PDA

View Full Version : Dead Fantasy II out at last...

Big D
03-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Many of you might remember this thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/110474-dead-fantasy.html), which linked to the first fan-made 'Dead Fantasy' video that sees the women of Final Fantasy square off against their Dead or Alive counterparts...

Well, the next part is online now (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/193489.html) and it's pretty damn amazing. It's completely smurfed up, in the best way possible, and it's got the same energy and momentum as the first installment. Lots of new surprises, too - more characters, more magic spells, more items and abilities familiar from the games.

Check it out! And if you haven't seen the first part (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/115884.html) yet, take a look at that as well.

ljkkjlcm9
03-25-2008, 07:49 AM
yeah, someone posted about it in General FF already

http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/115771-dead-fantasy-2-a.html
and now that's been locked and redirected here... endless link circle!

THE JACKEL

Jojee
03-25-2008, 08:48 AM
That's pretty awesome :love:

Mr Cactuar
03-25-2008, 08:57 AM
OMG. JUST OMFG. ALL I CAN THINK OF AT THE MOMENT IS OH MY SMURFING GOD.

I'd seen the 1st one and loved it, but Jesus Christ, this is too good for words.

When Rinoa came I blurted out "A CHALLENGER APPEARS!"

Markus. D
03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
NO SPOILERS CACTUAR XD!

well, I have no rule over you... but seriously... this thread should be spoiler free D:!

I was in absolute jaw dropped awe the entire battle (I saw the original screening, hear the fangirl screams of two certain character introductions xD!)

Big D
03-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm looking forward to the next five episodes greatly:D
I really don't care that what's going on is out-of-character and inconsistent with what's established for each character's universe; this stuff is fun.

Tifa's use of magic was really creative in this episode - Haste, Stop, Gravity and the rest. Not to mention the shenanigans with the Potions. As well as Rinoa's Limit Breaks. This series is kind of making me wish I knew more about the DoA characters who're featured...

Dreddz
03-25-2008, 02:02 PM
And I thought that they couldnt get any more nonsensical than the first but clearly I was wrong.

Breine
03-25-2008, 03:26 PM
It's pretty entertaining to watch. Mostly because of the creative fights.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Wow...just one question can someone explain to me how they made that video?

JKTrix
03-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Hard work and guts. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunbuster)

However people make cartoons these days, or however they make FMVs in video games, it's probably similar. He had to create all those things from scratch and put them together and animate them using CG.

The Crystal
03-25-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't have words to describe how awesome this is.

But... When will people learn that Kingdom Hearts is not part of the Final Fantasy series?!
Kairi appearing was lame.

JKTrix
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Once I saw Rachel (blonde-haired Axe chick who is not from DOA, but a related game), I actually kind of expected a non-FF character to show up. She's Rachel's parallel in that she's not from the same series of games as the rest, but related.

Drift
03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
...just wow...

Laddy
03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Not bad, I wonder who's going to appear next...

Oh, FF owned DoA, BTW.

Kasou
03-25-2008, 05:49 PM
I love both DFI and DFII, the latter more than the former. I'm not that familiar with DoA, though I know a teeny bit about the series. Very teeny though.
It's a shame they used X-2 Yuna opposed to X Yuna, but then again - Gunner Yuna has a more flowing design than Summoner Yuna. Plus Yuna just summoning and using white magic would be kinda awkward to do, and would ruin the choreography of the battle. My conclusion: Gunners kick ass :D
I also thing X-2 Rikku could of been replaced with X Rikku; except that Rikku's daggers from X-2 have a better design (in my humble opnion) than her claw in X.
And also I'd of prefered old school Tifa than AC Tifa, but AC Tifa is fine.
And wtf@ Kairi. But as already mentioned, Rachel was used from Ninja Gaiden or whatever the hell it's called - so I suppose it sorta... justifies things. Kairi's like what... 12, though?! (I've never played KH so I'm a bit unsure on that one).

Rinoa pwned them all :love:

Mr Cactuar
03-26-2008, 07:18 AM
I love both DFI and DFII, the latter more than the former. I'm not that familiar with DoA, though I know a teeny bit about the series. Very teeny though.
It's a shame they used X-2 Yuna opposed to X Yuna, but then again - Gunner Yuna has a more flowing design than Summoner Yuna. Plus Yuna just summoning and using white magic would be kinda awkward to do, and would ruin the choreography of the battle. My conclusion: Gunners kick ass :D
I also thing X-2 Rikku could of been replaced with X Rikku; except that Rikku's daggers from X-2 have a better design (in my humble opnion) than her claw in X.
And wtf@ Kairi. But as already mentioned, Rachel was used from Ninja Gaiden or whatever the hell it's called - so I suppose it sorta... justifies things. Kairi's like what... 12, though?! (I've never played KH so I'm a bit unsure on that one).

Kairi is 16 in KH2, and that was KH2 Kairi.

Rostum
03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Hard work and guts. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunbuster)

However people make cartoons these days, or however they make FMVs in video games, it's probably similar. He had to create all those things from scratch and put them together and animate them using CG.

I haven't read anything about the development, but it looks like he's just ripped the meshes from the games, rigged them up (which is freakin' hard work) and animate them (really need to know the principles of animation to even get started, and they are doing some fairly advanced movements, also choreographing the whole thing would be a huge chore; so props to them). Probably made the character and environment meshes in something like Maya or 3DS Max, and then put it all together in an engine such as Unreal3 or something.

Quite well done.

