PDA

View Full Version : Want Some Cinema On Your Toast?

The Ceej
03-25-2008, 04:32 AM
I've played, on the PlayStation, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IV, and Final Fantasy V (in that order), expecting cinemas in every one of them because some jackass at a video game store told me there would be. Fact is, the only cinemas added to those games were as an opening and an ending.

So, now, I'm playing Chrono Trigger in this same series of Final Fantasy remakes and I just got to the Proto Dome, and what was there? A cinema. They actually added cinemas to this game. And it was beautiful. I wonder if characters will talk in these cinemas. Crono is rather attractive. I had pretty much given up on expecting added cinemas due to being disappointed so damn many times, so it was a nice surprise.

Discuss this the cinemas in the PlayStation version of Chrono Trigger and various other things related to what I just said.

On a side note, these are some creative names for characters: A time traveler named Crono, a frog named Frog, and a robot named Robo. I couldn't come up with better names myself.

Skyblade
03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Technically, Frog and Robo aren't their names. Frog's true name is Glenn, and Robo's true name is R-66Y, or, as you learn later, Prometheus. Robo got his name because Marle didn't want to call him something as akward as R-66Y the whole time, and Glenn got his sometime in the Middle Ages (had he been named by your group, the people in the Middle Ages would have referred to him by his true name, which only happens on a few rare occasions), and there are plenty of ways to explain his name change. Since you're allowed to name them whatever you want anyway, I don't think there's much reason to complain about their default names.

blackmage_nuke
03-25-2008, 01:52 PM
I think the names are rather clever. You dont have to think hard about who's who.

And you forgot a magician named magus

I think the cinematics were pretty cool too, they dont talk in any of them but I prefer it that way. It would ruin the imagination side of things.

Roogle
03-25-2008, 05:11 PM
I felt that the cinemas in Chrono Trigger were an enticing part of Final Fantasy Chronicles; however, I think that the downfalls of the port in the form of loading times and other mistakes in programming outweigh the benefits of fully animated cutscenes.

Have you beat the game yet, The Ceej? Did you know that some of the content in the cinemas were not included in the original game at all? I think that there is one ending, in particular, that leaves many more questions than answers. I prefer the original game to the port despite any of the extra cinemas, but I admit that I am pleased that you like the animation style of the series.

The Ceej
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
No, I haven't beaten it yet. The first time I played the game, on Super Nintendo, I got as far as Masa and Mune. I was a newbie to RPG's back then, and once they combined, it became too hard for me. Now that I'm kicking Final Fantasy ass, I decided to try it again. I'm about to leave the end of time for the first time now, going back to 1000 AD. I plan to finish it this time and I believe I can. Back then, the only RPG's I had beaten were Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IV Easy Type, both easy games. Now, I've beaten almost all of the Final Fantasy games as well as a few other RPG's.

Reeno the Alchemist
03-29-2008, 04:12 PM
yea I spent 5 years of my life searching for that game... and it was well worth the wait, I always love to see akira toriyamas' work! I was only annoyed with all the men wearing the same stupid hat... that really annoyed me O-o. I really love to watch the ending though *spoiler* in my opinion that is the best cinema!!!! I think ill go watch it now ^^