PDA

View Full Version : so whats all the fuss about?

Marky Tee
03-21-2008, 11:31 AM
why is it everyone seems to love this game just so much as they do?

now dont get me wrong as i think its an excellent game
jus not the best in the series as most seem to think
its not the worst in the series either though

so what is it you all love so much?

Grinn
03-21-2008, 01:33 PM
It had a great story, a great cast of characters who had deep back stories, it looked way better than any Final Fantasy before it, it has tons of memorable scenes; some warm and funny, others sad and others shocking. The World of Balance/Ruin concept was really cool, as it gave you a whole new feel and look to the game, and it was and it still is just a whole lot of fun to play. Final Fantasy VI did so many things right.

Raebus
03-21-2008, 02:20 PM
You could ask the same question about every game thats deemed as a classic or excellent.

Pointless thread. GO

Avarice-ness
03-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with Rae.

I'm tired of people coming in the FFVI forum wanting people to defend the game.

This game is the number #8 top game of all time, the best Final Fantasy according to the all time game thing (It's the best ranked final fantasy). This game has equal if not slightly less fans of FF7.
This game came out during the peakish age of most of our child hood gaming times, meaning we were exposed to it earlier and became a fan at the age of nine (I know I'm not the only one) where as now, alot of FF fans are exposed to games later.

Due to that, the amount of fans will make it very difficult for you to know "what all the fuss is about" because we all like different aspects of the game. While 100,000 fans might like characters, people like me might like the fact the game is set up like a European opera. Still, since every person has an opinion, there most likely will not be an overall consensus.

Either way, if you don't see the reason why this game has the second largest fanbase in the final fantasy series, then it doesn't matter what we think because you're not going to like it regardless.

blackmage_nuke
03-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Because it was epic before epic was epic

jus not the best in the series as most seem to think

Why not tell us what you think was the best in the series and why, then we could explain why FFVI is so much better
Otherwise we'd just be stating random points about how awesome the game is and then you'd just be all like "LOLZ ur all just a bunch of lame fanboiz/girlz" or "Look @ de nerds! I aint gonna listen to dem!"

Marky Tee
03-22-2008, 10:34 AM
whoaa guys calm yourselfs
im not here to bash the game i do realy like it

Why not tell us what you think was the best in the series and why, then we could explain why FFVI is so much better

ff9 for the exact reasons grinn gave appart from lookin better than any before it cause 8's cgi's were awsome

maybe if i had played it on the snes when it first came out cause the ps1 versions loading times when you went to battles or into the menu realy sucked
thats what annoyed me about it

Sarc the Swordsman
03-22-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't class it as the best game out there, but it's certainly one of the better FF games. Why? The story, diverse and interesting cast of characters, the sidequests; the humour, the drama and the interesting concept of the world of balance/world of ruin.

Still, it's down to personal opinion as to what the best game is...so not everyone is going to love it.

Marky Tee
03-22-2008, 12:50 PM
ye it was good for the humour

Roto13
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, the PS1 version is kind of... an abomination. The load times kind of stop it from actually being fun. xP Nice extras, though.

Marky Tee
03-22-2008, 06:39 PM
yea the opening video and music for it were awsome
those damn loading times jus spoil the whole thing

03-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure that VI would be my favorite instead of, say, IX (also an excellent game) if VI hadn't been played when I was ~11 and IX when I was ~21 or so. It's not nostalgia, it's just that video games meant more and captured my attention more back then. I will never play a game that means as much to me now as VI did back then. Wait, that doesn't necessarily count as nostalgia, right? Moving on.

That said, I think VI is more than worthy of of the accolades I give it. The story is compelling-- watching South Figaro fall to the empire, watching General Leo have a.... mishap..... watching the Celes/Loki drama, watching what happened to Cyan's family, and then you've got what I think is, objectively speaking, the greatest video game madman of all time as the lead villain. Kefka, as they say in the parlance of our time, "owned." Ultros was pretty awesome too, but for different reasons. I also, no matter what some people say, loved the open-endedness of the WOR, being able to go anywhere I wanted in any order and finish the game whenever I chose. Damn it, that's how a great game should be. Anyone who doesn't like it can go play Mystic Quest, those rails were built for you. Hmmm, am I forgetting anything? Oh yeah, I love the opera scene. And, let's see.... oh yeah, it's fun. And that really ought to be the only criterion for what makes a game good or bad. More fun than the rest of the series? Well.... like I said, I can't be objective.

