PDA

View Full Version : Good games

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm turning 22 soon, and my parents will likely be getting me some kind of video game - if I can figure out something I want. So I'm looking for some suggestions. I currently own a Wii, along with Smash Bros. Brawl, Fire Emblem, and with access to No More Heroes, Paper Mario, and Super Mario Galaxy. I have a PS2 with a fairly large library of games but none of the games from around when Valkyrie Profile 2 came out (although I have access to both it and Odin Sphere). And I have a PC, but its hardly top of the line (1.21 gigs of RAM, AMD Sempron Processor 2800+, not quite sure where I can check the video card information). DS games are covered by other people, so no need to suggest those.

I'm mainly a fan of RPGs and SRPGs, action games of a certain stripe are generally also welcome. So, what should I request?

Momiji
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
It's not an RPG, but I strongly recommend anything from the Trauma Center series. ^_^

Laddy
03-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura is a fantastic CRPG. Good luck finding it, but it's deep and hard. And I wouldn't be playing it if there wasn't a "No Gore" option, so give it a try; it's long, deep, open-ended, mature, and loads of geeky fun!

Breine
03-23-2008, 10:12 PM
It's not an RPG per se, but The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a brilliant game that you can get for the Wii.. and I bet it's fairly cheap these days.

KentaRawr!
03-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Well, there are a few good action games I could name that I've played, such as Metal Slug. But I don't think that's the kind of action game you're looking for. :(

The only RPG-ish game I have is Zelda Twilight Princess. I second that recommendation, by the way.

Edit: Oh, right, more exists than the Wii. Whoops! Well, most of my RPG's that I played on the PS2 were actually PS1 games. Legend of Mana was a really great RPG if you ask me, though it was for the Ps1, if you don't mind getting a Ps1 game. It would be a bit tough to find though, sad to say, so maybe that would be a mean request.

Well, if I can recommend Twilight Princess as an RPG-ish game, I guess I can recommend Okami, too.

Carl the Llama
03-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Speaking as an RPG aholic I would recomend the following:

PS2:
Atelier Iris 2: Azoth of destiny
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (my fave game of the moment)
Disgaea 2 is acceptable but no where near as good as the original
if you can play GC games on you Wii then:
Tales of Symphonia: its the best game on the GC imho
Serious Sam: some serious fun after a long day at work.

these are just a few of the games I can come up with atm I'll let ya know if I think of any more.

Citizen Bleys
03-24-2008, 01:35 AM
PS2: Suikoden IV, Suikoden V, Suikoden Tactics

Don't play Suikoden III, the controls are worse than hemorrhoids.

Araciel
03-24-2008, 01:38 AM

lol whut...hemorrhoids don't seem so bad then. I would warn against 4, since it sucks so hard.

CimminyCricket
03-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Soul Nomad.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-24-2008, 05:15 AM
Should have mentioned, as my avatar might indicate Nippon Ichi owns my soul and I already have all the games they have out for those various consoles such as Soul Nomad, Disgaea I and II, La Pucelle, etc.

I have Tales of Symphonia and Suikoden III, actually. Suikoden IV I had but it didn't catch my attention, but I might check out Suikoden Tactics.

Karellen
03-24-2008, 05:20 AM
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura is a fantastic CRPG. Good luck finding it, but it's deep and hard. And I wouldn't be playing it if there wasn't a "No Gore" option, so give it a try; it's long, deep, open-ended, mature, and loads of geeky fun!
Seconded.

Also be sure that your PS2 library has not overlooked Nocturne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei_III:_Nocturne).

Laddy
03-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Karellen, I'm touched.

I love hardcore old-school CRPG's. The Wiardry, Ultima, and Might and Magic games are examples of old-school PC goodness.

Oh, and Tales games (Like Abyss and Symphonia) are total glories.

Krelian
03-24-2008, 11:23 AM
But then he would miss the awesome story. Besides, I don't remember the game having bad controls. You should play it if you haven't yet.

Citizen Bleys
03-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I didn't even get out of my first time in Brass Castle before I gave up on the controls in disgust.

Suikoden IV, on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed. I played through once to get the 108 Stars, and then played through a second time just for the pleasure of killing Snowe.

Krelian
03-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I've played and enjoyed both, but I liked Suikoden III more than I liked Suikoden IV. The story alone is miles better in my opinion. Most people just don't like the battles. But anyhow, this isn't a Suikoden thread.
Ultimately it's Behold the Void's choice.

Another game that wasn't recommended yet is Rogue Galaxy.