PDA

View Full Version : Neglected Child?

Levian
03-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Now that I've been growing old and getting significantly closer to my inevitable death, I have been thinking about my childhood a bit, and I realized my parents never taught me how to ride a bike, swim or read. Learned all that from friends and teachers, and at a pretty late age compared to the other kids too. So I'm wondering this:

Who taught you how to swim, and at what age?
Who taught you how to ride a bike, and at what age?
Who taught you how to read, and at what age?

For me that would be:

Teacher, 8/9 years old.
Friend, 10 years old
Teacher, 7 years old

The outcome of this thread may, or may not, be used in a court case against my parents.

Rye
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
I still can't really swim, but I've taught myself not to completely drown when I get into a pool at the age of 13, so... xD

As for the other two, I'd say my Mom did.

Jojee
03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
My dad tried to teach me but I still suck at it. xD I forgot what age.

My older cousin taught me when I was 5-6ish~

School! At whatever age they do this stuff :p I was learning Chinese characters since I was 2-3 though. It's a pity I forgot them all. xD

Rantz
03-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I think I must've been around 6 when I learned to swim, it was in swimming school. As for the bike, it was a combination between my parents and my older brother and myself. I was angry at them one day, age unknown, so I set out to prove to them how useless I was at it. Of course, that was the first time I succeeded in riding my bike and my bad temper was gone with the wind.

I learned how to read when I was 3. I don't know how that happened!

Big D
03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Swimming: Parents, but moreso the teachers in the swimming classes they arranged, and primarily my teachers at school. Age: not certain, I remember having classes around the age of 5-6 or so.

Riding a bike: Parents, mainly Dad, around the age of 6.

Reading: Again, my parents were primarily responsible for this, and they encouraged it greatly from a very early age. I was probably beginning to pick up the basics sometime after my 4th birthday, and I could handle simple books before I turned 6. I was the top speller in the school during my final year of primary school.

I can't be certain of the ages quoted here; they're merely best estimates based on approximately on my earliest recollections of doing these things.

Mirage
03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I could read before i started in first grade. Not sure who taught me it.
My dad taught me to ride a bike when i was maybe 7, and some teacher how to swim, when i was about 8-9 or so.

Faris
03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Swimming - A swimming instructor when I was 4.
Bike riding - Parents and I have no idea what age, I'm guessing that I ditched the training wheels when I was 6 or 7.
Reading - I honestly can not remember. Either before or after I started school.

rubah
03-24-2008, 03:45 PM
--Swimming lessons at the innaciddy pool at about 5 or so.
--My dad in our backyard; first with a tricycle very young, then training wheels at 4 or 5 and we worked on maintaining balance without them at 5 or 6. He'd start me at the top of a grassy hill and push me down so I could get balanced without pedalling, then he would yell for me to pedal so I could make it up the next hill xD It was really effective!
--I guess my parents[dad] did. I could read in kindergarten apparently, and my mom says she thinks before. The first book I ever read was a little square cardboard Bambi xD

Zeldy
03-24-2008, 03:56 PM
It will have been my Dad to begin with, he made sure that both me and my brother were confident swimmers in case anything ever happened. I went to a lot of swimming classes and won awards, and in primary school we had a swimming lesson every week. Age wise I'll have probably been 6 or 7.

My Dad taught me to how to ride my bike, but probably my brother too as he is older and I used to follow him everywhere. I wasn't that confident on a bike really, I used to sit on a little extra seat on my Dad's bike when I was very young screaming at my Dad to go FASTER FASTER! I started going on a bike on my own when I was about 7 or 8, I think.

My Mum probably. I used to get books from primary school too, with a 'reading monitor' booklet that my parents would have to sign to show that I'm reading at home. I started reading at an early age, 4 or 5, I don't know. I used to love reading and writing, I was one of the first to start writing in a pen.

Randgris
03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I can't reslly swim well, I could float, and 'dive' underwater but that's it. My cousin (I think) taught me how to float.

I learned when I was about 4~5 I can't really remember. My parents bought me a trike (bike with a passenger seat at the right).

I was reading (my mom said) when I was still 2~4 years old. She taught me.

