PDA

View Full Version : Wii is for Grannies

Shlup
03-19-2008, 05:23 AM
My grandparents got a Wii. They're like... almost 80. And now my grandpa's consistently better at bowling than I am!

They decided to get one because, apparently, everyone at their Bible study has one and it's been really helping them get more active. The day I set it up we played two games of bowling and a round of golf and they were too sore to go to church the next day. My grandma went to church the day after her mastectomy for Christ's sake (literally, ha).

Do you know old people who have a Wii? How do you feel about this.

I, personally, think it's awesome. Playing video games with my grandparents is super fun.

Arc_Master_14
03-19-2008, 05:41 AM
my great auntie has one she is going psycho on it she plays Wii sports and thats it

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-19-2008, 05:47 AM
I remember reading something in Kotaku about a significant portion of Japanese elderly (most grandparents) have Wiis. I wonder if the whole Wii Fit thing will help sell more to older generations as well?

Necronopticous
03-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Well, Nintendo has definitely done what they set out to do.

XxSephirothxX
03-19-2008, 05:53 AM
The United States government should offer free Wiis to seniors over the age of 80 who willingly trade in their drivers license.

rubah
03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Stu's parents aren't that old but they're entranced by his wii and DS both.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-19-2008, 06:02 AM
The United States government should offer free Wiis to seniors over the age of 80 who willingly trade in their drivers license.

Wait for the release of Mario Kart Wii and they can bundle it.

ljkkjlcm9
03-19-2008, 07:38 AM
There are actually nursing homes that bought Wii for their residents, I remember reading an article about it some time back.

I remember bringing my Wii to my friend's house last year for spring break. His dad was completely against video games, but we got him to play some Wii and he loved it.

THE JACKEL

Germ Hamee
03-19-2008, 07:59 AM
There was a thing on the local news that went into a retirement home that has weekly Wii Bowling. Seeing all those old people getting so excited over virtual bowling was pretty much adorable.

I think it's pretty cool, but I wonder how many of these "non-gamers" that buy Wii's will ever venture past WiiSports.

Montoya
03-19-2008, 08:29 AM
My friends parents bought a Wii for themselves and not for him, so I thought that was weird. :p

Miriel
03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Boyfriend's parents got themselves a Wii. They're not Grandparent old, but still, it's kinda funny.

If I had the money, I would get my grandparents a Wii, I think it'd be super cute watching them play.

Sarc the Swordsman
03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
My best friends parents frequently play on the Wii they bought her. It's weird, but cool. I wish my parents were more like that! They used to play games, but then sort of quit and see them as 'boring' now.

Momiji
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
My grandma's always complaining about how boring her life is, so I wish she'd buy a video game console and shut up. I know she'd like the Wii, but she doesn't like spending money.

Skyblade
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Out of curiosity, do the elderly folks who play the game ever accidently send the Wii-mote flying through the TV? Or are they not quite that active yet?

It's cool. The more gamers, the better. I can't wait to see Jack Thompson's complaint that the Wii is turning our elderly into mass murdering psychotics.

Roogle
03-19-2008, 03:07 PM
There was a thing on the local news that went into a retirement home that has weekly Wii Bowling. Seeing all those old people getting so excited over virtual bowling was pretty much adorable.

Yes, I thought of that local news story, too. The 9News Article - A Bowling League Without A Bowling Ball (http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=87717) aired on the local news a couple of weeks ago.

Wuggly Blight
03-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Well the Queens well known to of played the Wii (shes very techno savvy for a fossil) so I guess it is for grannies, but fun for others too.

Shlup
03-20-2008, 05:25 AM
I wonder if the whole Wii Fit thing will help sell more to older generations as well?

I was going to look into that when I get the game for myself. From the previews it seems to harsh for my grandparents, but I hope they can at least do the balancing or something.

My in-laws are going to get Fit. They got a Wii before I even did.

Out of curiosity, do the elderly folks who play the game ever accidently send the Wii-mote flying through the TV? Or are they not quite that active yet?

I could see my grandpa breaking something (other than himself). They keep the strap on though, and have the updated strap and the remote jackets.

KentaRawr!
03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
My mother likes it. :p

Caraliz
03-20-2008, 11:48 PM
mmm'hm~

Monol
03-21-2008, 12:08 AM
I like it many lots *cracks back forever*

Now im gonna go bowl me a hot ticket for tonights big brawl match.

Whos with me yah? ;)

*disregard the confusion and just read the first sentence*

:choc2:

Vivisteiner
03-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Its good so long as it doesnt undermine proper gaming.