PDA

View Full Version : Leaked pictures to a new Sonic game?

KentaRawr!
03-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Take a look!

Article+Images (http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/437/)

Some screenshots have been uncovered from a SEGA FTP that appear to be the first images of new title 'Sonic Unleashed'.

Alsha ClanClan Prower of the EspioKaos Message Board discovered the following images whilst browsing one of SEGA's press asset portals. They indicate a CG introduction involving Super Sonic being defeated by Eggman, and various locales based on cities in Greece.

The gameplay looks to be similar in style to Sonic and the Secret Rings; this has brought speculation to the table that Sonic Unleashed could well be headed for the Nintendo Wii. The graphics look a bit too good for the motion-detecting system, however.

SEGA have been unable to confirm whether the screens are a hoax or not to date, but we will be checking with them very soon on the matter. In the meantime, enjoy.

Dreddz
03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
And to think, 10 years ago this would have made the internet explode.

KentaRawr!
03-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Isn't it a shame? Poor Sonic.

I hope this one ends up being good. :p

Dreddz
03-22-2008, 07:24 PM
When the first images of the last Sonic game surfaced I actually thought they looked good and hoped the game would be good. It wasnt. These pictures right off the bat look horrible, so I very much doubt that this game will be any better than the last.

KentaRawr!
03-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Do you remember that one part of Whinnie the Pooh where he and Rabbit and Piglet were lost in the woods? And how Pooh came up with the idea that instead of looking for Home, they should look to get lost, because they'd then find home?

I don't remember the rest of it, but I'm pretty sure they got home. Maybe since this one looks like crap, it'll be good, unlike with Sonic '06, which looked good, but ended up being crap.

My logic is undeniable.

Krelian
03-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I miss the days when you were able to buy a Sonic game without having to worry it might be crap. I also hope it's going to be a good Sonic again, if this is true. I don't think these pictures look horrible though. Where does it look like crap? O_o

KentaRawr!
03-22-2008, 09:10 PM
It doesn't to me, but I was speaking with Dreddz' idea that it looks like crap. That's the best way to use the Whinnie the Pooh analogy in this situation.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-22-2008, 09:19 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/sonicunleashed.png

Looks promising!

Raebus
03-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Sonic looks rather retarded.

DK
03-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I wish they would stop crapping on my childhood memories.

Momiji
03-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Indeed. I would like Sonic a lot more if they would have let the series die when it should have... like 10 years ago.

KentaRawr!
03-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I would have been happier with the series if the only sign of human life was Dr. Robotnik/Eggman.

Krelian
03-22-2008, 10:08 PM
The problem with Sonic games today is that there is no real main series anymore. There are just too many different games on too many different consoles. One could think Sonic The Hedgehog (the 360 and PS3 one) belongs to the main series, but that one was crap. The Wii version on the other hand is actually a good game if you're open to it. Even better are the DS games.

So I don't agree the series should have died 10 years ago, that would take us back to even before the time of Sonic Adventure, which was a great game when it came out and is still good nowadays.

I hope Sega knows they screwed up with their main Sonic games and maybe this one will be different. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Markus. D
03-23-2008, 05:03 AM

Indeed. I would like Sonic a lot more if they would have let the series die when it should have... like 10 years ago.

But then I would have never gotten the song "Rhythm and Balance (http://youtube.com/watch?v=q6dMsG_z_as)" ... which is like my favorite video game song ever D:... T_T... don't hurt me.

T______________________________T My life would be incomplete without the Sonic Adventure 2 OST. xD... *fail*

Roto13
03-23-2008, 05:15 AM
I don't want the series to have died 10 years ago. I want more of the awesomeness that Sonic used to be. (Also, Sonic Rush kicks ass)

EDIT: This actually looks pretty cool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI0kHe_tT8).

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-23-2008, 05:54 AM
It looks like it suffers from the same problem as the fully 3D games: instead of carefully designing levels to allow you to build your own momentum and then reap the rewards of high speeds and huge jumps, as in the old games, they just push you along a path with a series of automatic "speed pads." All the great feats of physics are set up in advance by the game itself, and the player's input consists of zero effort, zero involvement, and zero satisfaction.

