Breine
03-24-2008, 07:24 PM
So, what's your favourite reality show?

DK
03-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Dog the Bounty Hunter is my man

scrumpleberry
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Don't appeal much. Some of them can be fun to watch if one is channel surfing and there's nothing better on. Aside from that, they really tend to bug me.

Actually, WifeSwap can be pretty fun. Some makeovery shows are alright.

Xander
03-24-2008, 10:50 PM
This one about the most horrible injuries that happened at this hospital, it's lovely and gruesome, does that count? :D

I Don't Need A Name
03-24-2008, 11:27 PM
As long as its a reality tv show where every show is put together into one then blown up, i like it
aka i hate reality tv with a passion

Sarc the Swordsman
03-24-2008, 11:28 PM
None. Reality TV isn't reality. It's usually staged by actors, or idiots. (Thinks of shows like Big Brother, for example)

Roto13
03-24-2008, 11:48 PM
The only reality show I've ever not hated was Airline. The rest can go burn.

Laddy
03-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Don't get me started! I LOVE Reality TV!

My favorites are Survivor, Solitary, and Amazing Race!

Mirage
03-24-2008, 11:58 PM
That show Beauty and the geek was kinda lol.

Dynast-Kid
03-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Flavor of Love and it's spinoff, I love New York. <333

Even though the shows sometimes depict us blacks as lecherous and uneducated, it's so ridculously funny in a dumb way! I love it!

Mirage
03-25-2008, 01:22 AM
You aren't?!

rubah
03-25-2008, 01:29 AM
I think the last reality tv show I watched on a 'well this is on so let's watch it while doing math homework' regular basis was nanny 911

Araciel
03-25-2008, 01:58 AM
The Price is Right.

Bart's Friend Milhouse
03-25-2008, 03:30 AM
Anything competitive and where the participants come with character

blackmage_nuke
03-25-2008, 06:03 AM
Drawn Together

Miriel
03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Top Chef!

I <3 Top Chef so much. I think I'd go all fangirl if I ever met some of the contestants. And I'd be a puddle of mush if I ever met some of the judges for the show. Anthony Bourdain, Eric Ripert? Insane!

Project Runway is also fantastic.

And right now I'm digging America's Best Dance Crew and I can't wait for So You Think You Can Dance to start up again.

I'm a really big fan of reality TV shows that showcase some really amazing talent. It's inspiring and entertaining at the same time.

America's Next Top Model is my "love to hate" reality tv show. It's entertaining but there's almost zero talent there. I've got to assume that it's getting really hard for the producers to get any decent photographers on the show cause the whole production is just so embarrassing. "Hey, let's dress the girls up in RAW MEAT and make a photoshoot out of it! Yeah!" Ugh, insipid, gross, and totally not inspiring.

Breine
03-25-2008, 10:20 AM
As for me I think Project Runway would have to be my favourite. It's entertaining, it's a competition, the contestants actually make something and it's a creative process.

America's Next Top Model is my "love to hate" reality tv show. It's entertaining but there's almost zero talent there. I've got to assume that it's getting really hard for the producers to get any decent photographers on the show cause the whole production is just so embarrassing. "Hey, let's dress the girls up in RAW MEAT and make a photoshoot out of it! Yeah!" Ugh, insipid, gross, and totally not inspiring.

If you like the modelling thing "Make Me a Supermodel" is way better than "Top Model" and there are both guys and girls competing for the price. As I see it "Top Model" is all about making Tyra Banks look good and doesn't really have that much to do with the actual fashion industry.

El Bandito
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Top Chef easily. The Ultimate Fighter I tune into sometimes since I love MMA.

Though I've also found myself drawn to dancing shows. Not that "with the Stars" crap, but watching amateurs on that Dance Crew show and SYTYCD every now and then is fun.

Of the "big time" reality shows, I think I like The Amazing Race the best.

Miriel
03-25-2008, 05:38 PM
If you like the modelling thing "Make Me a Supermodel" is way better than "Top Model" and there are both guys and girls competing for the price. As I see it "Top Model" is all about making Tyra Banks look good and doesn't really have that much to do with the actual fashion industry.

