PDA

View Full Version : $$$

Rye
03-29-2008, 06:03 PM
What is your biggest expense at the moment? Do you manage your money well?

Right now, my biggest expense would be my car insurance/gas/gym bills. They're not even bad compared to how must people get it, by far, but I don't make enough money, between work (at TJ Maxx at least, let's see how much I make now that I quit and work at Gamestop!) and tutoring. I only have a little bit left a week to spend on myself and shop. xD

I'm okay at managing money, but money does tend to burn a hole in my pocket. I need to learn to manage it better and save more.

Fuzakeru
03-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Biggest expense we have is our lot rent.

Rent / Car Insurance / Cellphone / Electric / Water and Waste / Gas... etc. The normal stuff.

Sergeant Hartman
03-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Drinking down the pub and playing pool there every week.

Lynx
03-29-2008, 06:13 PM
well my car insurance is kinda high because im a guy and under 21. but besides that me and my friends just bought a van that cost me a nice chunk of change. not too mention it still needs to be registered and insured.

but i do well manageing my money i still will be able to afford a camcorder soon enough.

rubah
03-29-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm a baby and my parents pay my bills xD

Aerith's Knight
03-29-2008, 06:15 PM
my biggest expense is rent and bill.. which are $550 a month.

i used to be a good saver, and managed it well.

then i turned 11, and got a $5000 inheritence..

you can figure how that turned out. Ever since that money ran out ive been working part-time non-stop.

Ouch!
03-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Ever since coming to college, I've spent significantly more money on video games. Given everything I've bought since August of 2007, I've probably spent upwards of $1,500 on video games.

Food is also up there, but my parents pay for food.

Heath
03-29-2008, 06:26 PM
I think my biggest expense is just going out. But that encompasses things like train travel, drinks, food, games of pool and the like. I'm good at managing my money to the extent that I always have at least £150 in my bank account just in case I need it for something. Anything on top of that - unless I'm saving for something - is for whatever I need the money for. I showed some great restraint in January by managing to save up over £700 from wages to buy myself a new PC. Since then I've been a bit more liberal with my money after saving for so long.

Miriel
03-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Gas and food, definitely.

I am not very good at money management, or at least, not as good as I could be. I am a pretty thrifty shopper, but I tend to lose track of things and waste money unnecessarily. Like buying groceries I already have at home, or buying the wrong printer cartridge and losing the recipet (and those cartridges are expensive!). Things like that add up, and by the end of the month, I've spent a hundred or two dollars on things I didn't need or didn't use.

I tend to make impulse decisions when I buy the BIG things and less so with the little things and that gets me into trouble. Especially cause I'll spend like 15 minutes comparing prices on soups, and then spend 2 minutes deciding I need a $400 camera lens. Very bad habit.

Shauna
03-29-2008, 06:27 PM
As of this moment, it's school and things related to school. Namely the prom. It's costing me so much. ;_;

Shoeberto
03-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Food and random crap. I don't drive my own car and I haven't started on my student loans yet (my parents are trying to take care of the interest though, bless 'em) so the money I make from work mostly goes to savings, which is a pretty good place for it tbh.

Madame Adequate
03-29-2008, 06:39 PM
My biggest expense is far and away my student debt, which will be in the region of £15000 when I'm done with my Bachelor's (Nevermind getting a Master's!). However, in terms of day-to-day, I'm fairly good at managing my money. Despite being near the end of the academic year here, I've got around £1700 in the bank. I only know one other person who has a positive bank account figure at college. Of course, last year was when I made the bigger purchases - new PC, a 360, etc. This year has seen no equivalents.

I'm mostly good at saving. I'm lucky, because although I can be fairly easily tempted to buy videogames, they're not massively expensive, at least not compared to costs some people have, like gas, or real bills (instead of the paltry rent I pay).

Breine
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
My biggest expense is probably just going out and buying lots of music/movies/random stuff.

I consider myself to be rather good at managing my money. I always think it over quite a lot before I buy something, but just as anyone else I also sometimes make spontaneous purchases.

