PDA

View Full Version : I like Mario RPGs.

KentaRawr!
03-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Seriously, all the Mario RPGs I've played have ended up being awesome.

Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

I'm sad to say, however, that I didn't beat Paper Mario 2 or Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, but I did get pretty darned far. In Paper Mario 2, I got to the Final Boss, and it was too tough for me. I think there was some point in the game where I stopped fighting everything that moved, and I came to be a bit under-leveled. Also, the Final Boss's timing was hard to get for me.

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, again, I didn't beat. It's just because I lost contact with the cartridge. I think I was in the last dungeon. It was around the time when Bowser got a sex change.

Super Mario RPG I beat on an Emulator, so I can't help but think I cheated along the way with Save States. It was one of my absolute favorite games, though. I beat it when I was, like, from 7 to 9. I forget when.

I'm currently playing Paper Mario 1, and so far, it's awesomesauce. But I always take a long time about things. I'm only one Star in, and I think I've found the most that I can, with a time of 6 or so hours.

What do you think of Mario RPG's?

Roto13
03-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Paper Mario 1 was awesome, but then Paper Mario 2 came and improved on every single aspect of Paper Mario 1, so now when I play number 1 I don't enjoy it as much. xP

I've finished all of the Mario RPGs. Have you played Mario and Luigi 2? It's kind of in the same ballpark as PM 2. Improves on the original immensely. :P

KentaRawr!
03-26-2008, 01:05 AM
I've absolutely got to get Mario and Luigi 2. The first Mario and Luigi game was so awesome! It was almost like a Platformer, really, and the battles were really different from other RPG's. But I'll wait until I beat the other Mario RPG's I currently have first.

As for Paper Mario 2 to Paper Mario 1 comparison, I played Paper Mario 2 first, and I'm currently loving Paper Mario 1 just as much as I did 2. :p

Have you played Super Paper Mario? If so, how is it?

ljkkjlcm9
03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
I've absolutely got to get Mario and Luigi 2. The first Mario and Luigi game was so awesome! It was almost like a Platformer, really, and the battles were really different from other RPG's. But I'll wait until I beat the other Mario RPG's I currently have first.

As for Paper Mario 2 to Paper Mario 1 comparison, I played Paper Mario 2 first, and I'm currently loving Paper Mario 1 just as much as I did 2. :p

Have you played Super Paper Mario? If so, how is it?

I love the Mario RPGs, but I hated Super Paper Mario.

Sure it was interesting at first, but it just did not hold my attention. You get other characters, but Mario is the only character that can flip, and you need to do it almost constantly. The game just got boring and way too repetitive.

Paper Mario, and Mario+Luigi manage to offer new things and keep you interested as you play. I never played Thousand Year Door the whole way through, but that's because I just borrowed it from my friend. The other games I enjoyed thoroughly and recommend them. Super Paper Mario I could do without

THE JACKEL

Marshall Banana
03-26-2008, 01:20 AM
I love Paper Mario! Lately I've been playing it on my Wii! I saved all seven Star Spirits, and now I'm collecting Star Pieces and Badges. I finally completed all of Koopa Koot's errands, too; I thought he'd never stop asking Mario for favors.

I like Super Mario RPG even more than Paper Mario, though! "I'm lightning in a bottle! I'm an earthquake in a can!"

Roto13
03-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Super Paper Mario is a good game, but not compared to Paper Mario 2. xP

Evastio
03-26-2008, 02:20 AM
I've only played Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. I like the former a lot better though since the controls are a lot more simple and I like the characters in SMRPG better. It also has funnier lines like Bowser's chain reaction line.

Dreddz
03-26-2008, 02:30 AM
Ive only played Super Mario RPG and can only bear 10 agonising minutes before I need to stop and delete it off my harddrive.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-26-2008, 03:24 AM
RPG'sStop that.

Crossblades
03-26-2008, 03:31 AM
I've only played the following Mario RPGs

Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario
Paper Mario 2
Super Paper Mario

They were all very enjoyable. And I've been wanting to play the Mario & Luigi games

KentaRawr!
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
RPG'sStop that.

Nitpicky. :mad:

Evastio
03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Ive only played Super Mario RPG and can only bear 10 agonising minutes before I need to stop and delete it off my harddrive.
:mad:

You could've at least said something positive about it, besides "it felt awesome when I deleted it from my computer" and other crude remarks like that.

Roto13
03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Like ten minutes is enough to form an opinion on an RPG.

Bolivar
03-27-2008, 03:13 AM
^ It's not?

I couldn't get too much into mario RPG. The first two paper marios are both really fun games. only seen super, it looks like fun. haven't tried M&L either.

KentaRawr!
03-27-2008, 03:16 AM
No, it's not. To accurately form a well-rounded opinion on a game, you'd have to beat it! But you'll only beat it if you liked the beginning, of course.

Lenna
03-27-2008, 03:19 AM
I just like Mario in general :P, The RPG was quite good. I didn't think that when I heard about it though, goes to show how impressions can be wrong sometimes.

