PDA

View Full Version : Eurotrip

Shlup
03-26-2008, 03:09 AM
I'm gathering information on Europe because my husband and I plan to spend some time there in Summer 2009.

So, queries:

1) Have you visited Europe? Where did you stay? What did you do?

2) Has anyone stayed at a hostel? Any recommendations on that?

3) Do people tip in Europe?!

4) Anyone fly from the US west coast to Europe recently? How much was an airline ticket?

5) Someone explain this "rail pass" thing to me?

6) Other information. Tell it to me.

ETA: I'm mostly interested in money-related info and specifics, like where to sleep.

Rye
03-26-2008, 03:12 AM
As for what I can answer:

I went to Italy for 2 weeks! I stayed with my grandmother in her condo. My family and I went around Bologna, my father's home town, where my grandparents were married. We also went to Venice. I met a lot of distance relatives. It was nice.

Yup!

BRING ME WITH YOU SHLUP, I'LL GET YOU DISCOUNTS. :bigsmile:

Shlup
03-26-2008, 03:14 AM
7) If I don't tip will they hit me?

Kirobaito
03-26-2008, 03:15 AM
1. I have visited Europe. I've been to, in terms of cities, Rome, Venice, Florence, Salzburg, Lucerne, Paris, and London. It was all very touristy stuff, lots of sites, lots of walking, museums, etc.

2. I have not.

3. Yes, for the most part. I wouldn't say it's as necessary as it is here, but yeah, you tip.

4. I went from Texas to Rome, so nope.

5. Never took the rail!

6. Europe is lovely. I LOVED Italy and Switzerland. I loved all the cool history stuff in Rome, the atmosphere of Venice and the little isles around it, and the culture of Florence. Lucerne... I sooooo want to go back. It was the coolest place. I'm going back to Europe, but this time to Edinburgh for the semester, where I'll do some exploring of the British Isles that I really didn't have the time to do last time I was there.

Freya
03-26-2008, 03:26 AM
1. Went to Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, and France in that order. German people are really nice. Switzerland is beautiful the people, kinda rude. Italy was meh, Venice was dirty. Maybe it wasn't so grand cause I hated the heat -.-

2. Nah we just stayed in cheap hotels.

3 AND 7. I didn't tip a few times and they didn't seem too bothered... 'Cept in france I forgot once and I got yelled at o.o

4. I flew out of Denver So dunno :/

5. Depends on where you are. Me thinks I don't remember it's been a while.

6. Germany I think was the best. It was quite pretty and the people were very friendly. Try the Neuschwanstein castle it was pretty much awesome. It's the one they based the disney one from.

Clawsze
03-26-2008, 03:33 AM
I live there. In my house. Play video Games.
Lol, but I've been on mainland Europe a few times, stayed at hotels, and went sight-seeing/bought stuffs/ate foreign food, yummy!

Not in Europe, but advise would be keep possesions under close guard.

Hell yeah! It's not complimentary, but it is always nice to give a few euros/pounds.

4) Anyone fly from the US west coast to Europe recently? How much was an airline ticket?
Nope, East Coast all the way.

You would buy one, this would allow you to go on a subway for the rest of the day using that pass. Good if you don't like walking and you'll be using the subway a lot. Not so worth it otherwise.

Most countries take Euros, however some (UK, Switzerland, Sweden) take of currency. Check online for any places you're going to to check if they use euros or not. Also, visit England, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?!

rubah
03-26-2008, 04:23 AM
whatever plug they tell you you'll probably need in most places will NOT be the plug you actually need >:[

I stayed at the Strand in London, twin beds in a hotel room were a new experiences.

Be prepared for crazy taxes. there are hugely high VATs everywhere (but if you spend so much they'll probably refund you when you leave the country).

I have been advised against traveler's checks(overly cautious and too much trouble) and been told that ATMs generally work just as well and major credit cards (visa, master card) are generally accepted in most not-street-vendors

quit making these help threads outside the help forum you shlupbutt >:[

Raistlin
03-26-2008, 04:33 AM
The Help Forum is lame outside of technical issues.

I've only been to France. I disliked Paris, but yes, people tip (just not as much).

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 04:33 AM

I live in Europe, Ive been to half of it. Mostly on vacations.

nope, mostly hotels and resorts and such..

no.. not normally, its all in the price. Also.. the tax is already included.

