PDA

View Full Version : Formatting and you!

Baloki
03-27-2008, 10:16 AM
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/80/16/22421680.jpgFormatting and You! - A quick start guide to posting

This guide is specifically aimed at use within the EoEO forums, however it could also be librally applied elsewhere.

Lesson 1 - Spacing

The most important feature of a forum, like the internet, is that it is text based, users have to read your posts (which is usually done at leasure). Notice how I said the phrase, have to read your posts, badly spaced posts are difficult to read, a user reading your post will have no way of measuring how far they have read your post and will quite easily loose track or interest in your story, this is where spacing comes in.

* The use of spaces after full stops - This helps people to know when they can take a quick breather between scentences, without that space or two after the full stop it's quite easy to look over.

* Paragraphs and the enter key - An essay post with no paragraph breaks is very difficult to follow and read, every time your post takes a new direction or your paragraph is looking a bit long, why not give your enter key a few clicks? People will thank you for it.

http://boonscafe.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/ye_shufang_sam2.jpg
Lesson 2 - Fonts and Colours

Another generally issue that comes up regularly is peoples misuse of the font, style and colour options provided when posting. This can cause anger, confusion and users just to ignore your post because you didn't spend a minute thinking before you chose that garish pink, size -50 font.

* Font Colours and Others - Remember, this forum has several skin styles, some are pink, some are brown, some are blue and some are covered in cookies. Your font colour needs to show up and be readable in all of them. If not you could be discomforting alot of people (Except anyone who uses Fluffy Puff style, their already in enough discomfort as it is, a little more won't harm them).

* Font Sizes - A font size isn't just a way of expressing yourself as an individule, however much it should be, it is in fact a way of making the text you post unreadable, setting a font size that is too large could cause people with lower resolution monitors some difficulty reading your posts as they could take up alot of screen space. However setting your font size too small could make people with poorer eyesight or higher resolutions unable to read your posts at all.

http://blog.billauer.com/pics/capslock.jpg
Lesson 3 - Caps Lock

HEY GUYS WHAT'S UP LOL IT'S TIME FOR LESSON 3, WHICH IS ALL ABOUT MY FAVOURITE BUTTON CAPSLOCK. YOU MAY NOT KNOW THIS, BUT CAPS LOCK IS DEFINED AS 'CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL', WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU WANT TO BE COOL ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MAKE SURE YOU HIT THAT CAPS LOCK BUTTON BEFORE ALL YOUR POSTS! BUT IF YOU WANT TO BE SUPER REALLY COOL, USE YOUR PINKY TO HOLD DOWN SHIFT AND - *shot*

Lesson 4 - Using a List

<p>There are many reasons to use the LIST function in your posts.</p>
<ol><li>It's fairly automatic</li>
<li>It plays nicely with people using disabled users access aids</li>
<li>It means you don't have to type up a bunch of stars or numbers in front of your list options.</li></ol>

<hr>

For now I will end the lessons, but as I think of more I might dd to them ^o^

Araciel
03-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Lol.

blackmage_nuke
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Inbeforesomeonepostslikethis.Thisisthesecondscentence

^
^
^
nospacebarafterfullstop55+46

oddler
03-27-2008, 10:32 AM
The tables! We are doomed! :(

KoShiatar
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I thought it was about formatting your computer and was ready to tell about my adventures with that.

Old Manus
03-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Lesson 3 - CAPS LOCK

HEY GUYS WHAT'S UP LOL IT'S TIME FOR LESSON 3, WHICH IS ALL ABOUT MY FAVOURITE BUTTON CAPSLOCK. YOU MAY NOT KNOW THIS, BUT CAPS LOCK IS DEFINED AS 'CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL', WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU WANT TO BE COOL ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS MAKE SURE YOU HIT THAT CAPS LOCK BUTTON BEFORE ALL YOUR POSTS! BUT IF YOU WANT TO BE SUPER REALLY COOL, USE YOUR PINKY TO HOLD DOWN SHIFT AND - *shot*

blackmage_nuke
03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
So can anyone play?