Xander
03-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I have to pay for a hotel room twice a week and train trips to london cos my company want me to work there, it's costing me like £500 a month at the mo :/ I dont have to drive my car much now so I saved there, and I live with my parents the rest of the time and their rent isn't very high so I guess it's not too bad.

I spend too much on food in london though, since I pretty much buy my breakfast, lunch and dinner out. I seem to have enough to get buy and still treat myself, but I'm sure as soon as I move into my own place that will change XD

Balzac
03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
My mobile phone bill, it averages out at £50/£100 a month.

Rye
03-29-2008, 07:38 PM

lol wat

You need to change your phone plan!

Zeldy
03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
For me personally it's clothes. I always want more clothes.

For my parents, it's my school, as it's always asking for money. My parents are asked to buy revision guides, past GCSE papers and the leavers dinner ontop of countless other things, when I used to do Duke of Edinburgh it cost about £30 per expedition and we did about 4, AND we had to buy all the outdoor clothing; my parent's went mad when I said I was quitting. The prom also is costing alot, with my dress, my shoes, my jewellery, my bag, the limo.. :p

Balzac
03-29-2008, 07:50 PM

lol wat

You need to change your phone plan!

Not really, I use it a hell of a lot for work. If I have to be honest, it only every now and then gets to be £100 and that depends on whether I use it as a modem or not.

Sergeant Hartman
03-29-2008, 07:51 PM

For my parents, it's my school, as it's always asking for money. My parents are asked to buy revision guides, past GCSE papers and the leavers dinner ontop of countless other things, when I used to do Duke of Edinburgh it cost about £30 per expedition and we did about 4, AND we had to buy all the outdoor clothing; my parent's went mad when I said I was quitting. The prom also is costing alot, with my dress, my shoes, my jewellery, my bag, the limo.. :p
You forgot the huge supply of drink for the after party.

Zeldy
03-29-2008, 07:52 PM

You forgot the huge supply of drink for the after party.

I'm having a before prom gathering that my parents said they will buy bubbly for, but the after party drinks would have to be bought by me :p

Tallulah
03-29-2008, 07:59 PM
My rent is about £260 a month, which isn't too bad with everything included, even council tax, which I'm thinking of paying myself; it has to be much more than £30 a month... :p

I pay so little as there are supposed to be four others paying the same amount.

escobert
03-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Rent or my phone cost me the most. OR flying to chicago :p
I've gotten much better with my money over the last year or so. I used to be horrible with money.

smittenkitten
03-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I usually do really well for savings and money but this month I was very baaaad and bought too much. ^__^ So that's why I've started a savings account, nothing big just £30 a month. :)

Araciel
03-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Limes.

theundeadhero
03-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Girls. I'm serious.

Aerith's Knight
03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Girls. I'm serious.

So it all goes up in candy and rental cars? :D

Araciel
03-29-2008, 11:07 PM
Girls. I'm serious.

So it all goes up in candy and rental vans? :D

fixed.

Blue Harvest
03-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Most of my money goes on food, beer and my phone bill.

Aerith's Knight
03-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Girls. I'm serious.

So it all goes up in candy and rental Busses? :D

fixed.

more fixed

~*~Celes~*~
03-30-2008, 12:00 AM
My biggest expense atm is my trip to England in June. The cheapest ticket I'd found before today was $1,092 but I found a way cheaper one today ('bout $564). Thankfully I have about $878 saved up so far, plus more money that's coming, so when he takes me to the Manchester mall, I can buy some new stuffs :jess: Though, I need to manage as much as I can...I'm not leavin' once I get there ^_^ Thankfully, his parents are gracious enough that they're willing to budget their spendings to help me until I can get a permit to work and whatnot...God knows how long that'll take :cry:

Jess
03-30-2008, 02:57 AM
I owe my parents £360 for a holiday in June. I'll also need around £250 spending money, so that's my biggest expense at the moment.

Other than that, I spend a lot of money on clothes. It's bad! I'm good at saving when there is something worth saving up for, otherwise I'm awful and spend money all the time! :jess:

Peegee
03-30-2008, 02:04 PM
My car, and very soon, just over the cost of my car is my rent.

Speaking of car time to write my mom insurance cheque.