I did, and it was about hmm.. 1000 dollars for a retour ticket(i think, cant remem correctly.. could be more, as i used points for a large portion.)

Trains arent used a lot in Europe, as the distances arent that great. So they thought up a ticket that lets you travel for a certain amount of time, for a certain price.. kinda like a subway ticket on large scale. pretty nifty.

edit: appereantly its also a metro stuff.. ghehe prob didnt translate it right i guess ^^'

France: go near the ocean, or it will be unbearable.. youll need at least basic french skills as they are all lazy and arrogant and will not speak english.
The netherlands: Just awsome :)..
Spain: Its better to either go to the canarian islands or to one of the large islands next to spain, as spain itself is usually crowded in the summer and unbearably hot.
England: You dont need to ask me, go for the english dudes ^__^
Germany: Some good places, but its not a great vacation country.
Austria: Great place, mountains where you can relax. In the summer its not crowded so its just great. You can also go down a stone slide in a cart.. its awsome ^__^
Greece: Mostly go for the touristy places here as everywhere else is just normal towns.. not much to do.

I could tell more, but i dont feel like it. PM me if you really want it :p

Roto13
03-26-2008, 05:33 AM
You know all of those stereotypes about how French people are complete and total jerks? It's just Paris. They don't bathe, either. They just wear a lot of perfume.

Ashi
03-26-2008, 05:45 AM
Can't answer all questions but I'll try to be somewhat informative.

Yes. Went to England and France. We stayed at a hotel each time. Things we did included hitting the shops, walking to nearby parks, feeding the squirrels/ducks/geese/etc, museums and galleries. In London I believe a Salvador Dali gallery is near to London Eye / Big Ben but I can't seem to recall very well (it has been four years and I'm sure I still have my ticket somewhere back home). All I remember of France is DisneyLand and La Tour Eiffel (Is it Le or La? One of my main problems with the language).

Yes. I haven't been eating out in my last few trips, but the person that helped carry my luggage earned himself a decent tip.

Araciel
03-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Tip everywhere you go, whether or not they do it there, we do it.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 05:48 AM
You know all of those stereotypes about how French people are complete and total jerks? It's just Paris. They don't bathe, either. They just wear a lot of perfume.

-_-

im betting you only went to paris?

Ive been in.. lets see.. 16 different places, every place for more then a week.. paris three times..

everywhere they are arrogant jerks.. they even demand that an 8yo orders bread in french even though they are in a freaking tourist resort.

rubah
03-26-2008, 05:59 AM

-_-

im betting you only went to paris?

Ive been in.. lets see.. 16 different places, every place for more then a week.. paris three times..

everywhere they are arrogant jerks.. they even demand that an 8yo orders bread in french even though they are in a freaking tourist resort.
Listen, at the end of june I'll come back and give my report.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 06:09 AM
very well.. who knows.. maybe theyve changed in the last 5 years..

i doubt it though. And of course the fact that they'd be nice to pretty girls :p.. (maybe of course, depends on the level of arrogance xD)

Shlup
03-26-2008, 06:15 AM
quit making these help threads outside the help forum you shlupbutt >:[

I'm not asking for help, just input. There's a difference, Butt Lapah.

Also:
The Help Forum is lame outside of technical issues.

Tip everywhere you go, whether or not they do it there, we do it.

"We" don't do anything of the sort.

rubah
03-26-2008, 06:26 AM
You're using raistlin as an argument?

I thought we had something ;.;

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Who's Raistlin?

(ghehe evil)

Shlup
03-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Retarded though he may be, he... well, he's always retarded, but some of the things he says pass for fact. Sometimes.

Araciel
03-26-2008, 06:48 AM
I tip...you don't tip?

Roto13
03-26-2008, 06:55 AM
Retarded though he may be, he... well, he's always retarded, but some of the things he says pass for fact. Sometimes.

Only by coincidence.

Yamaneko
03-26-2008, 07:02 AM
That's a long ways off.

rubah
03-26-2008, 07:04 AM
I don't think we should see each other anymore. . .

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think we should see each other anymore. . .

so before this you two.. awsomesauce :) *drifts off into dreamworld*

Breine
03-26-2008, 06:46 PM
I live there :p Anyway, I've been almost all over Europe, and if you plan on seeing as much of Europe as possible fairly cheap I'd recommend travelling by "Interrail", even though it's a bit more backpackery.