Jessweeee♪
03-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Lesson 3 - CAPS LOCK

YES CAPS LOCK IS THE BEST.

rubah
03-27-2008, 02:45 PM
<p>There are many reasons to use the LIST function in your posts.</p>
<ol><li>It's fairly automatic</li>
<li>It plays nicely with people using disabled users access aids</li>
<li>It means you don't have to type up a bunch of stars or numbers in front of your list options.</li></ol>

KentaRawr!
03-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Notice how I said the phrase, have to read your posts, badly spaced posts are difficult to read, a user reading your post will have no way of measuring how far they have read your post and will quite easily loose track or interest in your story, this is where spacing comes in.

Let's see if anyone can figure out where the error in this sentence is.

Anyway...

*Continues to read*

Tavrobel
03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Notice how I said the phrase, have to read your posts, badly spaced posts are difficult to read, a user reading your post will have no way of measuring how far they have read your post and will quite easily loose track or interest in your story, this is where spacing comes in.

I didn't find it. Am I epic fail?

Also, he didn't separate his thoughts by splitting it up into sentences or semicolons, which reflects the theme of the statement.

Momiji
03-27-2008, 03:42 PM

Anyway...

*Continues to read*

Momiji the expert proofreader strikes again. :kaoyatta:

Tavrobel
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM

I already beat you to it. AND I gave Baloki a new nickname. It will catch on, damnit!

Marshall Banana
03-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Don't forget about strawberry lists. :ichigo:

Momiji
03-27-2008, 04:01 PM

I already beat you to it. AND I gave Baloki a new nickname. It will catch on, damnit!

Meh. I've been switching from window to window, and I forgot to refresh. When I last looked, Kentarou had the last post. Oh well~

KentaRawr!
03-27-2008, 04:39 PM
I actually missed "loose". This is how I'd correct it to be semi-readable:

Notice how I said the phrase; "have to read your posts". Badly spaced posts are difficult to read, and a user reading your post will have no way of measuring how far they have read your post and will quite easily lose track or interest in your story, and this is where spacing comes in.

Everything but "lose" in there is all me. :cool:

Momiji
03-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Whoa, I totally missed those! I was looking for misspelled words, and when I found 'loose' I assumed that was all. In other words, I never read the sentences, just the individual words.

Roto13
03-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't care if people are dumb enough to use a forum style that makes my beautiful font hard to see. :bigsmile:

Flying Mullet
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
CAPS LOCK IS DEFINED AS 'CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL'
xD

Aerith's Knight
03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
Try.. not to be.. annoying.. and.. dont use.. more then.. one.. or two.. double dots.. in a single.. scentence.. , because it can.. really.. get on your.. nerve.

KentaRawr!
03-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Try.. not to be.. annoying.. and.. dont use.. more then.. one.. or two.. double dots.. in a single.. scentence.. , because it can.. really.. get on your.. nerve.

Well... I dunno...

Sometimes I think it's cool to type like this...

Araciel
03-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I thought it was about formatting your computer and was ready to tell about my adventures with that.

lolol yeah i thought so too...imagine my chagrin.

Tavrobel
03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Lesson #5: Don't use big words on the internet, and refrain from sarcasm. Obviously.

Aerith's Knight
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Well... I dunno...

Sometimes I think it's cool to type like this...

yeah.. but thats not more then two a scentece :)

blackmage_nuke
03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
PERIOD
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b326/misc_/fullstop.jpg
Contrary to popular belief it isnt meant to only occur in females once a month.

ljkkjlcm9
03-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Signing Posts:

Yes we all know that signatures were created for a reason. But we also know that people can disable these signatures. In some specialized cases, you can sign each of your posts. But, there must be a good reason to it. Simply for me, you just don't really have a name to go by when you look at my user name. There can be a few other reasons, but you better make sure they're worthwhile before attempting this great feat... and be ready for much ridicule and questioning.

THE JACKEL

rubah
03-27-2008, 10:22 PM

lolol yeah i thought so too...imagine my chagrin.

I've got you covered.