PDA

View Full Version : Metroid.

Breine
03-30-2008, 12:16 PM
What's your opinion on the Metroid series?

I've just started playing Metroid Prime after finally having found a used copy of it, and so far I really like it. I regret not getting into the series earlier on, but if I get a Wii some time in the future I'll probably download/buy the older games in the series.

KoShiatar
03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I've tried playing Super Metroid years ago, but it wasn't my thing. I could never find my way back to the space ship after killing the boss. T_T Probably I would appreciate it more now, the Metroid universe is fascinating.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-30-2008, 12:41 PM
The Prime games are generally decent, but I'm kind of glad they form their own self-contained side-story. There's some stupidity in there I'd rather not spill over into the main series.

Dreddz
03-30-2008, 01:27 PM
However much I want to like the whole metroidvania type of games I just cant bear to stick with those games for longer than an hour. So my opinion would be that the Metroid series are generally great games which I for whatever reason cant get into.

Roto13
03-30-2008, 02:06 PM
^^ That's pretty much the way I feel, too. I can appreciate the quality of Metroid (and Castlevania) games, but I'd rather not play them if I can help it. :P

Captain Maxx Power
03-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Can't any of you lot just bite the bullet and say you don't like the game? Seriously, all this diplomatic "o well I can appreciate it's good points"; piffle! Look how easy it is; I don't like the Metroid games. There, done, straight and to the point.

Roto13
03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Because when I say I don't like a game, I usually mean I don't like it because it's an awful game. :bigsmile:

Heath
03-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I really enjoy Metroid games. Not really played any of the Castlevania games beyond the DS versions (which I really enjoyed), so I can't really compare the two. Prime was my first Metroid game, though I've since gone back and completed Super Metroid, Zero Mission, Metroid and Fusion. I think they're really enjoyable and easy to get into games and I rather enjoy the whole ability to explore and get access to new areas once you've got different suit upgrades. And the bosses are usually fun. I love the Ridley boss fights and Kraid's usually a laugh too.

Krelian
03-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I like the Metroid series. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but I enjoyed Super Metroid on SNES and Metroid Prime on Gamecube. However, I had some problems with Metroid Prime 2. I was stuck at some point and the whole game felt so dark all the time, unlike Metroid Prime, which felt much more diversified. That's the reason I haven't tried Prime 3 yet.

In general I like the concept of Metroid and Castlevania games with their focus on exploring new areas gradually.

KentaRawr!
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I've tried playing Super Metroid years ago, but it wasn't my thing. I could never find my way back to the space ship after killing the boss. T_T Probably I would appreciate it more now, the Metroid universe is fascinating.

Something I'd like to throw in is that you can't go back to the space-ship because it blew up.

Markus. D
03-30-2008, 08:14 PM
I love the Metroid Games (I'm yet play a majority of 'em though...)

Such an atmosphere... it's really sublime imo.

Momiji
03-30-2008, 08:16 PM
I like the earlier Metroid games more. However, I like the Prime series less for some reason. The only thing it has over the older ones is pretty graphics, in my opinion.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-30-2008, 08:39 PM

Something I'd like to throw in is that you can't go back to the space-ship because it blew up.She meant Samus's spaceship, not Space Colony Ceres.

Rase
03-30-2008, 08:39 PM
The Prime games are generally decent, but I'm kind of glad they form their own self-contained side-story. There's some stupidity in there I'd rather not spill over into the main series.
Pretty much.

ljkkjlcm9
03-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I enjoy all the Metroid games.

And was it Dreddz that said he can't stand to play the game for more than an hour? Well that's pretty nice, because it turns out a few of them can be beaten in less than an hour. In fact, none of the 2-d ones take more than 10 hours, and that's exploring and trying to find everything. After you know where everything is, you can do it in like 1 to 2 hours.

The Metroid Prime games are huge though, and take a bit longer. I enjoy the fact that they made it first person, yet it still feels like more of an exploration game, and not as much of a first person shooter. And Metroid Prime 3 was the most enjoyable, if only for the controls.(could do without the voice acting)

THE JACKEL

Lynx
03-30-2008, 08:56 PM
I enjoy all the Metroid games.

And was it Dreddz that said he can't stand to play the game for more than an hour? Well that's pretty nice, because it turns out a few of them can be beaten in less than an hour.

metroids games are becomeing famous for there speed runs. so far in super metroid i can get 100% in 1:08.

but anyways i love the metroid series. i still need to get a wii and play the newest one which ill do soon enough. but metroid stands as one of my top 5 favorite video game series.