Those questions are ridiculous and are not basis for saying that your parents neglected you. Maybe you should also consider their other priorities like work, house chores, etc. What you feel, neglected, is normal, especially if you have a younger sibling. Rebels are usually made that way...

Shlup
03-24-2008, 04:00 PM
We didn't have a pool, so my uncle taught me how to swim at his house. My parents taught me how to ride a bike and read.

KentaRawr!
03-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Swimming - Well, I know HOW to swim, just not well. Anyway, I guess that would be my parents.

Bike - A friend of mine who lived across the street from me.

Reading - My Mom.

BardTard
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM
A swimming instructor when I was... 11 or so. *embarassed* and yes all the other kids in the class were like... 4.

My mom... like 7-8ish.

Teachers. I'll say 6.

Psychotic
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Swimming teacher, 5/6 years old.
Dad, 4/5 years old.
Mum, 2 years old.

fire_of_avalon
03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Daddy taught me some swimming basics when I was 6 or 7, but we never had much time to go river swimming in the summer months. One of my aunts taught me a little more about it when I was 8 and one of my great aunts taught me even more when I was 13. Even so, I'm a terrible swimmer. My boyfriend is an amazing swimmer and makes fun of me a lot, but he's tried to encourage my swimming since we've been together. So yeah, I've had lots of teachers xD

Daddy taught me a tricycle and big wheel when I was a toddler, but when it came time for real bikes I went through a scaredy cat phase. He finally got me on a real bike when I was 10 and I screamed and cried my way to balance. I love to ride bikes now.

He also taught me to read without realizing he was doing it. I have a photographic memory so when he would read to me I memorized what the words were. I could read when I was about 3 but it was mostly memorization of my favorite books. I wasn't formally introduced to reading in school until I was 6 (first grade) but I could read the whole book without any help. I could write when I was five.

Miriel
03-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Parents dumped me in the pool when I was like 6 years old and had me thrash about in order to save my own life. That was not a fun experience.

Bike, I vaguely recall my dad teaching me how to ride without training wheels, but I can't remember at what age.

Reading... parents taught me how to read Korean. Teachers at school taught me how to read English. I used to be really really crappy at reading English. Stumbled over words all the time and I hated popcorn reading time in class. And then one summer I was just like, f-that! And I read a crapton of books on my own. Now I read like a book a week and my vocabulary is better than anyone I know. How do you like me now, suckas???

scrumpleberry
03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
My mother, I guess. I'm not sure what age.

Ahahaha, I still can't. I can pretty much balance very very slowly for about 5 metres after 10 minutes of painstaking effort, then I just sort of teeter over pathetically. I sort of "learned" as far as I got when I was about 8 or so, I guess. Again, it was my mother. Needless to say, I try to avoid situations where I have to ride bikes. It's embarrassing not to know how at my age.

Myself, from a very early age. I'm talking 2/3 here, as soon as I could understand what reading was I wanted to do it. I was an absolute reading fanatic, and refused point blank to let my mother help me learn, to the point of throwing tantrums where I was practically frothing at the mouth. I'm still a little like that now, actually - I don't like to be taught entirely new things because I feel embarrased that someone is seeing me do something that I'm not yet much good at. I taught myself to write as well. With the help of teaching books and videos, of course.

Namelessfengir
03-24-2008, 06:43 PM
swim: the Y age 6 then i forgot til age 14
bike: dad about same time
read: i can conceive of ever not reading.... it kinda scares me

Shiny
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Dad. And I was five or six, but I think everyone instinctively knows how to swim. It's just the matter of not panicking.

Dad again. And I was 10. I rode a tricycle for the longest time until I got too big for it and was forced to learn how to ride a bicycle.

A teacher who was really sweet and gave me a donut once. I was 7 when I finally learned how to officially read, but six when I started reading Dr. Seuss books.

Cz
03-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Swimming: My parents took my to pools when I was very young, so I was used to water, but I preferred to float around in a rubber ring or paddle in the shallow parts of the pool rather than learn to swim properly. My school gave us swimming lessons from about age seven onwards, and I think that's the first time I was taught.

