PDA

View Full Version : Golf

Rostum
03-24-2008, 03:50 AM
Hey everyone, thought I'd ask a few questions and get some opinions and discussion going.

Golf, what are your thoughts?

Apparently I am a natural born golfer. Most males in my family have played or play golf, and I guess it just runs through my blood. For instance, I've been to the driving range about twice now, to get some tips from my father. Yesterday I went and played my first ever golf course (18-holes too), and did exceptionally well (managed to get par 4 on a hole, and a few others quite well) for someone who's never played golf.

This really intrigues me, and I love the skill involved, social aspects and low-impact exercise, so I'm thinking of buying a set of clubs. What's a good set to get? I saw a really nice set for around $600AUD (which is around my price range) but I'm not really sure what else is out there (also I am 5'7" so I'm not sure if I need to get them altered for my height or not).

What are your thoughts anyway?

Big D
03-24-2008, 05:04 AM
I love it. Haven't played for years, but it's still a great ol' game. My mother's masters team has won the national senior masters championship a fair few times, so golf is a fairly big thing in my family.

El Bandito
03-24-2008, 05:22 AM
The driving range is fun and I've always wanted to try out 18 holes, but I don't have the money or a country club membership to get into golf.

Rostum
03-24-2008, 05:24 AM
I love it. Haven't played for years, but it's still a great ol' game. My mother's masters team has won the national senior masters championship a fair few times, so golf is a fairly big thing in my family.

Awesome, if you're ever in Melbourne, give a holla and we'll go play a few holes. :D

Thinking about getting a set of Wilsons Deep Red clubs, around $550AUD.

The driving range is fun and I've always wanted to try out 18 holes, but I don't have the money or a country club membership to get into golf.

Surely there's a public course somewhere near you? Probably wouldn't be as well maintained, but decent enough to play a few holes on.

Big D
03-24-2008, 05:38 AM

Awesome, if you're ever in Melbourne, give a holla and we'll go play a few holes. :D You're on:D
Assuming I ever have the money and means to travel there...

Kirobaito
03-24-2008, 06:42 AM
I don't play near as often as I like to (really about once a year), but I will definitely play more when I get older. Like everyone else, I'm horrendous at it, but I just need practice. I have an old set of Hogans that work fine for me.

Raistlin
03-24-2008, 07:01 AM
A 5-year-old with one eye can kick my ass at golf. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=AAVX0Ov7JAM)

I golf once or twice a year with my dad. It's pretty fun.

Krelian
03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I've always wanted to try Golf, but I haven't had the chance yet. The only Golf experience I have is with Videogames, lol...

DK
03-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Used to play a little bit but haven't done so for years, would love to get back into it though. Perhaps I will use this thread as the inspiration to start again!

Breine
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
It's one of the most boring sports to watch on TV, plus I don't know how to play it. I've tried it a few times, but I just never got the hang of it.

I know many people who think it's a lovely sport for different reasons, but it's not something I'll ever get into.

scrumpleberry
03-24-2008, 07:41 PM
I've only ever played minigolf and whacked around a few balls on the driving range once or twice. I found minigolf fun and the driving range theraputic, if frustrating. Hee, I'm a bit rubbish.

Congrats if you've found a talent, Omecle, sincerely hope you enjoy a potential golfy future.

Rostum
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Used to play a little bit but haven't done so for years, would love to get back into it though. Perhaps I will use this thread as the inspiration to start again!

Yes you must!

It's one of the most boring sports to watch on TV.

I agree, lol. Talk about bore-a-thon... But, it may be nice to watch it once I know more about what they are actually doing.

Congrats if you've found a talent, Omecle, sincerely hope you enjoy a potential golfy future.

Thanks. :D

Jings
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
I actually think it's a very entertaining sport to watch on TV, but only the major tournaments like The Open and the US Open. The Ryder Cup is fun too.