PDA

View Full Version : Do you rent first and buy later or buy right away

darkchrono
03-29-2008, 06:27 PM
How many of you rent games first and then buy them later if you like them. Or do you pretty much just buy things right away based upon what you have heard about the game.

Pretty much the only games I will buy right away are the big name titles. Like Madden, college football game, or a popular rpg or adventure game line.

Roto13
03-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I usually just buy them. I don't like the idea of paying for something for a week or a few days and then paying full price to keep it. :P

Madame Adequate
03-29-2008, 07:14 PM
I used to rent like a motherfucker, but these days I just buy. Though with 360 and PC games I sometimes get demos.

Shoeberto
03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I stopped renting games once I came to the realization of how stupidly expensive it is for such a short time. I'd much rather just wait and buy it used for the same price as a rental, unless it's a game I know I'll really really enjoy.

Xander
03-29-2008, 07:32 PM
You can't rent many games here as far as I'm aware... I always buy them. I read up on a game quite a lot so I usually know if I want it, and I tend to hoard games anyway xD

Breine
03-29-2008, 07:33 PM
It's been years since I last rented a game. I don't even know any place that does that anymore, actually. When buying a game I often read a lot about it (if it's a new series, or just a game that looks interesting) e.g. the previews, reviews and stuff like that. If it's a game from a series that I really like e.g. Final Fantasy or Tekken I just buy the game because I know I'll like it.

Tavrobel
03-29-2008, 10:19 PM
I've rarely rented games, and that must have been many moons ago. Of course, there's not many games I'm willing to go out and buy anyways; limited appeal, and all. Mostly stemming from a general lack of funds.

Araciel
03-29-2008, 10:22 PM
The mom and pop video shop where I used to live would rent them, and if you chose to buy, they'd knock the price of the rental off the purchase price.

<3

Roto13
03-29-2008, 11:14 PM
The mom and pop video shop where I used to live would rent them, and if you chose to buy, they'd knock the price of the rental off the purchase price.

<3

^^ I can get behind this. That's actually a really good idea for all parties involved. Customers get to try before they buy and they most likely get more business for it. I know I'd buy games there exclusively. :P

Araciel
03-29-2008, 11:16 PM
We sure as heck did! Until we moved, which was in 1996. And they since closed up shop anyway.

KoShiatar
03-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Nope, I don't rent games, but I make sure I buy something good before I spend my money. I tend to trust more opinions from people I know like pretty much the same stuff as me than reviews, anyway.

Vermachtnis
03-29-2008, 11:30 PM
I use to rent, but the place I rented from went out of business. Now I just buy.

Alex151
03-30-2008, 12:46 AM
I only rent a game if I know I'm gonna beat it within 5 days and I dont want to own, as FF7 CC I knew id beat it quick but its something I'd want to own.

but the last game I rented I still have, and I have a 100 some dollar fine there so I wont be renting anymore

Markus. D
03-30-2008, 01:01 AM
I'll only hire games I KNOW I won't play for to long... or will beat within that time ^^

Bolivar
03-30-2008, 03:46 AM
It's been years since I last rented a game.

Same, I used to do it every now and then, for novelty games or to try something out.

Nowadays, brand recognition, if it interests me enough, is alone enough to warrant a purchase. I might try something new if I've seen it at a friend's house, or if it interests me I'll check out reviews.

Now having a PS3, especially since the games are so expensive, this gamefly thing interests me, and I might look into it, especially with the no late fee and updatable list thing they got. 20+ bucks a month is alot still, $240+ a year i guess... yeah i don't know...

Nifleheim7
03-30-2008, 04:01 AM
I used to rent a lot (especially in the PS1 era),but not any more.Nowdays there is so much information available that is almost impossible to go wrong.

Citizen Bleys
03-30-2008, 04:14 AM
Renting involves leaving the house. I'll download the demo.

smittenkitten
03-30-2008, 09:31 AM
No I wait a while to see if it does well and if it has good ratings and it's my kind of game then I buy it. :)

ljkkjlcm9
03-30-2008, 09:34 AM
I buy games, when I want them, if I find the price reasonable. I have yet to buy New Super Mario for the DS because it's still over 30 bucks, which is dumb.

I also never sell games. I use to never buy them used too, but now that they're all discs, I don't mind as much. Before with cartridges it was kinda annoying to get other random saved games.

THE JACKEL

Krelian
03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't rent games. I used to get some rented games from an acquaintance who worked at a video store, but it's been years since I last got to try a game like that. So I usually read up on games before I buy them and sometimes I buy them straight away, like Mario games or Final Fantasy games.

In case I don't like the game after all, I'd simply sell it at Ebay.

Mirage
03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I download then buy.