Bike: I wasn't very interested in learning to ride a bike, but when I got to age eight or so my parents decided it was somethng I ought to do and taught me together. I had to learn on a girl's bike, though, because all of my stuff was handed down from my sister. :(

Read: I don't remember learning to read at all. The earliest memory I have of reading a book is at age five, but I could probably read long before that. My parents are both teachers, so they encouraged me very early on. At a guess, I'd say I learned at about age 3.

Tavrobel
03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Swimming: my sister, at four years.
Riding a bike: my cousins, at seven years.
Reading: my sister, at three years.

Roto13
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM

My swimming instructor. I don't remember when.

Me. Still don't remember when.

My mom, by reading to me every night before bed in early life. :D

Renmiri
03-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I taught my dad how to swim!!! :p Both he and my mom were terrified of water but they put me and sis on good classes from early age so we are excellent swimmers. My mom can only dog paddle but my dad can swim nowadays

My dad taught me when I was 5-6ish~

according to my parents I was reading at 4, with no formal teaching except them with flashcards. All I know is that by 6 I had read whole chapter books

Jess
03-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Swimming: Both of my parents taught me to swim at an early age. I think I was probably 4 years old. Going swimming used to be one of my favourite things when I was little.

Bike: My dad taught me how to ride a bike when I was 5. The first time he took my stabalisers off my bike I fell off and was crying and he took a picture. Hahahaha. :jess:

Reading: Both of my parents, brother and teachers. I started to learn to read at home with my parents and brother when I was like 4/5, but then I improved a lot when I started school.

Araciel
03-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Ride bike: I didn't learn till I was 12, I got on a bike and rode down the front lawn, then I could do it.

Swim: I didn't 'swim' until I was about 9 I think, fell in the pool by school and needed to swim out.

Read: School/Sesame Street. From the age of five.

Freya
03-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Mom, 5/6 years old.
Dad, 4/5 years old.
Mom, 2 years old.

Breine
03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Some random swimming teacher taught me how to do it properly - Up until that point I was just doing the doggie paddle. I was probably 7 or something.

My dad did and I think I was 5.

I don't remember :(

smittenkitten
03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
My Dad and Mum taught me how to swim, I can't remember what age i was but I think I was about six years old.

My Dad bought me my first bike when I was six. I loved it! :heart: It was a purple bike with a white basket, he taught me that day.

My teacher mainly when I about sxi or seven years old when I could write properly.

Jessweeee♪
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Now that I've been growing old and getting significantly closer to my inevitable death, I have been thinking about my childhood a bit, and I realized my parents never taught me how to ride a bike, swim or read. Learned all that from friends and teachers, and at a pretty late age compared to the other kids too. So I'm wondering this:

For me that would be:

Teacher, 8/9 years old.
Friend, 10 years old
Teacher, 7 years old

The outcome of this thread may, or may not, be used in a court case against my parents.

I learned to swim and ride a bike around twelve-ish. I didn't really want to do either and my parents eventually forced me to learn because it's normal to know how to do those things. I learned to read when I was five or so at catholic school n.n

escobert
03-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Brothers around 5 or 6 ish I think?

Who taught you how to ride a bike, and at what age? My dad and his friends probably about the same age maybe a little bit older

My mom and uh yeah same ageish. I had trouble reading.

Rianoa
03-25-2008, 05:10 PM
i got taught them all when i was about four then my parents didn't care and my life went down the pan and i have become self efficent

Goldenboko
03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Swim: Dad and mom, forgot what age.
Bike: See above
Read: Teacher, whenever I was in the 1st grade xD

~*~Celes~*~
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
How to swim? Dad would throw me in the pool and he'd tell me to swim so I wouldn't drown. I was 3.

Ride a bike? 4. Dad would put me on the bike and told me to pedal so I wouldn't fall.

Read? About 4 or 5. Learned from parents.

Blue Harvest
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Teachers tried to teach me at 8/9. They failed.

My brother tried to teach me when I was 5, but after he let go of the bike I punched him in the face. He refused to teach me after that. I tried teaching myself a few years ago but I gave up.

Teachers at age 5. I guess my mum helped a bit because it was a school requirement that we read to our parents for 10 minutes every morning.