Roogle
03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I think that a lot of the praise from this game comes from its timely release. For a lot of people, this was one of the last games of its generation, and it will always hold a special place in their hearts because of that.

Bolivar
03-25-2008, 05:22 AM
It was way ahead of its time. Even though I played it years later, my jaw still dropped when a sprite came out on a stage, opened his mouth and began to sing.

It was because of events like this (and VI had alot of them) that anyone playing this in the mid '90s would have been seriously impacted by this game. Playing it based on lofty recommendations and previous knowledge of later RPGs can really ruin your experience with it.

Having played RPGs on later consoles beforehand, I felt the story and characters were much more lacking than they actually were; having played certain Genesis as opposed to SNES RPGs during the 16-bit era, the experience felt boring and unrewarding. The question on my mind was "Is this all there is?"

I actually prefer a few older FF's to VI, but it's still grown to be one of my favorite RPGs of all time. When I put Linux on my PS3, FFVI was the first rom I went for.

Goldenboko
03-25-2008, 05:36 PM
whoaa guys calm yourselfs
im not here to bash the game i do realy like it

ff9 for the exact reasons grinn gave appart from lookin better than any before it cause 8's cgi's were awsome

maybe if i had played it on the snes when it first came out cause the ps1 versions loading times when you went to battles or into the menu realy sucked
thats what annoyed me about it

I try not to call a game great because of CGI or Graphics, as nowadays, most games have good CGI and Graphics. The most important elements of a game to me, are, story, and gameplay. Both of which, this game had plenty of, FFIX just barely, tops it as my favorite though.

Roserashi
03-29-2008, 05:08 AM
I liked VI for many things. The first being the fact that THERE IS NO STUPID MAIN CHARACTER THAT YOU'RE STUCK FOREVER WITH!!!!! Seriously, the only charcaters you get stuck with that was respectable was Zidane, and maybe Squall. Cloud's nowhere as cool as the FFVI cast. Sephiroth... don't get me started... How killing ONE person, and destroying ONE village because he want to become god is cooler than someone who kills countless people, destroy more village than any charcater in an RPG, and completely reface the world, nearly destroying it just because the said villain felt like it?

Also, the story was awesome, and there are even parts where the story changed acording to your action, which, if I remember corectly, only have been repeated in FFVII (in the main series, at least) Like how you feed Cid at the begining of WoR, or the ending changing according to how many people you find in the WoR.

And it has my favourite character of the series: Sabin. well I should say the Figaro brothers. The figaro brother are in my opinion the coolest duo ever created in a video game, folowed by Fujin and Raijin in VIII. Although my favourite ''Solo'' character in the series is Galuf from V (Shame he died)

FFVII was good, I admit it. But is nowhere as good as VI is. In fact, I think that FFVII's story resemble FFVI's but in a cheap and weird way.

Heath
03-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I liked VI for many things. The first being the fact that THERE IS NO STUPID MAIN CHARACTER THAT YOU'RE STUCK FOREVER WITH!!!!!

Have to admit, that's one thing I've always liked about FFVI. Not only the cast of characters that is pretty great, but that you don't get stuck with one character you have to use all the game. It was nice to be able to customise your party like that and - in my view - gave the game some decent replay value.

Crossblades
03-29-2008, 11:15 PM
I've always considered FF VI to be my #1 favorite, because it had everything in a story: Comedy, Drama, Love, and Betrayal. Plus, it had a very nice ambience and lots of lovable characters

theundeadhero
03-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I like it a lot because it was fun. Fun was what nintendo games were all about. I have more fun playing this game than any other Final Fantasy.

animaonline
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Great story, a lot of interesting characters and wonderful music (L)