PDA

View Full Version : Classic Windows Shutdown Screen In XP

The Ceej
03-25-2008, 02:29 AM
I have three machines. My original machine runs Windows 2000 and always will. The two, I recently built run Windows XP. There are two images below. The upper image shows me trying to shut down my Windows 2000 system and the lower image shows me trying to shut down one of my XP systems. What I want to do is make my XP systems shut down like the upper image. I know it can be done because, at my brother's work, they run Windows XP and it shuts down like the upper image. They claim it was always like that and they wouldn't know how to change it. I asked my computer parts store guy and he said to change the start menu to classic style to which I replied that I already had and then he said there would be no other way to do it, and I know he's wrong, because my brother's work's computers run XP and shut down like the upper picture. The lower picture is annoying and treats me like a moron. I don't want a button that says, "Turn Off" like I don't know what "Shut Down" means. I want a drop down menu with the options, "Shut Down," "Restart," and "Log Off." I figured there had to be someone on the internet who knows how to make my XP systems shut down like the lower picture. Can anyone help me?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/Win2000ShutDown.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/WinXPShutdown.jpg

EDIT: A friend of mine helped me change it to this:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/WinXPShutdownClassic.jpg
Which was in the weirdest of places. However, I'm still worried about this:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/WindowsXPStartMenu.jpg
It still says, "Turn Off Computer" in the start menu. I have it set on classic start menu, classic style, and I have the Welcome screen turned off even though I like it because it would look like the picture before the edit if I left it on. Any time I have the option for modern or classic, I choose classic, yet it still says "Turn Off Computer" in my start menu. All I want it to say is, "Shut Down." There's got to be a way. Right?

o_O
03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I messed about with this sort of thing a while ago and it's actually pretty easy.

You need a resource hacking program - I've always used one called Resource Hacker, but you can use whatever you like. Open c:\windows\explorer.exe in your program and find the data String Table > 46 > 1033. You should be able to see the text for various things in the Windows shell, so just change the appropriate text to whatever you like.

If you're using Resource Hacker, you need to compile the script with the button above the right-hand pane (I don't know about other programs :p), and then go to File > Save As, and save it under a different name to explorer.exe. I did it just now and called mine exploder.exe. :p

Then you need to make Windows use your modified shell. Go to Start > Run > 'regedit', and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Find the string value "Shell" in the left-hand pane, and change the data in it to point to your modified shell.

Finally, start your task manager with ctrl + alt + del, and go to the processes tab. Kill explorer.exe and then run your new shell with File > New Task > 'exploder.exe' (or whatever you called it).

The Ceej
03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
That sounds unnecessarily complicated. If Microsoft didn't include a way to do this in XP, in only confirms my suspicion that Microsoft peaked with Windows 2000 and that they only cater to stupid people now. I hope they go out of business.

EDIT: This is really weird, but when I went to my start menu, just now, to open my calculator, "Log Off" was gone and "Turn Off Computer" was now "Shut Down." I don't know why. I didn't change anything. XP is really weird. I still say Microsoft peaked with Windows 2000.

So yeah. My problem is solved.

edczxcvbnm
03-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Control Panel -> User Accounts

Disable Fast User Switching and the other option. This is what you want I believe. When you start your computer you get a Log on box instead of accounts to click on but I believe it also changes how the computer shuts down.

rubah
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM
If you like Windows 2000 so much why don't you marry it?

Or install it.

o_O
03-26-2008, 12:08 AM
That sounds unnecessarily complicated. If Microsoft didn't include a way to do this in XP, in only confirms my suspicion that Microsoft peaked with Windows 2000 and that they only cater to stupid people now. I hope they go out of business.

It's not unnecessarily complicated. Microsoft designed the explorer.exe software as an integral part of their closed-source, proprietary operating system, and as such, they (justly) wouldn't and shouldn't have anticipated a high demand to change specific fixed entries in menus all over the place. To change things like this requires explorer.exe to be hacked - that's not functionality I would expect to be present in a proprietary operating system, least of all anything by Microsoft.

If Windows went out of business, I wouldn't have a majority market to complain about. :p

The Ceej
03-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Except you forgot about the part where I said the problem fixed itself. If Windows XP goes online and reads what I complain about and thus fixes the problems itself, then I'm both happy that it's able to do that and outraged that it invades my privacy. All unjustified paranoia aside, I don't know how it ended up fixing itself, but here's a picture of what it looks like now:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/WinXPClassicStartMenu.jpg

Again, I didn't do anything to make it do this. I woke up this morning and and was different. I noticed when I went to use my calculator.

o_O
03-26-2008, 02:46 AM
Except you forgot about the part where I said the problem fixed itself.

Oh, don't worry, I wasn't trying to help in that post. I've got a job for that kind of response.

crono_logical
03-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Just for the record, my laptop running XP says Shutdown in the start menu and gives Win2k-esque shutdown dialog boxes, and I've done no complicated resource hacking :p It's a local policy setting somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it - ed might be right with disabling the fast user switching stuff, which is forcefully disabled on XP machines on a domain like ones in work environments :p

The Ceej
03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Control Panel -> User Accounts

Disable Fast User Switching and the other option. This is what you want I believe. When you start your computer you get a Log on box instead of accounts to click on but I believe it also changes how the computer shuts down.

Just for the record, this is what my friend told me to do to change the dialog box. The start menu changed on its own the next day. Unfortunately, doing the above made my welcome screen go away. I guess it's a necessary evil to make my shutdown dialog work right.

edczxcvbnm
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
I knew I was probably right on this but that change to shut down would not have happened right away. Windows needed to go through a shutdown/restart process for the full amount of changes to take effect...or maybe just a login/logoff since it has to do with user accounts more than anything.

A nice side effect of this is that when you ctl+alt+del you get the windows 2000 results instead of the fast user switching which just brings up task manager. Windows 2000 gives you a windows security box that has six buttons that read. I am not sure if I should even call this windows 2000 mode though. Maybe NT mode or something.

Lock Computer
Log Off
Shut Down
Change Password
Task manager
Cancel

Fast user switching does not bring that box up.

The Ceej
03-27-2008, 06:01 PM
I knew I was probably right on this but that change to shut down would not have happened right away. Windows needed to go through a shutdown/restart process for the full amount of changes to take effect...or maybe just a login/logoff since it has to do with user accounts more than anything.

Except I didn't shut down or restart the computer since I made these changes. It just happened by itself. It's still been running. The closest I came was turning off the monitor so I could sleep. Weird, huh?

edczxcvbnm
03-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Yep...then I don't know. Unless someone else uses your computer or it went into sleep/hibernation mode XP

The Ceej
03-27-2008, 07:25 PM
No. I'm the only one that uses it and I have it set to never hibernate or activate a screen saver or any of that "automatically do this when idle" crap. It just did it by itself. It's not really a problem considering as how it's what I wanted it to do. So, rather than it being a problem, it's the solution to a problem.

edczxcvbnm
03-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Okay...I don't know why it didn't happen right away then XP