Yes I have. There are also many cheap hotels in the big cities, that's mostly what I've lived in, but as for hostels there usually isn't a problem with finding one that's good. "Die Jugendherberge", which is what I think it's called, in Berlin is e.g. pretty good and rather cheap.

Yes, of course.

By this I think you mean "Interrail"? It's where you buy one ticket that lasts for a certain amount of time. Within that timeframe you can then travel by train as much as you want for free, and I mean only train.. no busses included. It's a cheap way of travelling (you save more money by travelling with interrail in Western Europe than in Eastern Europe, though.) For more info click here (http://www.interrailnet.com/interrail_home).

If you want culture visit the capitals, but I guess you know that.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Yes, of course.

what part of europe do you come from? :eyebrow:

because about 80% of europe does not do that, as its all incorperated in the price.

And yes, you can tip, but it doesnt go to the waiter/waitress. They make a standard (usually minimum) wage. Any tip you give usually goes towards the restaurant. and its certainly not expected of you to tip.

Breine
03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, of course.

because about 80% of europe does not do that, as its all incorperated in the price.

Well, it varies. I've been to some places where the tip is incorporated in the price, but I've also been to lots of other places where you have to tip after having paid for whatever you've bought. But yeah, if you don't want to tip, don't tip.

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes, of course.

Well, it varies. I've been to some places where the tip is incorporated in the price, but I've also been to lots of other places where you have to tip after having paid for whatever you've bought. But yeah, if you don't want to tip, don't tip.

true.. lets put it like this.. in western europe, you definitely dont have to tip(Britain, Benelux, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, etc)..

eastern europe is a little iffy though, but i dont think youll go there anyway.

scrumpleberry
03-26-2008, 07:56 PM
AK, shut up. Lies. You can't generalise about everyone in France from your small experience of the people there. In my personal experience, the French are alright, they were always perfectly nice to me even when I couldn't be arsed to try to speak french. But that doesn't mean that they're all wonderful people, does it? It's considered good protocol to tip when your service has been good no matter where you are.

Milan has good shopping, disgustingly hot in the summer, polluted and crowded, beautiful, very nice in the winter, gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous buildings and little streets. Also up in the lakes, the towns around there have great shopping - particularly for food - and are simply beautiful. Verbania is wonderful. There are lots of historical castles and things arond the lakes if that interests you.

Munich is very spacious, some lovely architechture. It's clean and there are loads of fantastic touristy places you can go which aren't overly touristy. The zoo is great, and the animals really do have excellent living conditions.

Other places I'm not really in a posi<b></b>tion to give an opinion on as I've not been there enough times/long enough.

But allow me to say about mainland Europe generally: TRAMS FTW. I love them xD

Hope you have fun!

Aerith's Knight
03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Yes.. because ive only been there 8 times.. i must be biased and obviously not relying on my own experience :rolleyes2

"You know the world has gone mad when the best rapper is white, The best golfer is black, the tallest guy in the NBA is chinese, the Swiss hold the America's cup, France accused the US of being arrogant, Germany doesnt want to go to war and the three most powerful men in the US are called Bush, Dick and Colon."

There is a reason why that line is in the rant :p

edit: but i should clarify, In the small towns people are quite nice.. its the tourist places where they get like that.. and sadly, those are the places where you usually go.

scrumpleberry
03-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes.. because ive only been there 8 times.. i must be biased and obviously not relying on my own experience :rolleyes2

You've missed my point completely. Not even if you'd been there a thousand times would it give you a right to generalise on such a massive scale about any one nation. Noone even has the right to say that one thing is true of all the people in their own country.

"All the English have great respect for the royal family."

Perhaps not the most apt example, but I can think of at least 10 people I know who don't fit that bill off the top of my head. To say that the French as a whole are arrogant, and to mean it...that to me is far more arrogant than the examples of their arrogance you've used.

Sorry. Going off on a tangent. Zipping it now :3

fire_of_avalon
03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm gathering information on Europe because my husband and I plan to spend some time there in Summer 2009.

So, queries:

ETA: I'm mostly interested in money-related info and specifics, like where to sleep.
1) No. :(