I've watched Make Me a Supermodel. It's a snoozefest. Soooo boring. And from the looks of it, I highly doubt that any one of those contestants would ever become a supermodel. The spinoffs of America's Next Top Model, like Australia's Next Top Model and Germany's Next Top Model HAVE been successful in launching respectable careers. The winner of AusNTM last season has gone on to walk at New York, Paris, Milan fashion weeks for designers like Lanvin and Louie Vuitton and Alexander McQueen. Russia's Next Top Model winner, Ksenia, has gone on to walk for Versace, Gucci, and Armani. It's insane how successful these girls have become while all of ANTM winners have been complete flops. I don't think I single ANTM girl will ever make it to NY Fashion week's runway, let alone Paris or Milan. I expect the same kind of failure for Make Me a Supermodel hamsters as well.

I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my last post but I LOOOOOOVE Jon and Kate Plus 8. Like, head over heels in love with the show. The kids make my ovaries go nuts. After watching the show, all I wanna do is start popping out babies.

Randgris
03-27-2008, 08:02 AM
America's Next Top Model*
Project Runway*
Pinoy Big Brother (any edition)
Amazing Race
The Swan
American Idol*

*Reality Show?

Laddy
03-27-2008, 11:17 PM
I like that Survivor contestants are becoming more and more, well..tolerable. I still hate that Rob Mariano was on SIX reality shows! Six! And he hasn't won anything in his life!

Aerith's Knight
03-28-2008, 01:59 AM
the best reality show is out your window.

Markus. D
03-28-2008, 06:08 AM
IRON CHEF!

This one Reine showed me... oh gosh it sounded epic, like... seriously, big manly men on tiny little trikes... racing + epic music = lol.

So you think you can dance

edit: I forget the name! but the one where the kids have to live for 40 days out in the western~

escobert
03-28-2008, 06:16 AM
FLAVA FLAAAAAV

and liz and I used to watch the Real world/road rules gauntlet :D

Bakamut
03-28-2008, 08:00 AM
There is nothing I hate more than reality TV. Well there probably is, but you get the point. Reality TV sucks.

Dynast-Kid
03-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Oh my God, how could I forget Top Chef! Easily the best food show ever! Colicchio is kind of a jerk, but I love him!

I'm also fond of ANTM and Make Me a Supermodel. Both entertaining, but like others said, ANTM is really all about Tyra looking good and generous, while Make Me a Supermodel actually looks promising!

Laddy
03-29-2008, 01:39 AM
There is nothing I hate more than reality TV. Well there probably is, but you get the point. Reality TV sucks.
:mad2:

I love Reality TV, I actually met I guy who met Teri and Ian from The Amazing Race 3/All-Stars.

Bakamut
03-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Actually I just remembered one reality TV show that I do like. IRON CHEF!!! That show rules :hyper:

Heath
03-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Does The Apprentice count? That was a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine during the last series. Not quite sure what I made of the first episode of the latest one though.

The Ceej
03-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Reality television (and more specifically, Survivor) is directly responsible for the fact there is nothing good on TV anymore. And even when something good shows upon TV, it doesn't last. This is because the ratings all go to the crap reality shows. Sure there were reality shows before Survivor, but Survivor was the one that shows the networks, "Hey, we can spend pennies on a show that's not even that well done and the idiots will watch it anyway. We don't need to spend a lot of money making a quality show that might fail when we can spend a fraction making a skullzy show that won't fail." So, they came up with reality show after reality show by asking random homeless people on the street for their reality show ideas and making them into crap television. I wish I could go back in time and kill the creator of Survivor before it gets created. There would be plenty of stuff on TV.

Drawn Together

The downside to that is that this brilliant and hilarious show would never exist because the genre of which it makes fun would not exist. But if that's the price to pay to get quality shows on television and get reality shows off, then so be it.

Miriel
03-29-2008, 06:46 PM
There are lots of good things on television. Sure the writers strike messed things up a bit, but just wait until this summer/fall and you'll have a crapload of amazing shows to watch.

Comedy: The Office, Pushing Daisies, Chuck
Drama: Battlestar Galactica, Tudors, Dirty Sexy Money, Lost

There are plenty of crap reality tv shows, but also some really great ones as well. Have you seen the amazing creations that people on Project Runway put on in a day's notice? Do you see the kind of passion and soul that goes into the dance routines on America's Best Dance Crew? I would argue that displaying real talent to the world via the reality television medium can change people's lives. There's nothing like a bit of inspiration to kick start what could turn out to be a person's passion in life.

