PDA

View Full Version : Crisis Core

Rostum
03-20-2008, 04:04 AM
Well, Play-Asia just emailed me saying they shipped the english version of Crisis Core off this morning. I probably won't get it until after the Easter holidays -- but I'm psyched!

Who else pre-ordered?

Megalixir
03-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Crisis Core should get its own subforum now.

Personally, I want to play it,
but I cant justify buying a PSP.
Im going to either wait for a PS2 port, or a commercial PSP emulator for the PC to come out.

Rostum
03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
You'll be waiting a long time. :D

I probably wouldn't have got it if I didn't get a PSP as a present (which has turned out well since I have been able to get some decent titles for it).

Megalixir
03-20-2008, 09:46 AM

or i can borrow a hacked psp from a friend for a prolonged period of time and download an english rom on tuesday.

Rostum
03-20-2008, 12:38 PM

or i can borrow a hacked psp from a friend for a prolonged period of time and download an english rom on tuesday.

Much easier. I had thought about downloading it, but I think I might just wait until it arrives. Just one of those things I wanted the box for.

The Crystal
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Crisis Core should get its own subforum now.

Aerith's Knight
03-20-2008, 08:29 PM
I pre-ordered it.. Im going to the store on the 22nd.. i cant wait!!!

I bought my psp slim a week ago.. just sitting there.. waiting for this game!

thegirth
03-21-2008, 06:13 AM
i bought a psp in the summer in anticipation for this game, gonna go get it on Tuesday when it comes out

Relapse
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM
i've already done halfway of the jap version (downloaded it). however, i gave up halfway since the english version was coming soon and saw no point continuing a japanese game.

Rostum
03-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I pre-ordered it.. Im going to the store on the 22nd.. i cant wait!!!

I bought my psp slim a week ago.. just sitting there.. waiting for this game!

Cool, you should also try out the new God of War game. It's an excellent title for the PSP.

I'd probably get it sooner, but easter holidays means no postage. =(

Jessica_wohoo
03-22-2008, 05:26 AM
I downloaded a PSP emulator and the game with english subtitles for my computer. I love the game, it's awesome :)

Megalixir
03-22-2008, 06:15 AM
I downloaded a PSP emulator and the game with english subtitles for my computer. I love the game, it's awesome :)

WHERE.

Rostum
03-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Except there's no PSP emulator for the computer that can support commercial games, let alone one that utilises the PSP's technology the most.

She probably means she had custom firmware on her PSP and downloaded it.

Jessica_wohoo
03-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Except there's no PSP emulator for the computer that can support commercial games, let alone one that utilises the PSP's technology the most.

No, I don't. There is a PSP emulator for the computer that supports commercial games, but it's not very easy to get one. Luckily I have friends working with these kind of things :)

leader of mortals
03-22-2008, 02:35 PM

No, I don't. There is a PSP emulator for the computer that supports commercial games, but it's not very easy to get one. Luckily I have friends working with these kind of things :)

HAXORZ!!!

Megalixir
03-22-2008, 05:18 PM

banned for lying.

Jessica_wohoo
03-22-2008, 09:40 PM

banned for lying.

No, I'm not lying. Believe what you want.

Rostum
03-23-2008, 12:58 AM

banned for lying.

No, I'm not lying. Believe what you want.

Actually I just asked a friend who is helping work on a PSP emulator, and he said there are none that support commercial games (and if they do, they will be very low frames per second and/or glitchy).

So unless you can provide any proof, I'll just label you as a liar. :p

Jessica_wohoo
03-23-2008, 03:17 AM
It's indeed quite low frames per second, but still playable. I will provide you a couple of screenshots as proof tomorrow. It's 3 AM here in Sweden now so I'm off to bed, gn!

Aerith's Knight
03-23-2008, 03:32 AM
whats up with all these newbies here? :eyebrow:

if you were a real FFVII fan you wouldve bought a psp for this.. as i did :p

Dreddz
03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Stop lying Jessica-woohoo, just stop.

