PDA

View Full Version : The End Of An Era (Or The Pointy End Or The End With The Feathers?)

The Ceej
03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I was just in the bathtub thinking. Not a pretty visual, I know. For those of you who just ate, my apologies. Besides, when has my thinking ever been a good thing?

It's okay. It was benign this time. (Side note: Why does Firefox underline "okay"? Apparently it doesn't know simple words. There's got to be a way to teach it words like I can do with other programs.) It was only about Square games of the past.

Super Mario RPG was the last game Squaresoft made for the Super Nintendo. They and Nintendo worked together to make this game. What, however, was the last game Squaresoft made by themselves for the Super Nintendo? I believe Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI both came out in 1995. Is this correct? I can't verify it by looking at the cases because both of my copies are the PlayStation versions and, rather than look it up like a person with half a brain, I decided to start a thread about it mainly because I think a discussion about SNES-era Squaresoft games is in order.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-24-2008, 09:11 PM
Square released Treasure of the Rudras in 1996, after Super Mario RPG. They also released Treasure Hunter G even later, but that was just a Sting game for which they served as publisher.

FFVI was released in '94, and Square released enough games between Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG that I don't care to list them all here.

Flying Mullet
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Breath of Fire appears to be the only game released between Final Fantasy VI and Crono Trigger, if you're referring to North American releases.

List of Square games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_games)

This is assuming Wikipedia is correct.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Why would you go by the North American dates? And anyway, Breath of Fire is a Capcom game. Square only acted as publisher--and only in the United States.

Flying Mullet
03-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Why would you go by the North American dates? And anyway, Breath of Fire is a Capcom game. Square only acted as publisher--and only in the United States.
I assumed he didn't mean Japanese releases since he stated Super Nintendo instead of Super Famicom.

And you're splitting hairs on details to show-off. :p

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-24-2008, 11:43 PM
It's not splitting hairs. Among other things, calling Breath of Fire a Square game wouldn't be fair to its actual developers.

The Ceej
03-25-2008, 02:17 AM
All right, you two. Calm down.

I was referring to the North American releases. I said Super Nintendo, as MILF said. I live in North America, therefore, those are the releases that matter to me. What am I going to do with a Famicom game? I can't play it on my Nintendo.

So, then, first came Final Fantasy VI, then Chrono Trigger, then Super Mario RPG. Were there any North American Squaresoft releases for the Super Nintendo after Super Mario RPG? I didn't think there were, but it was brought to my attention that I might be wrong.

Again, I don't count Breath Of Fire as a Squaresoft game for the same reason I only count Super Mario RPG as half a Squaresoft game. Releasing it doesn't make it developed by you.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-25-2008, 03:00 AM
For the record, though, Square did develop Super Mario RPG. Nintendo's contribution was licensing and publishing.

Roto13
03-25-2008, 06:44 AM
And Mushrooms.