The Ceej
03-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Do you realize that anyone who ever makes any money in the entertainment industry after going on one of these reality talent shows has most of taken from them by the show on which they went? It's in the contract they sign. They don't even have to win or even be good to lose all the money that they would make in the future. I would argue that, while it may get them known, it won't allow them to make money in the field they wish to enter. These shows shouldn't be on the air. The reason they are is that people are idiots. I see that that's the reason for a lot of things in this world these days.

smittenkitten
03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
My favourite Reality TV shows would have to be Big Brother, Pop Idol, X Factor and I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here. :)

Miriel
03-30-2008, 03:47 AM
Do you realize that anyone who ever makes any money in the entertainment industry after going on one of these reality talent shows has most of taken from them by the show on which they went? It's in the contract they sign. They don't even have to win or even be good to lose all the money that they would make in the future. I would argue that, while it may get them known, it won't allow them to make money in the field they wish to enter. These shows shouldn't be on the air. The reason they are is that people are idiots. I see that that's the reason for a lot of things in this world these days.

You don't know what you're talking about.

The winner of Top Chef took his money and put it into a new restaurant in New York. A restaurant that is doing quite well these days. I'd say that the show helped him reach that level of success that he has found. Winners of American Idol (and even those who don't win) go on to be hugely successful as well, selling millions of records and selling out concerts. Your conspiracy theories never fail to amaze me.

Laddy
03-30-2008, 05:10 AM

You don't know what you're talking about.

The winner of Top Chef took his money and put it into a new restaurant in New York. A restaurant that is doing quite well these days. I'd say that the show helped him reach that level of success that he has found. Winners of American Idol (and even those who don't win) go on to be hugely successful as well, selling millions of records and selling out concerts. Your conspiracy theories never fail to amaze me.
Actually, they do use the money. Ethan Zohn (football pro) from Survivor: Africa started a succesful football business/charity. While Reichen Lekhmul supported Gay Pride.

The Ceej
03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Apparently no one understood my statement. Well, then, I don't feel I have to validate it. Just get a copy of the contracts from these talent reality shows and read it yourself.

El Bandito
03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Does it matter if the talent show takes a portion of their money? They still make tons and tons of it. In the entertainment business, becoming successful is all about exposure. If most of these talented people never got on these shows, they'd have the same talent level, but they would never get people to see them perform.

You act like it's a parasitic relationship, but the benefit on both sides is mutual.

Flying Mullet
03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
When people are desperate to succeed they'll take desperate measures.

Dynast-Kid
04-01-2008, 12:36 AM
FUN FACT: The contract from the reality show, Kid Nation, including a clause that prevented the station and producers from being sued if a child ended up dead, dismembered, or contracted an STD!!!

Miriel
04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Why reality TV can be a good thing:

Jabbawockeez (http://jabbawockeez.com) - the winners of America's Best Dance Crew
JabbaBaby! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-tnxkXpjFkc) - 2 year old toddler mimicing the moves of Jabba
Elijah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwSQOMXz-A) - 3 year old kid dancing to Jabba's moves
Josh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIdECEYQ_bc) - 11 years old, ALSO following Jabba's foot steps.

And there's lots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuL3TAYkTjM) and lots (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2AM6ZXhTDbo) more (http://youtube.com/watch?v=IzrPTmR33nc) on Youtube.

This is *incredible*. Through America's Next Dance Crew, Jabba has managed to inspire tons of people, myself included. But more than that, they've inspired a whole new freakin' generation of dancers. These kids are mimicking Jabba the way people used to mimic Michael Jackson. It's really an amazing thing to witness.

Like I said earlier in my posts, reality television has the potential to be greater than regular television because of it's ability to showcase TRUE talent and thereby inspire tons of people to be better and do greater things. Sure reality TV can be crap a lot of times. But when its good, it's REALLY good.

Araciel
04-03-2008, 09:11 AM
:D

http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/115902-eyesons-next-cids-knight-round-1-a.html

Momiji
04-03-2008, 02:31 PM
The only reality TV show I remotely enjoy is Hell's Kitchen. I can't stand all of the other ones, especially the modeling ones. But the ones I hate the most are Flavor of Love, I Love New York, and Rock of Love.

@Araciel: I really hope the CK competition doesn't get as melodrama-soaked as the stuff on TV does.