I pre-ordered my copy but doubt it will come till a few days after the US release. But that doesnt matter, the game was leaked a week ago so I managed to get it working on my PSP.

Ive put in 3 hours into the game already and am not really sure what to say. I havent got my head around the battle system yet. Ive managed to survive just by hammering X. I know theres more to it but I havent delved into that yet. The game is crammed full of FMV's, probably more than any of the Final Fantasy games. There are lots of references to FFVII (they even reference Loveless) but they could of put more effort into recreating some areas from the original game. Wutai just seemed to be a fort, no town to explore.

Other than that the game is brill. Top stuff.

Megalixir
03-24-2008, 12:37 AM
It's indeed quite low frames per second, but still playable. I will provide you a couple of screenshots as proof tomorrow. It's 3 AM here in Sweden now so I'm off to bed, gn!

ill provide you with a screenshot right now.

watch

the only photo manipulation software i have is MS Paint

check this out

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3596/crisiscoreop9.jpg

took me 2 minutes
to open up an acutal psp emulator, screen shot
then go to youtube, and take a screen from one of the thousands of Crisis Core gameplay videos they have.

Rostum
03-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Tsk tsk, such a messy desktop. :D But you are right, it would be easy enough to manipulate an image like that.

Megalixir
03-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Tsk tsk, such a messy desktop. :D But you are right, it would be easy enough to manipulate an image like that.

but my wallpaper is awesome.

Roogle
03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
The release date for Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII in North America is March 25, 2008.

I think that it is entirely possible that alternative retailers like Play-Asia have received copies of the finished product and sent them out. It only takes one copy of the game to make an image file to distribute out on closed networks, too, but I can see why there is an air of disbelief surrounding Jessica_wohoo.

Megalixir
03-25-2008, 06:01 AM
The release date for Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII in North America is March 25, 2008.

I think that it is entirely possible that alternative retailers like Play-Asia have received copies of the finished product and sent them out. It only takes one copy of the game to make an image file to distribute out on closed networks, too, but I can see why there is an air of disbelief surrounding Jessica_wohoo.

the disbelief is from the fact that she says she has a working commercial emulator.

Rostum
03-25-2008, 06:15 AM

No one is claiming it's impossible to download the game before it's official release (hell, I managed to over the weekend). It's the fact that Jessica claims there is a working emulator for PSP on PC systems (for commercial games), which is not true. ;)

Croyles
03-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Im playing this game at the moment and already got pretty far. I think its pretty good, although I am waiting for the story to pick up the pace, even though im already around half way through the game i reckon.
Even though SE are really milking FFVII I think its good that they are always trying out new game mechanics, this can only be good for future main FF titles. They may not always work (Dirge of Cerberus etc), but I quite like the fighting in Crisis Core.

Who else has played it so far?

Roogle
03-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Oh, I was not aware that the Playstation Portable has not been successfully emulated on the PC. Thank you for the clarification.

Jessica_wohoo, please do not post ambiguous information.

Dreddz
03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Im on Chapter 10 at the moment. Ive just passed the whole Nibleheim scenario (where Sephiroth goes coo coo). They altered the events from Final Fantasy VII a tad but not to the point where Im in outrage or anything. Sephiroth was a piece of cake. Actually, this whole game has been a piece of cake. The only part I got stuck on was Angeal.

One thing that has pissed me off throughout the entire game is the inability to skip cutscenes. Square really slipped up on this one. Oh, and they included a gunblade which I saw no point in really.

Rostum
03-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah there's a thread for this in the proper forums (i.e. FF7 forums).

Not sure if I should start it, or wait until I receive it on UMD...

Croyles
03-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh woops. should have thought about the ff7 forums, sorry!

Croyles
03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
(I made a thread about this in General Gaming, but realised this is more appropriae)

Im playing this game at the moment and already got pretty far. I think its pretty good, although I am waiting for the story to pick up the pace, even though im already around half way through the game i reckon.
Even though SE are really milking FFVII I think its good that they are always trying out new game mechanics, this can only be good for future main FF titles. They may not always work (Dirge of Cerberus etc), but I quite like the fighting in Crisis Core.