I guess sliding off the path and into a bottomless pit will be less of a problem in this one than in the fully 3D games, but that still doesn't mean it'll be worth playing.

Skyblade
03-23-2008, 07:11 AM
I would agree that for the most part the Sonic games have lost touch with what made the originals so incredible, except that Sonic Rush had a lot of those lost aspects (although there seem to be a lot more bottomless pits in that game than any of the classic Sonics I remember). It's like the creators just don't care.

Roto13
03-23-2008, 07:13 AM
The new game reminds me of Sonic Rush. That's why I think it looks good. xP

Krelian
03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
It definitely has some Sonic Rush elements. I think it looks promising.

Roto13
03-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Officially confirmed now. (http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/03/23/sonic-unleashed-official-confirmation-details/) More details as well. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are the only playable characters, as it should be. They also talk about "extensive 2D gameplay." Still don't know what it's for, despite the fact that Xbox 360 Fanboy is talking about it. :P

But Wolf Sonic?

Krelian
03-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are the only ones that should be playable. I'm glad they didn't come up with some new character again (at least not yet..). I like that they seem to focus more on 2D gameplay again. The right way to go in my opinion. I can't say much about Wolf Sonic, except... huh? Well, we'll see.

A 360 release would be nice :P

EDIT: According to Sega On (http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/) it's not confirmed that it's 2D-heavy after all. Their goal to rebuild the Sonic brand is good news though. I'm still interested.

Madame Adequate
03-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Show us you've still got it, SEGA! I still believe in you, you raised me!

KentaRawr!
03-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't expect an experience like the older Sonic games at all. I'll just go in hoping the new experience is good. :p

Edit: Hey, cool, Wii and 360. (http://www.sonicstadium.org/sonicnews/440)

Krelian
03-24-2008, 11:29 AM
The platforms aren't confirmed yet, but it's likely it will be released for all three. A release is scheduled for November and we'll know more in May. I'm looking forward to May!

Source: SEGA ON - Das SEGA Magazin. Blog. Forum. SONIC UNLEASHED SCREENS VIDEO (http://www.sega-magazin.de/segaon/)

ljkkjlcm9
04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
well this is about a week old, but now they've officially announced it with a bit more info:

SEGA ANNOUNCES DEVELOPMENT OF SONIC UNLEASHED

Latest Installment to Extend Sonic's Signature Style. but with a Twist!

SAN FRANCISCO (April 3, 2008) - SEGA® of America and SEGA of Europe, Ltd. today announced that everyone's favorite hedgehog is once again breaking new ground in the upcoming title, Sonic Unleashed™. The latest installment in the multi-million selling franchise starring the beloved blue hedgehog will take players on an unforgettable high-speed journey around the globe in a way never before experienced in the world of Sonic. Fans will be treated to an array of new, exciting and unique next generation features to heighten their experience. Sonic Unleashed is currently under development for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, Wii™ home video game system from Nintendo and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system.

"It is an exciting time for the Sonic franchise as we look to reinvent our hero while staying true to the spirit of what made him an industry icon," said Sean Ratcliffe, Vice President of Marketing at SEGA of America. "Sonic Unleashed will introduce a new, unexpected storyline along with innovative gameplay that compliments traditional skills and features, allowing players to experiment and engage in new ways."

Having been broken apart by the evil Dr. Eggman, it's up to Sonic to put the pieces of the world back together again by retrieving the power of the chaos emeralds! In doing so, Sonic will find himself in a race against time and faced with an unusual situation that will challenge him in ways never before seen. Both day and night play different, yet important, roles in Sonic's newest quest. as the sun sets, a new adventure awakens. By completing a wide variety of action-packed stages, spanning the seven broken continents of the world, gamers will need to unleash Sonic's amazing abilities to save the world, and himself!

Players will have an opportunity to engage in ways never before done with the Sonic franchise, so in addition to running at high speeds, which will be highlighted in four new speed mechanics, combat fighting now becomes possible. New combat, movement, functional abilities and platforming will be introduced to offer increased depth and variety.

