PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 2 - worth it?

demondude
03-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Should I buy Diablo 2?

Is the single player good?

How long is it?

Is the combat fun?

Are there many items?

Is the world large with lots of explorable area?

How deep is combat development on your character?

Are there many sidequests?

Tavrobel
03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Yes.

Yes. With mods, it's even better.

Depends on your luck. Items and monsters distribution is a fair factor. It is not able to be done in one sitting, especially with only a first-timer and untwinked gear.

Hack n' Slash. Your call.

45 Mules worth.

Random maps. So, yes.

Depends. Some are click and kill. Some are Shift+click and kill. Some are click, Shift, click, hotkey, click, kill.

No. Item management and realm events are more like post-game events, rather than side-quests in and of itself.

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2008, 01:30 AM
I was hooked on D2 for a couple of years, but I can't bring myself to play very long anymore.

Of course, I have FFXI and Dynasty Warriors: Gundam now.

Captain Maxx Power
03-31-2008, 01:57 AM
If you don't have an issue with losing a lot of your spare time then yes, I would recommend it.

Nominus Experse
03-31-2008, 08:16 AM
Yes; play it. Though, the bots will soon drive you mad.

Install either Median 2008 or Eastern Sun once classic Diablo II bores you.

Madame Adequate
03-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Do you like doing anything except play a videogame with your time?

If y: Don't buy.

If n: Do buy.

Flying Mullet
03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Yes; play it. Though, the bots will soon drive you mad.

Install either Median 2008 or Eastern Sun once classic Diablo II bores you.

Bolivar
04-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Go for it. It's probably so cheap, hell you could easily download it, it's worth at least checking out. Highly addictive.

Laddy
04-01-2008, 01:46 AM
I haven't played it. But it is highly acclaimed, give it a shot.

Baldur's Gate is better.

Realm25
04-01-2008, 12:46 PM
you're about 8 years late, and the online community is dying, and nothing like it used to be. Having said that, it's still a huge game that'll take many hours of your time. It's fun.

Markus. D
04-01-2008, 08:13 PM
that and there's Median D:!

Can't forget that... Median FTW!

Nominus Experse
04-01-2008, 08:22 PM
you're about 8 years late, and the online community is dying, and nothing like it used to be. Having said that, it's still a huge game that'll take many hours of your time. It's fun.
The online community is literally dead. The only possible method of enjoying the game with others is to join a forum and meet people and play with them that way. Diabloii.net is a good place to begin.

Once you install a mod, join their respective forum and meet with people this way. To be perfectly honest, I've found more enjoyment from the mods than the Vanilla Diablo itself.

If you do otherwise, you run the terrible risk of being placed under any range of immature crap.

And the bots. I think the majority of players are simply bots now.

Tavrobel
04-01-2008, 10:30 PM
If you do otherwise, you run the terrible risk of being placed under any range of immature crap.

And the bots. I think the majority of players are simply bots now.

Anyone who's played any other Blizzard game should already have a high tolerance level for that.

Incorrect. The majority of players are Level 98/99 Hammerdin Bots. Big difference. Of course, for anyone who has played Diablo II online long enough will come to appreciate that there is now no severe shortage of Hell Baal runs.

Realm25
04-02-2008, 06:09 AM
Also, if you plan on doing any PK, you have to have mods and hacks for it now. I dunno anybody anymore that do legit duels.

Diablo 2 is a game I'll always have a fondness for, and it saddens me to think about how far from grace it has fallen over the years.

Araciel
04-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Buy it.

Markus. D
04-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Also, if you plan on doing any PK, you have to have mods and hacks for it now. I dunno anybody anymore that do legit duels.

Diablo 2 is a game I'll always have a fondness for, and it saddens me to think about how far from grace it has fallen over the years.

Please try it again! :D!