What do others think of it?

Dragonsoul
03-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm highly interested in this game! Since I'm lowering the amount of games I play, FF VII: CC and Lost Odyssey are the best current games that I am not buying. I'm very interested in them but I'll have to consider my other hobbies and school/work that I have to attend to. Here's some information...

Games bought/played from Fall 07/Spring 08 and ones I will buy/play:
Eternal Sonata
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Games from Fall 07/Spring 2008 I haven't rented yet but want to rent and possibly buy:
Mass Effect
Mass Effect: Bring Down The Sky
Lost Odyssey
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess
Jeanne D'Arc
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Front Mission(beaten it on Snes, 9/10 score)

...I wish that I kept up with Final Fantasy XI for the past few years, it may be too late for me to go back to FF XI and work through it and it's first three expansion packs and then buy the newest expansion pack. Anyways, a mmorpg takes hundreds of hours to get to a high level, not sure if this is my style, too much work although the game is great, just like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Rostum
03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Wow, no one cares about your life story.

Yeah I got this game in the mail today. I'm up to the bit where you're back at Shinra HQ's after Angeals home town gets destroyed -- just been doing a few missions here and there.

So far it's pretty cool, but I was hoping there was more to the battle system. Maybe it'll get more interesting once that Materia Fusion menu item becomes available. ;)
Do no double post and do not be rude. ~ Leeza

Croyles
03-26-2008, 02:41 PM
I wope up today, brushed my teeth and then had lunch since it was already 12:30. Then after lunch I went back to my room and checked who was on msn. I talked on msn for a while. Then I went to play some pool in a bar and then I came back and went online again. I stayed online. I then stayed online some more and then surprisingly I stayed online some more.

Here is a list of all the people i know, all the games ive played and all the days in which ive had to go to the bathroom:
xx
xx
xx
xx
xx
xx
xx
xx
xx
xx
Just playing with ya :)
Anyway, I reckon this thread can be closed as there is already another Crisis Core thread.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I had it since yesterday afternoon, so this topic is fail now

FAIL!!

phbr
03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Actually, this whole game has been a piece of cake.
I agree, although I haven't tried Hard Mode yet, so I can't say if it is more challenging.
Although I think some of the missions were quite difficult when you didn't know what kind of attacks the enemies had.

One thing that has pissed me off throughout the entire game is the inability to skip cutscenes. Square really slipped up on this one.
qft

Another thing which really annoyed me was the camera at times, I mean, why am I only sometimes allowed to turn it 360°. It's especially annoying in missions when you try to find all the treasure chests or when you have to infiltrate the Mako excavation site

The random encounters, if you can even call them that are just silly, imo. You pretty much know when you will engage in a battle so why don't they just make the enemies visible from the beginning ? The only good thing about the CC random encounter system is that it's extremely easy to avoid them if you don't want to fight.

I didn't really like the story apart from the relationship between Aerith and Zack, the Nibelheim incident and the ending where you fight the hordes of Shinra type enemies (is that even a spoiler ? I mean, pretty much everyone knows that, but oh well (which was awesome, imo)

Dreddz
03-26-2008, 07:40 PM
I didn't really like the story apart from the relationship between Aerith and Zack

I generally found the whole relationship between Aeris and Zack corny. I also hated spending 20 minutes trying to get materials to build Aeris a flower wagon, what the hell was the point? Although it was cool wandering around Midgar, even if it was laid out differently.

Im currently on the last dungeon. I personally thought that Sephiroth should of been the last battle instead of Genesis, which I can already tell it'll be. One thing I think worth noting is When one of the genesis clones pulls out some of Zacks hair and eats it. Definitely the best part of the game so far.