Sonic Unleashed will offer a re-defined experience for fans and newcomers of the franchise alike by combing picturesque & detailed scenery, an expansive world with multiple paths to choose from and dynamic viewpoints for an immersive and renewed gaming atmosphere. Along with seamless 3D to classic 2D camera transitions, the game is built on a powerful, new proprietary "Hedgehog Engine," which introduces impressive lighting abilities and new technology tailor made for Sonic's new speed capabilities. Under development for approximately three years, the Hedgehog Engine will help to produce a visually rich next generation look and feel with elements of classic Sonic gameplay components.

Currently in development by Sonic Team, Sonic Unleashed is scheduled for release worldwide for holiday 2008. For more information on the game, please visit www.sega.com/sonicunleashed .
Nintendo World Report - News Article: Sega Officially Announces Sonic Unleashed for Wii (http://nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=15690)

in summary, 2-d in 3-d. Cool new skills
for the 360, PS3, PS2, and Wii

THE JACKEL

Dreddz
04-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Show us you've still got it, SEGA! I still believe in you, you raised me!
Yeah but everyone that made Sega great back in the day have left. What we have left are people trying to rekindle everyones love for Sega. Its unfortunate that Sega just work well as a publisher and not as a developer anymore.

Roto13
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Sonic still works as a side-scroller. I'm daring to dream.

Momiji
04-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Sonic still works as a side-scroller. I'm daring to dream.

I may just be slightly interested, then.

Heath
04-05-2008, 12:52 AM

We'll always have Sonic 2, Dan. They can't take that away from us.

Either way, I'm not thrilled by the prospect of it looking at it so far. Early stages I know, but I've been particularly underwhelmed and disappointed with pretty much every Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles. Well, Adventure and Adventure 2 were fun for a while, but they do pale by comparison. I doubt I'll play this one.

KentaRawr!
04-11-2008, 09:37 PM
It looks like it suffers from the same problem as the fully 3D games: instead of carefully designing levels to allow you to build your own momentum and then reap the rewards of high speeds and huge jumps, as in the old games, they just push you along a path with a series of automatic "speed pads." All the great feats of physics are set up in advance by the game itself, and the player's input consists of zero effort, zero involvement, and zero satisfaction.

I guess sliding off the path and into a bottomless pit will be less of a problem in this one than in the fully 3D games, but that still doesn't mean it'll be worth playing.

To me, it seems like they're following a similar gameplay style to that of Sonic Rush, in that the goal of the game is to just get through as quickly as possible rather than the older Sonic game's more classic platforming feel. This is something I'm totally open to, especially considering I've found myself spending hours trying to perfect my time on Stage 2 of Sonic Rush. It would be nice if they include more slow moments, and treat the game as a platformer, but I still like the way the game's looking. Also, switching to Behind-Sonic gameplay so seamlessly is something I think will be nice for gameplay variation without changing all the rules of the game, like in the Sonic Adventure titles.

Anyway, take a look at this: Link (http://www.nwiizone.com/nintendo-wii/nwii/sonic-unleashed-wii-is-defined-as-truly-next-gen-for-the-nintendo-wii/)

Really, all the above link is saying is that the pictures released on the net are based off of the Wii version. Impressive for the Wii.

Roto13
04-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't like how they're turning it into Sonic Heroes by deciding to stick parts in the levels that grind to a hault so you can turn into Wolf Link a werewolf and beat things up.

At least, I think it happens in the middle of the level.

KentaRawr!
04-11-2008, 09:45 PM
They did that in Sonic Rush in Huge Crisis Zone. A huge door would just come out of nowhere, along with enemies. :p However, when that happened in Sonic Rush, it was more annoying than fun, because it would kill my time. :mad2:

But, that wouldn't make much sense if they had that happen mid-stage. It should just be between certain stages, whenever the moon is out.

Edit: IGN360 saw the game in action, apparently. They spoke highly. Look here. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/874/874202p1.html)