PDA

View Full Version : Gil versus Exp

Skyblade
03-30-2008, 04:20 AM
What do you guys do with your Exp at the end of each level? Do you choose to level up Vincent's stats, or switch it to Gil for weapon upgrades? It seems that to get the high level weapons (especially the Ultima Weapon), you need to convert nearly all of your Exp into money, but I'm interested into how you guys ustilize it through the game.

TheSpoonyBard
03-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I take the EXP until I reach Arch Azul, then spend a while damaging and losing to him. Each time you die you get to take the gil and do the fight over again. When I have enough money I move on and start taking EXP again.

Skyblade
03-30-2008, 03:03 PM
I dislike death too much to use that strategy, but thanks for sharing it.

MKusanagi
03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I must ask, I do not fully understand... does leveling up make your enemies more challenging?? Or just you?

TheSpoonyBard
03-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Levelling up makes Vincent more durable. The enemies are the same regardless of his level.

MKusanagi
03-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Good to hear!

Big D
03-31-2008, 10:32 AM
I prefer to take the EXP. There's usually enough Gil to be found in each level to buy the necessary ammo and potions, and since I tend to play only the Extra Hard mode, I've usually got some Gil or sellable items on hand from previous playthroughs.

MKusanagi
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Same here.

Skyblade
03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
When you play through again you keep your gear and money from the first time? Didn't know that.

I'm guessing you lose your levels though.

Big D
03-31-2008, 02:46 PM
When you play through again you keep your gear and money from the first time? Didn't know that.

I'm guessing you lose your levels though.Yep - you lose your levels, but keep your stuffs. It's great, you can refine all the best equipment and keep it. Ultima Weapon, for example.

MKusanagi
04-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I have yet to find ultima weapon.

Big D
04-01-2008, 11:45 PM
To make Ultima Weapon, you first need the Toy Gun (aka Model Gun) found in Edge. You can modify that into the Silver Gun, then the Gold Gun, and finally the Ultima Weapon. Ultima Weapon's more powerful and accurate than anything else in the game, but the Toy, Silver and Gold guns are useless.

Skyblade
04-04-2008, 12:46 AM
To make Ultima Weapon, you first need the Toy Gun (aka Model Gun) found in Edge. You can modify that into the Silver Gun, then the Gold Gun, and finally the Ultima Weapon. Ultima Weapon's more powerful and accurate than anything else in the game, but the Toy, Silver and Gold guns are useless.

Not true. The Power Hydra's final form, the Gigant Hydra, is more powerful than the Ultima Weapon. It also has a supremely awesome magazine of 1 round (so you don't have to worry about running out of ammo).

Does the item carryover from a completed game only work if the new game is an Extra Hard game?

Big D
04-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Not true. The Power Hydra's final form, the Gigant Hydra, is more powerful than the Ultima Weapon. It also has a supremely awesome magazine of 1 round (so you don't have to worry about running out of ammo).I didn't realise that... what's the succession of upgrades needed to get it? Also, how is a 1 round magazine any use? :p Ultima Weapon lets you spam unholy amounts of death up to 33 times before reloading, since it's a Cerberus-type triple revolver with 99 round magazine capacity. In the 'defend WRO headquarters from the attacking helicopters' mission, you can one or two-shot all the choppers while running around on foot. It's that awesome.
Does the item carryover from a completed game only work if the new game is an Extra Hard game?Yup.

Skyblade
04-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Not true. The Power Hydra's final form, the Gigant Hydra, is more powerful than the Ultima Weapon. It also has a supremely awesome magazine of 1 round (so you don't have to worry about running out of ammo).I didn't realise that... what's the succession of upgrades needed to get it? Also, how is a 1 round magazine any use? :p Ultima Weapon lets you spam unholy amounts of death up to 33 times before reloading, since it's a Cerberus-type triple revolver with 99 round magazine capacity. In the 'defend WRO headquarters from the attacking helicopters' mission, you can one or two-shot all the choppers while running around on foot. It's that awesome.
Does the item carryover from a completed game only work if the new game is an Extra Hard game?Yup.

