worth hiring. I just wish I thought to like, quickly look up a ton of 360 games so that I was just a little more confident and knowledgeable with that. Be honest, e-pals, does it seem like I have a good chance of being hired? :jess:

Flying Mullet
03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Be honest, e-pals, does it seem like I have a good chance of being hired? :jess:

A cute girl working at a video game store is worth her weight in gold.
I'm sure you do. You can learn any gaming knowledge that will help your customers, but you can't learn being a girl (unless you get an expensive surgery).

Madame Adequate
03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Sounds like a pretty good chance, yah! I think what Nec said is true, though. Pretty girl in game store = surefire hit. xD Well done not letting on about the manager thing, I hear they hate it when you bitch about past employers. And it's EXACTLY the sort of thing I would do with aplomb. xD I think your chances are strong :jess:

Rye
03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Thank you! I'm really hoping I'm getting hired, I'm desperate for a job, and I think Gamestop would be great for me! ;;

Tallulah
03-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Glad it went well, Rye. When do you find out? :)

Flying Mullet
03-19-2008, 09:55 PM
He said he'd call me in a few days, and that he has a few more interviews to go through.

Breine
03-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Glad it went well. Waiting to hear if you've gotten the job is pretty nerve wrecking, though. Hang in there.. your chances are probably very good.

Tallulah
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
He said he'd call me in a few days, and that he has a few more interviews to go through.

Cheers, FM, I must learn to actually read posts... :p

Again, good luck! :)

Kirobaito
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
I've only had one real job, and don't plan on working again, so I've only had one interview. I basically walked in and she asked when I could start. There was very, very little to the process. We just had to pass a background check and drug test, basically.

Jess
03-20-2008, 12:10 AM
I had a couple of interviews for a couple of office jobs last year, but they were more like a series of tests. I had to carry out a typing test, data entry test, and a grammar test. I got both jobs, which were as a data entry agent for a company called Flying Flowers and a customer service advisor for O2 Insurance.

For my bar job I didn't have an interview. I just asked the bar manager of a local pub that I had gotten to know pretty well if he had any vacancies and he asked for my mobile number. A couple of days later I got a text message saying, "Hey Jess, when can you come in for training?" :jess:

I've never had an interview where I haven't ended up getting the job, but I've had jobs where I've applied and not got an interview. I'm surprised I've never had a failed interview as I usually get all nervous and muddle my words.

Rye
03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
I got the job, y'alls. Thanks for the support. Now I can QUIT TJ MAXX. :bigsmile:

Madame Adequate
03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Now I hate everyone :jess:

Flying Mullet
03-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Huzzah! :beer:

Congrats Rye! :bigsmile:

scrumpleberry
03-24-2008, 07:00 PM
CONGRATULATIONSISMS

:cookie:

I hope you really enjoy it there. I wouldn't worry about not being enough into games: just checking IGN now and again would probably give you enough info on new releases.

Is TJ Maxx the same store as TK Maxx in the UK..? This has always confused me...

Aerith's Knight
03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Great job, Rye!

I knew you could do it :)

Breine
03-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Congrats on getting the job!

Madame Adequate
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
Is TJ Maxx the same store as TK Maxx in the UK..? This has always confused me...

Yup, they're the same. Dunno why that letter differs, but hey.