Has anyone played Super Paper Mario for the Wii? I wanna know if it's worth getting.

Dreddz
03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Like ten minutes is enough to form an opinion on an RPG.

I never gave an opinion, and I dont think I'd have a terribly valid one if I did. 10 minutes is enough to know whether you want to continue playing a game. I made my decision.

Skyblade
03-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I just like Mario in general :P, The RPG was quite good. I didn't think that when I heard about it though, goes to show how impressions can be wrong sometimes.

Has anyone played Super Paper Mario for the Wii? I wanna know if it's worth getting.

Super Paper Mario was an incredible disappointment. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year door is better in every way (unless you prefer SPM's head stompy, non turn based combat). If you're getting a Paper Mario game, get Thousand Year Door, and forget SPM.

Raebus
03-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Get SPM.

KentaRawr!
03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
I implore you to give it at least 10 more minutes, to form 20 minutes. Maybe then it would catch you. :p

Roto13
03-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Comparing Super Paper Mario to the other Paper Mario games is like comparing Super Mario Bros. 3 to Final Fantasy III. They're meant to be completely different things.

Alucard von Elru
03-29-2008, 06:29 AM
I really want Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Really, really badly. I've been reading a lot about it lately, and it seriously does just sound perfect for me. It seems like this ridiculous FUN explosion, and unlike most RPGs the experience sounds varied and it sounds like most of your character customization options are actually impactful in some way.

I should be ordering it soon. I can't find it in any brick-and-mortar stores, so I'll have to snatch it online!

KentaRawr!
03-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Even though that's how I'd normally describe Paper Mario 2, don't get your hopes too high. o_o

chrisfffan
03-29-2008, 02:27 PM
i think some of the simplest games are the most enjoyable super mario was a great game and all the others!

Alucard von Elru
03-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Even though that's how I'd normally describe Paper Mario 2, don't get your hopes too high. o_o
I wouldn't worry too much. I'm generally pretty good at getting games I like, so it's rare that I become disappointed (as I research games heavily before actually making the purchase). Generally the only time I get disappointed is if the game is BRAND NEW and I pick it up without doing my usually extensive research (in other words, if I buy a game right when it comes out). Naturally, some games still let me down from time to time, but in general I end up at least liking 95% of what I buy. :P

The Unknown Guru
03-30-2008, 07:53 AM
I Love (yes, with a capital L) Paper Mario. I've never played the second one and I don't really want to, just to preserve the awesomeness of that game.

Krelian
03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I've only played Paper Mario and Paper Mario 2, but they're both awesome. I love those games for their humor and innovative ideas. Like Roto, I was surprised how much Paper Mario 2 improved every bit of its prequel :) I'm not that much interested in Super Paper Mario, but I'll probably get it when I can find it cheap.

I still have to play Super Mario RPG though. I don't want to play in on an emulator, so I have to get the game, an import adapter or a US SNES...

Roto13
03-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I Love (yes, with a capital L) Paper Mario. I've never played the second one and I don't really want to, just to preserve the awesomeness of that game.

Oh, why preserve the awesomeness of one game when you can replace it with a game that's so much better? :bigsmile:

Creeping Shadow
03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
The original Super Mario RPG is one of the best SNES games out there. I still pop it in my SNES once in awhile and start a new game.

And yes this is needed on this topic to the highest extent: YouTube - Super Mario RPG - Forest Maze Song Rawest (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EvB-lIcHHPQ)

Roto13
03-31-2008, 12:21 AM
I like this (http://www.editorartist.com/game_soundtracks/Super%20Smash%20Bros%20Brawl%20-!-%20Lost%20Tracks/A12%20Beware%20The%20Forest's%20Mushrooms%20(Legend%20of%20the%20Seven%20Stars)%20-!-.mp3) more.

El Bandito
03-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga were two of the most pleasant surprises I've ever encountered gaming.

Xander
03-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Let's not forget Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time on the DS! This game is so totally cute and fun. I hear it's kinda similar to Superstar Saga though I haven't played that. But using the babies too is pretty fun both in and out of battles, like solving puzzles on the field, and its a funny game :D
(Luigi is always getting left behind or dropping a baby or something silly xD)

And Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the other I played, the thing I most like is how the battles are much more fun than traditional RPGs, using combos and different attacks, and all the items too, I didn't find myself getting bored of them.

And for both the graphic style is just lovely to behold :bigsmile:

Flying Mullet
03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
I've played:
- Super Mario RPG
- Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

And they weren't too bad. They didn't warrant too many play-throughs but they were different enough that I enjoyed them.

Momiji
04-02-2008, 04:15 AM

You seem to have something against games that are actually, you know, good.

Super Mario RPG was the first RPG I played and completed as a kid, and it's what really got me interested in the genre. If it wasn't for SMRPG, I probably wouldn't be a member here. As for the game today, it still holds nostalgic value to me, and I like it as much as I did when I got it 10-12 years ago.

Lawr
04-02-2008, 05:40 AM
I've only played Superstar Saga but I kind of got bored with it and I don't know what happened after that. It was fun while it lasted.