Hydra -> Hydra II -> Hydra III -> P Hydra -> P Hydra γ -> Gigant Hydra

Impractical as hell, but very, very fun. Since my only two playthroughs thus far have been without spending money on upgrades 'cause I've been trying to get the Ultimate Weapon, I generally have lots of excess money. I grab the Gigant for one level (starting around Shinra Manor), and just have fun with it. That is one of the most fun levels to use it in, as the enemies come generally one at a time or in small groups, and you can just take them out one shot at a time. Copters don't last long either.

Unfortunately, the Gravity Floater is a necessity, as this thing has an insanely high weight, especially when going with the Nova L Barrel (Nova L Barrel and Power Booster on it make it have a flatline on weight in the stat graph). You crawl along very slowly, but you rarely need more than your one shot.

It's a shame it doesn't work on other difficulty levels, 'cause I can't see playing this game without the auto target.

Big D
04-04-2008, 02:05 AM
It's a shame it doesn't work on other difficulty levels, 'cause I can't see playing this game without the auto target.Auto target works on Ex Hard, if I remember right. It's always an option, unless I'm forgetting things... Besides, not using auto target can be kind of fun, too. Not so much if you're using rifles in a non-sniping mode, but for the other guns it's neat. Especially the Ultima Weapon (shameless plug, again) with it's feather-light weight and sublime accuracy - even with the EXP-doubling Lucky S-barrel.
Hmm, I really ought to play this game some more. Seems there's still more stuff to get, and I'm intent on doing a complete play-through in first-person view.

Is there a handy list of how to get the 'ultimate' weapon of each type?

Skyblade
04-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Depends on what you mean by "Ultimate". Both the Hydra and the Cerberus follow the same upgrade path:

Weapon -> Weapon II - > Weapon III

Then you get a choice:

Weapon III -> P Weapon
Weapon III -> M Weapon
Weapon III -> S Weapon

P/M/S Weapon -> P/M/S Weapon γ -> Ultimate Form

The Griffon makes you choose the path split after the Griffon II:

Griffon -> Griffon II

Griffon II -> P/M/S Griffon
P/M/S Griffon -> P/M/S Griffon β -> P/M/S Griffon γ -> Ultimate Form

P stands for Power. Generally low magazine, high strength, heavy weapons.
M is Medium. Well rounded, generally high magazine.
S is Speed. Fast weapons, medium magazine, lightest weight.

The Ultimate Form is named depending on which weapon type and path you choose.

P Cerberus -> Powered Cerberus
M Cerberus -> Quantum Cerberus
S Cerberus -> Zero Cerberus

P Griffon -> Dueling Griffon
M Griffon -> Starry Griffon
S Griffon -> Sonic Griffon

P Hydra -> Gigant Hydra
M Hydra -> Velvet Hydra
S Hydra -> Feather Hydra

The Velvet Hydra is one of my favorite weapons in the game. While it cuts short power from the Gigant, it is far more well rounded in firing rate and weight (you can equip it with the Power Booster and the Nova L Barrel with very little speed reduction). It also carries a 42 round magazine (which fires 1 shot at a time), so forced reloads are few and far between.

Cost for upgrading any weapon from basic to ultimate: 60,000 gil.
Barrels only have one path and cost 48,000 gil to upgrade to final form.
Ultimate Weapon = Cost of 3 weapons and 2 barrels to ultimate form.

As for why Vincent's weapons have this whole "PMS" thing going on, don't ask me.

There are three auto targeting options: Auto Target and Lock, Auto Target, and No Auto Target. I heard that you only have all three options in Normal, Hard only gives you the last two, and you have no auto targeting at all in Extra Hard. If I can get auto targeting, I'll play Extra Hard, but even with max accuracy, I don't like the controls enough to play without it.