Shoeberto
03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
The only game in the series I've found myself disappointed in thus far has been Fusion, which really stuck you on the rails too much. I loved the first Prime game, though - the second didn't do it as much for me, mostly because of the annoying dark world. I really want to get the third sometime, it looks gorgeous.

Araciel
03-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Metroid and Super Metroid ruled. I don't know about the rest.

KentaRawr!
03-31-2008, 04:28 PM
I hope that in the next Metroid game they make, if it's 3D, they look at the first Metroid Prime the most rather than the other 3D games. The first Prime game felt most like a Metroid game, and in the 3rd, it was vastly different from the rest of the series, even if a great game.

Flying Mullet
03-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Metroid and Super Metroid ruled. I don't know about the rest.

edczxcvbnm
03-31-2008, 04:36 PM
I really like Metroid Prime but there was one thing that was lacking in that game from making it super awesome...Speed. The game is slow moving. By the end of the game, if I want to back track and explore, then I expect to be able to blast through areas at crazy speeds and just explode other enemies due to my speed.

I always felt that no metroid game outside of super metroid got that right. Being able to move fast and keep moving through areas you have already been through fast helps to mitigate the drudgery of backtracking. It is something that I think has always helped Super Metroid to be the perfect example of how to make one of these games. No other metroid game or castlevania game has matched it yet.

Having said that Prime 2 was okay...maybe and I have no desire to play prime 3. I am still waiting for a metroid 5 where they do things right. Make speed a primary focus. I want to be able to run out the gate and get the speed boost to help make me run faster. Metroid 4 had the speed boost but I felt it was poorly implemented and lacked the aspect of SPEED XD

Oh yeah...Metroid 2 was cool also but due to the level design, speed is an impossibility...plus it gave us spiderball which was poorly implemented in Metroid Prime. Ball tracks...give me a break!

Necronopticous
03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
I love the series to death, but there are installments in both the 2D and 3D variety that I didn't think were special.

The original is terrible. Fusion was a bad idea. Echoes was boring and uninspired, and I don't even really like thinking about Hunters.

The real gems are Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and the first Prime. Nearly perfect games that I love with all my heart, and consider to be among the greatest video games ever made.

Unfortunately I have not yet been able to try out Corruption, due to not having a Wii. Soon, though.

Skyblade
03-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Actually, I found Fusion to be much better than Zero Mission. It was way too linear, but it was still a great game. Zero Mission just felt a bit off to me. Oddly, it's one of the few games that I can't pinpoint why it feels wrong, but I didn't like it as much as Fusion or Super Metroid.

Super Metroid was a great game. It's a shame it never got rereleased on the GBA, I would love a handheld version.

In the Prime series, the first was the best, and Corruption was nice. Echoes was easily the worst. The ammo system was a badly constructed mess, and the poisonous world was mostly just an annoyance. Some of the levels were nice, but I found a lot of the later ones annoying.

Roto13
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Maybe I should try Fusion. The whole Linear aspect might work for me. :P

Nominus Experse
03-31-2008, 08:41 PM
I absolutely adore the Metroid series.

Super Metroid was the first game that I made a speed run at, for, well, some particular reasons.

I thought that the new direction Retro Studios took the series was, overall, very well executed. Echoes was the weakest of the trilogy, but even then, the worst game was still enjoyable enough to play through multiple times.

I never played Fusion, so I cannot comment on that game.

Shoeberto
04-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I thought that the new direction Retro Studios took the series was, overall, very well executed. Echoes was the weakest of the trilogy, but even then, the worst game was still enjoyable enough to play through multiple times.
Definitely. It makes me excited to think about what they can do now that they're going to move on to their own franchise.

Breine
04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Definitely. It makes me excited to think about what they can do now that they're going to move on to their own franchise.

Yeah, definitely. Gonna be exciting.

Heath
04-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Actually, I found Fusion to be much better than Zero Mission. It was way too linear, but it was still a great game. Zero Mission just felt a bit off to me. Oddly, it's one of the few games that I can't pinpoint why it feels wrong, but I didn't like it as much as Fusion or Super Metroid.

I always thought that Fusion was the one that felt a bit off and that Zero Mission was much more in the spirit of Super Metroid and the others. I mean, naturally the bit at the end when Samus loses her suit was unexpected and seemed a bit of a departure from what I was used to, but I felt that the more linear nature of Fusion made it seem a bit off. I still think they're both good games, but Zero Mission is so much more so in my opinion.

KoShiatar
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM

Something I'd like to throw in is that you can't go back to the space-ship because it blew up.
Yeah, whatever it was... I don't remember now, it's been years. All I knew is that you had to get back to a certain point and you had a time limit and I could never do that.