Croyles
03-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Well I finished the game. Best parts were the Nibelheim incident and the ending (exluding the crappy end-boss, what a bore! And way too easy.)
The battle system was pretty boring in the end, I kind of liked it in the beginning because I saw potential, which sadly never flowered. I used about 4% of my materia and had like countless elixers and x-potions for the final boss... I thought the cutscenes were mostly amazing. Some dialogue was really good while some was kind of weird and awkward.

I still really liked this game, but only because it was packed with nostalgia, good graphics/cutscenes and a reasonable story, although I didnt give a rats arse about Genesis, Lazaard etc. Angeal was ok I guess. The gameplay itself was pretty boring and monotonous imo.
I agree with Dreddz that the last battles should have been at Nibelheim, that was epic, and nothing after that came close to it. Everything after that could have been included in the ending (minus Genesis obviously). I think gameplay should have ended with Zack escaping with Cloud.

Meh, well im glad this compilation is over, it was one of SE's worst good-ideas executed badly.

Also, right after the credits when you see the intro of FF7 (remade for the second time!), do you think this is just to make people play FF7 or are they hinting at a remake? Or none, in which case it was just to tie the games in accordingly. Im probably risking opening a can of worms here...

I knew i should have played it on hard mode...

Dolentrean
03-28-2008, 02:37 AM
I cant wait to get this! SEND ME MONEY, or not... I will suffer.

The Crystal
03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Meh, well im glad this compilation is over, it was one of SE's worst good-ideas executed badly.

Someone didn't watch the secret ending of Dirge of Cerberus.

Croyles
03-29-2008, 01:42 PM
I have seen the ending, it features Genesis, so what?

Rostum
03-29-2008, 11:58 PM

I think it may hint to another game. Seeing as Genesis does survive and says some ambiguous stuff to lead into another game.

Which is kind of weird and just so random.

EagleDelta1
03-30-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't know if there will be another game - take a look at this - "However, in the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania as Nomura explained, it now seems more likely that he's appearing to protect the Planet, not take revenge on it, as some players may have originally thought. At the same time, his final lines in Crisis Core explain his return, but in more of a riddle." - Genesis Rhapsodos - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Genesis)

DoC is probably the end of the series, with CC being the final release unless they do a remake of FFVII

EDIT: I read more into it and now believe I might be wrong - in the section about Genesis(see the above link) more quotes from the FFVII Ultimania are givin and says that after Genesis is picked up by Weiss and Nero in CC he decides to seal himself in the cave below Midgar instead of joining Deepground and that the seal would only break when the world was in crisis again - so who knows what's gonna happen.

Heath
03-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I had a quick play on Crisis Core on my friend's PSP the other day. It was only a quick go of the first level/s or so so which I think are tutorials anyway. Either way, apart from him constantly getting game over on hard (and the FFVII opening music being played a lot as he returned to the main menu) the best part was when you complete a level. Crisis resolved. The first time he said that out loud, I thought my friend was playing U.N.: The Video Game.

I'd have to give the game a proper play to decide whether I liked it or not, but it seems alright from what I've tried.

Dreddz
03-30-2008, 05:07 PM

I think it may hint to another game. Seeing as Genesis does survive and says some ambiguous stuff to lead into another game.

Genesis's story will definately continue in another game Him being taken away by Shinra and leaving it unexplained wouldnt be acceptable What im more curious about though is The two SOLDIER men that took Genesis away, Square obviously didnt want their identities to be reveiled. One of them had white hair which leads me to my theory that it was one of those white haired men that appear in Advent Children (havent seen the movie for some time now, dont remember names).. I have no evidence to back this up but seeing as the Compilation of FFVII hasnt finished I wouldnt be shocked if I am proven right in the future.

And now someone can debunk my theory.

EagleDelta1
03-30-2008, 10:45 PM

Genesis's story will definately continue in another game Him being taken away by Shinra and leaving it unexplained wouldnt be acceptable What im more curious about though is The two SOLDIER men that took Genesis away, Square obviously didnt want their identities to be reveiled. One of them had white hair which leads me to my theory that it was one of those white haired men that appear in Advent Children (havent seen the movie for some time now, dont remember names).. I have no evidence to back this up but seeing as the Compilation of FFVII hasnt finished I wouldnt be shocked if I am proven right in the future.