Kasou
03-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Kairi is 16 in KH2, and that was KH2 Kairi.

Thanks! I was a few years off :p

Cookie
03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
S/he should do something with original characters.

Skyblade
03-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Quite good. There were a couple minor inconsistencies that got on my nerves a little bit, but that doesn't stop it from being a brilliantly animated and choreographed bit of work. And the geekiness just makes it cooler.

Valor Kairi, the Lunar Cry, and Tifa's incredible spell use were all very well executed. I think we were about to see Rikku spherechange, right before the floating island fell off the waterfall, but she gets hit and it gets cancelled. Pity.

Plus, this vid shows just why the people in FFVIII feared the Sorceress so much.

Big D
03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
S/he should do something with original characters.The guy's done a few bits of original work - his 'Road' series sees his real-life buddies fighting each other in amusing, video-game style animations, and there are several other works on his list too. Worth a look, in my opinion.

KentaRawr!
03-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Some of the movements ended up being pretty jerky, and I didn't like it when Soul Calibur voices came in out of nowhere, but it's definitely a well done video. The only thing I think I would change would be Yuna's useless backflip off the building. Why not just jump like Tifa did? :p

Roogle
03-27-2008, 06:24 AM
I thought that the video was very empowering. I love how the animator took care to show that magic users can be physically and mentally strong.

Cyric
03-30-2008, 05:39 AM
When Rinoa came I blurted out "A CHALLENGER APPEARS!"

I got chills when I saw her and the way she entered the battle. Rikku from FFX-2 and AC Tifa (and I guess you COULD include Dr. Aki Ross but i'm trying to stay game oriented here) may be the two best looking FF characters created (imho), but Rinoa is still my favourite. :)

Bahamut2000X
03-30-2008, 05:43 AM
No Rydia or Lenna? :mad2:

Lawr
03-30-2008, 06:10 AM
That was entertaining

smittenkitten
03-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Omg i've never seen this before and I loved it. :love: Tifa rocks! I know Rinoa is all godly but I still think Tifa is better. I want to see more now. :whimper:

Dynast-Kid
03-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Man, I was sooo gonna start a thread for this!

This video is so smurfing brilliant! Those skanks from DoA didn't have a chance against the Squeenix gals!

And I LOVE Rikku's twirly, hand-stand dagger move. <333

Alucard von Elru
03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Freaking brilliant! XD I haven't seen any of Monty's videos since Haloid (I just sort of forgot to check GT again, to be honest), so when I was told about the two Dead Fantasy videos I pulled them up as soon as I could. Absolutely awesome and probably the best kind of ridiculous I've ever seen! So much fun! It really is easy to see just how much his skills have improved, as everything in here is leaps and bounds over much of his other stuff.

On a side note, I'd love him to remake Icarus in the way he originally envisioned, now that his mad skillz have gotten so much... er, madder. :P Maybe he'll find the time for it someday. If not, oh well, I can't wait to see the next parts in DF, and I can't wait to see what he does next! :cool:

LunarWeaver
04-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I waited forever for this and was not disappointed! I did not expect it to be that long or awesome. The greatness of Dead Fantasy unzips my jeans and molests me. It has the POWER.

I make grabby hands for more already! Poor guy, I'm greedy.

Heath
04-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Never saw the first one until now but I was really impressed by both of them. Not only at the quality of the work itself but at the dedication and time spent making it. It was really impressive and I'm looking forward to the new ones. Although I've only played a few odd games of Dead or Alive, I still enjoyed it. Loved the use of magic and Rinoa's Limit Break.

Shiny
04-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Monty Oum is one fantastical creative dude. :love:

Edit: This is even better than the first one! I wasn't expecting Kairi at all!

Big D
04-07-2008, 06:49 AM
The HD version of Dead Fantasy II is available for download at GameTrailers now... A quarter of a gigabyte, but well worth it. The added detail is amazing, especially Rinoa's wings.

Araciel
04-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah I DL'd like a fiend as soon as I saw them.

Skyblade
04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Download says it's down on mine.

Why's Rinoa's gunblade have "Vanishing Star" engraved on the blade?

Big D
04-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Why's Rinoa's gunblade have "Vanishing Star" engraved on the blade?I guess the creator just wanted her to have an original kind of gunblade, not simply something we've seen before like the Revolver. I think her weapon's a little shorter than the typical gunblades, which might be helpful from a choreography point of view since it'd force her to get closer to the enemy.

I did a little browsing around the internets, and reaction to these videos is sometimes rather odd: in any discussion with a surplus of Dead or Alive fans, the comments are the same: apparently, the fight is grossly unfair because the FF women are armed, have greater numbers, and use magic. This means that Monty Oum is 'teh stoopid fanboi' or something... except for the fact that all those criticisms are wrong. The DoA girls use magic, but less of it; they also have equal or greater numbers the whole time, until Kairi arrives. There's exactly one unarmed fighter on each side. They also (apparently) have an 'energy duplicate' character who can teleport and resurrect at will.
The videos do a pretty great job at reconciling the 'rules' of each universe and gluing them together into a whole new made-up combat environment, creating a shining monument to high-quality fanservice:D

fire_of_avalon
04-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I want to see some old school FF girls bust up in here. Let's replace Rinoa with Terra. Yes. Esper Terra. Yes yes YES.

Shiny
04-08-2008, 10:45 PM
That's a good idear. More Terra and less Rinoa with wings. For some reason I'd also like to see some more random characters like Samus.