And now someone can debunk my theory.

those two men that took Genesis away were Weiss and Nero(they are listed w/ Voice Actors in the Credits at the end of the game) from Dirge of Cerberus(Weiss has white hair) & where Genesis was took is explained in the FFVII Ultimania, but sadly that wasn't released in the U.S.

Dreddz
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
those two men that took Genesis away were Weiss and Nero(they are listed w/ Voice Actors in the Credits at the end of the game) from Dirge of Cerberus(Weiss has white hair) & where Genesis was took is explained in the FFVII Ultimania, but sadly that wasn't released in the U.S.

Cheers for clearing that up, I have never played DoC.

Rostum
03-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Alright, I just finished it. I must say... absolutely brilliant. I would have thought the game would end at the events in Nibelheim, but it had so much more substance than that.

Zack's death was probably one of the most emotional things I have ever experienced in a video game. No doubt about that. At the end, I found myself trying to fight off the Shinra troops, not because it was part of the game but because I didn't want him to die. I thought it was absolutely brilliant how the Turks were trying to find him so that he'd survive and get to see Aerith -- really shows how awesome Tseng is...

I think Square out-did themselves with this. If only Dirge of Cerberus had as much substance and emotion as this game did.

My theory is that we might possibly get a true-RPG-sequel to FFVII with the return of Genesis and perhaps a bit more explanation of what Angeal went through during Crisis Core. Just a theory though. I'd probably much rather have FFVII remade to flow fluently with Crisis Core and include Cissnei and more mentions about Zack.

Dreddz, if you don't plan on playing Dirge of Cerberus (which I'd suggest just for the story, you'll hate the game play though) you should check out some YouTube videos of the secret ending but you might miss out on the extra stuff you learn about Hojo and Vincent.

By the way, when they mention Cloud is the only one left with pure S cells, are they just referring to him being a successful Sephiroth clone, or do you think there's more to it?

mose-schrute
04-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Zack's death was probably one of the most emotional things I have ever experienced in a video game. No doubt about that.

I felt the same way. Even though I knew it was going to happen, it didn't make it any less emotional.

Woodinator
04-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Wow I just finished the game today and I have to say it's one of few games where after I beat it I sit back and think "Wow, what an amzing game." Most of the better final fantasies didn't even give me that feeling, though I'm not sure why.

I thought combat was excellent and although the DMW could be annoying at times (popping up only to fail when you just want to attack the thing or cure) it added a nice touch...my only grief is it repeating "Starting Combat Mode" and "Conflict Resolved" after every battle

and yeah the ending... wow... All the stuff they filled in with Genesis was a nice touch and yeah my eyes welled up at the end, even though I knew he was going to die, and I had to fight it in order to avoid embarrassing myself in front of my roommate :P And I definetly thought those two were Yazoo and Loz at the end...because they kind of sounded like them and said the whole "brother" deal, though in the credits it shows weiss and nero which I suppose makes more sense

So yeah definetly worth the play, I'd almost say it's worth buying the PSP, but not quite worth that price

Rostum
04-01-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm guessing this is fairly reliable:

The Final Fantasy VII Citadel (http://www.ff7citadel.com/updates/00000297.shtml)

Looks like they are wanting to go out with a bang.

Dreddz
04-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Zack's death was probably one of the most emotional things I have ever experienced in a video game. No doubt about that.

I felt the same way. Even though I knew it was going to happen, it didn't make it any less emotional.

The ending was great until Cloud had to give that girlish shreak which was then followed by some J-pop garbage. At that point I wanted to burn my PSP.

Fortunately I didnt and have been going through the Missions. Some of them are really difficult. I know I complained about the game being too easy but the Missions definately made up for that. Theres also a TON of them, maybe more than I care to complete.

Oh, and who was bothered to beat the 1000 soldiers Mission. Took me 20 minutes of spamming the X button to finish it. Holy heck did that give me a cramp.

mose-schrute
04-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh, I totally agree with you on that. I wanted to finish all of the missions but eventually I just got fed up and quit and decided I didn't need the best armor in the game unless I wanted to beat the "secretbossthatisinfactharderthanthelastbossofthegamethatwehaveallseenbeforesohowisthisaspoilerohwell".

Rostum
04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
The ending was great until Cloud had to give that girlish shreak which was then followed by some J-pop garbage. At that point I wanted to burn my PSP.

Personally, I disagree. I think Cloud's scream was extremely effective in portraying his emotions at the time, and the song played definitely suited Zack as a whole. But that's just me.

Dreddz
04-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Oh, I totally agree with you on that. I wanted to finish all of the missions but eventually I just got fed up and quit and decided I didn't need the best armor in the game unless I wanted to beat the "secretbossthatisinfactharderthanthelastbossofthegamethatwehaveallseenbeforesohowisthisaspoilerohwell".
I just enjoy them because they are more of a challenge than the rest of the game. I also greatly underestimated the length it would take to beat them all. Im only 50% done and ive already logged 18 hours into the game. Thats alot considering how little time I spend with games these days.

I think Cloud's scream was extremely effective in portraying his emotions at the time, and the song played definitely suited Zack as a whole. But that's just me.

Cheesy, corny whatever you want to call it was horrible to hear. And I guess its just my dislike of j-pop that I have to disagree with you on that song played.

Rostum
04-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Cheesy, corny whatever you want to call it was horrible to hear. And I guess its just my dislike of j-pop that I have to disagree with you on that song played.

Yeah but every Final Fantasy is cheesy/corny, you just take it for what it is. I'm not a fan of j-pop either, but taking into account that it's a japanese game and that it's not as bad as a lot of j-pop I've heard... I thought it suited it fine.

Mercen-X
04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
It's funny how Gamers and Otaku differ on J-Pop. Gamers dislike it. Anime fans think it's so much F-ing better than any other kind of music made by any other country... especially American music whose lyrics "are so predictable."

Gennosuke
04-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I love it, got it on wednesday, pre-ordered it from movietyme.com, and have pre-ordered a special edition version with an artbook, off amazon.

Rostum
04-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Oh damnit, I knew I should have waited for something like that... Ugh!

Dragonsoul
04-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I may buy or rent this game. How many hours long is it without the side missions? I'm busy with FF Tactics(PSP) and Warcraft 3 right now though.

The game had high critical and user reviews and high sales(277,00 copies or so sold in the first week!)

Rostum
04-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Took me about 20 hours, but I did around 30% of the missions and took my time (though I didn't bother levelling up or getting decent gear, was able to beat it with basic gear and level 33).

Dragonsoul
04-12-2008, 04:13 AM
You are ruling my life right now! Anyways, I may beat Final Fantasy Tactics(PSP) tonight, it'll free up some time for me to finish Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Anyways, I can't wait until my paycheck 14 days from now on April 28th. I get to finally buy Alundra 1 but I'm tempted to just buy FF VII: Crisis Core.

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2008, 06:00 AM
Finished the game a few days ago... A decent game but overall I was rather disappointed by it.

The gameplay feels like a dumbed down version of the KH1 system (including the obnoxious camera :mad:) with brain dead AI and broken abilities and materia. "Challenge" is judged by RPG terms, not by action game terms. The enemy doesn't get smarter they just do more damage... Still, it gets the job done and at least its not completely boring.

The missions are fun but lack variety (kill things, find area boss, end mission. Wash, rinse and repeat) but the main story offers many different gameplay elements The DMV is what I feel really saves the gameplay as it adds a little bit of depth to an otherwise shallow fighting system. I'm also irked by the fact that it doesn't take much to beat the game. At lv. 35 you can finish the final boss who is an utter joke...

Graphics are amazingly pretty though I feel CC is too clean in design while the original was more gritty and dark. I'm saddened by CC dropping the orignals "steam punk/ Blade Runner style cyber punk" style for a modern sometimes bordering on FFVIII levle design. The voice work is top notch. Music is good but I found the only really strong tracks to be the remixes from VII (I want the credit music which is a medely of all the VII remixes :love:), there are a few good original tracks but not many. I also agree with Dreddz that the jpop at the end was pretty bad...

The story... is like the music. At times its really powerful and amazing... at other times its boring and generic. Oddly enough, the good parts are the parts where Zack deals with other returning characters and elements from the original game. The scenes involving Tseng, Aerith, Cloud, and Sephiroth are quite well done and creates a wonderful sense of "what is to come". The original characters for CC on the other hand are pretty terrible with the exception of Angeal and a few of the minor characters. Lazard, Hollander, and Genesis are quite generic and feel like bad copies of other characters (Hojo and Sephiroth come to mind...) Hell the game never even really explains certain elements about some of the characters (Luckily the Ultimania for CC does but I would have preferred it in game like it was should have been...).

Genesis is basically a carbon copy of Sephiroth (right down to his motive and origins) except instead of doing anything about it, he just whines around about how Sephiroth is better than him and makes pointless quotes from LOVELESS. He is by far the most irritating villain in the series in my opinion. I'm lumping him right next to Shuyin of FFX-2. He shall forever be called "Emo-Sephiroth" by me ;)

Angeal is a pretty good character, its a shame he is so heavily tied into "Emo-Sephiroth" and the main and utterly pointless story. His relationship with Zack was well done but once again there are a few story issues (once again the Ultimania clears it up and once again I felt it should have been explained better in the actual game. :rolleyes2). He's one of the few "new elements" besides Cissinei(sp?) that was actually well implemented.

There are some minor plot changes to the main game but the only one that really bothered me was Genesis being at Nibelheim. It served no purpose and was the moment that made me really start to dislike the game. There are also a few pacing issues as the main story feels like its either quickly rushing you to the next major plot point or slowing you down needlessly with pointless fetch quests. I love how the game starts you in the middle of the Wutai war and then next thing you know, its over with no in-game resolution.Your just told non-chalanting that its done with.

At best CC is a mediocre game in a pretty package. At worst, its a terrible perversion of a good story. Overall, I prefer Last Order to Crisis Core. CC just reminds me once again why I don't recognize the Compilation's existence. :mog:

The Crystal
04-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Overall, I prefer Last Order to Crisis Core. CC just reminds me once again why I don't recognize the Compilation's existence. :mog:

And that's the part I don't understand. You accuse CC of fuc*ing with the story, but that's exactly what LO did.

I prerefer 1000 times more, Genesis appearing in Nibelheim(and not changing much of the original story), than Tifa waking up and talking with Cloud at the Reactor(creating a big plot-hole).

Please, explain to me why you think LO is so much better than CC.

Wolf Kanno
04-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Overall, I prefer Last Order to Crisis Core. CC just reminds me once again why I don't recognize the Compilation's existence. :mog:

And that's the part I don't understand. You accuse CC of fuc*ing with the story, but that's exactly what LO did.

I prerefer 1000 times more, Genesis appearing in Nibelheim(and not changing much of the original story), than Tifa waking up and talking with Cloud at the Reactor(creating a big plot-hole).

Please, explain to me why you think LO is so much better than CC.

I'll correct any confusion when I say that I don't like ANY of the Compilation as ALL of them smurf with the original games continuity. Genesis is a piss poor villain and him egging Sephiroth on at Nibelheim about his origins destroys the impact of Sephiroth discovering the truth of his origins IMO. Of anything, I'm surprised Sephiroth didn't begin to question his origins during the earlier parts of the Genesis rebellion. His only purpose being there is to tie him into the main games story which throws the main games story into mass confusion as he plays no part in the original.

Genesis being there creates a massive plot-hole as well since Cloud never mentions the attack by Genesis clones at the reactor and he has no recollection of Genesis being at the reactor itself. This is a huge plothole in my opinion thats much more difficult to fix than Tifa and Cloud having a conversation.

I don't see the point in Genesis. As a character or a villain, he's just a whiny Sephiroth rip-off whose only purpose is to guarantee we will be seeing crappy sequels from this game for years to come. I mean his own ending in the game doesn't make a damn lick of sense and is nothing but pretentious bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: like everything else concerning him. :mad:

I prefer LO cause it deals with the most important part of Zack's story. It expands his character greatly, and it fixes one of the few plot devices that never made sense to me from the original (the only thing I felt worth retconning in VII) and that was how Sephiroth fell into the Lifestream. Yes it screws with coninuity which irks me like no other but to me its minor compared to what the rest of the Compilation has done to the original games story.

Bloodline666
04-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Genesis is officially the most ill-conceived villain in the entire FF series, if not the entire history of video games; he's nothing more than a poor-man's Sephiroth who continually spouts out repetitive Loveless bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:.

And is it just me, or does the expression on Aerith's face in the ending retcon, at least to a certain extent, the very notion that she was completely oblivious to Zack's fate in FF7? The look on her face right before we see Zack's bloodied face tells she at least knows that Zack is dead.

thegirth
04-13-2008, 05:37 PM
this game is amazing, 99/100, materia fusion is umm *slightly* broken. i ended up with a regen materia that gave me 350% HP and some yellow or another that gave me plus 43 attack

finaloblivion
04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
finished the game late last week on normal, playing through a new game+ on hard. i was a little disappointed with how easy the main game was, but playing it through on hard, even on a new game+ with my lv. 59 zack and countless mastered and ultimate materia, is a task. the missions are exponentially harder (even the "easy" missions have rediculous enemies).

Overall, i have to say i would give this game 90/100. The story and dialogue is a bit cloudy at times, but is clear and concise when dealing with returning characters and the overall theme of FFVII. I could've done without the ending involving Genesis, Lazard, Cloud and Zack and the banora apples, along with the entire Genesis stoyline. The game should've ended with Zack and Cloud's harrowed and epic escape from Nibelheim, and the cool little reunion with Cissnei at Gongaga. NO GENESIS! I think he sucks as a character and as a villain. The conflict revolving him is the weakest link of the plot. But, the emotional ending on the cliffside is what makes this whole game worth it. I've never gotten the goosebumps so frequently from a video game. It was the most well done and intense scene of the game, and it gets you on to the continuation into FFVII, which is the whole point of this game anyways. Another reason I think the Genesis storyline is...sloppy, weak, and USELESS!

As for gameplay, the battles seem simple enough in the beginning of the game, but as your levels increase and the missions get harder, it becomes more strategy and learning to scroll through your battle menu and selecting your actions quickly and effectively. Early on, it's admittedly possible to complete most battles by just hammering the X button, but later in the game i found this not to be the case. Getting used to scrolling through your battle menu and using multiple strategies and attacks on the enemy makes the battles much more worth it. As for the DMW, it can get old sometimes but overall I think it adds an original element to the battle sequences. Also, in the final battle scene when the DMW is malfuntioning and shutting down...it for some reason makes the ending all the more emotional.

This is a good game. It has its criticisms, even from me, but if you're a true fan of FFVII and support the compilation, CC is indeed a fantastic and thrilling buy. And if you buy it for anything, the final scenes are some of the most gripping I've experienced in a game, and they're much more well done than LO did them. Kudos to the team. I am a fan of the compilation, and apparently there's one more title left to be announced to be the finale of the project. I can't wait.

Aerith's Knight
04-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I know right, the last battle with the broken DMV was so freaking good..

I loved the ending, but i didnt know genesis, and they couldve left that storyline out.. and put in the trip with tifa to the reactor or something.