Lookee! Median 2008 - Diablo 2 Mods by Brother Laz (http://modsbylaz.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/)

I stopped playing it because I new update from Vista disallows me to be able to partake in such glorious things ._.

demondude
04-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Online community seems fine to me. :/
There should be another EOFF-diablo clan thread.

Tavrobel
04-06-2008, 12:13 AM
You mean a second Tavrobel LiveJournal?

I emphatically agree.

Markus. D
04-06-2008, 01:46 AM
I shotty not making the thread again D:!...

demondude
04-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I have found loads of people online wanting to pvp If I was a higher level then I would be rolling in hostilities.
I also want to point out that I have seen like two amazons in my five hours of online playing are they rubbish or something?

Markus. D
04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Bullocks no!

My Amazong (unequipped with only a most basic Javalin...) Deals over 256k damage with various skills at level 1... (Like Enfilade xD! annnnnd other non Vanilla Diablo skills...).

I'd say Bowazon from Van Diablo is actually quite overwhelming... I suppose you don't see many because... ._. Hammerdin are better?

Nominus Experse
04-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Amazons seem to only come in the flavour of Javazons due to the ridiculous lightning spell at their disposal. Strafezons are quite fun, but if you happen to have a Hellfire Torch, than the Amazon basically, well... it makes Blizzard's servers hate you and everyone else in the current game so much that it simply ends it.

So basically everyone who plays an Amazon ends up as a Javazon, which is actually quite dull and unoriginal.

The more interesting builds rely completely on equipment (although many other builds rely on equipment) and are still not as effective as the cheaper alternatives.

Or you could play an Amazon that wields a Wand as her weapon like me, which was ridiculous but amusing.

CimminyCricket
04-07-2008, 05:20 AM
I miss playing this with you guys. ;_;

Markus. D
04-07-2008, 06:54 AM
I miss playing this with you guys. ;_;

So where the blimey kewl are you :3?

CimminyCricket
04-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Playin' WoW. D:

Khaotic
04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
WoW is a terrible game.

Tavrobel
04-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Amazons seem to only come in the flavour of Javazons due to the ridiculous lightning spell at their disposal. Strafezons are quite fun, but if you happen to have a Hellfire Torch, than the Amazon basically, well... it makes Blizzard's servers hate you and everyone else in the current game so much that it simply ends it.

The more interesting builds rely completely on equipment (although many other builds rely on equipment) and are still not as effective as the cheaper alternatives.

Additionally, Javazons that use their lightning skills benefit from all aspects of the Infinity runeword (-res, -physical defense), have great AoE, and effortless DPS (eth Titan's), assuming your Torch doesn't drop you. You Shift+Click in a direction, and everything in about a 270 degree arc in front of is dead. How is it 270 degrees? Well, if you play a Javazon, you'd find out.

But these builds are deathly expensive, and often not worth the effort. One of the great tragedies of Diablo II was patch 1.10, which increased Hell difficulty, and introduced Synergies. Great in theory, but in practice, it only reinforced the already strong skills. However, it did lead to the use of Hammers (which are overpowered and imba).

Who else can forget the ballad of the Citrus fruits?

LunarWeaver
04-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Use a martial arts Assassin like a real man.

demondude
04-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Hammerdins are the best class by far.
I also like javazons.

KoShiatar
04-10-2008, 08:47 PM
I have an undying love for Sorceresses, even though they just can't go through Hell alone.

demondude
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
If you a a melee-sorceress with maxed out energy shield it might not be too hard.

KoShiatar
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't know, I think if such a build worked at all it would be popular by now.

Tavrobel
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't know, I think if such a build worked at all it would be popular by now.

An Enchantress melee Sorceress is preferable to maxed Energy Shield. 3000 Fire damage per swipe is nothing to scoff at. With Lifesteal, adequate equipment, and a reasonable knowledge of Teleport, the Enchantress is capable of soloing Hell mode in Hardcore. Energy Shield relies too heavily on mana, which is more or less always kept at the minimum in favor of Vitality.

demondude
04-11-2008, 05:55 PM
All the guides say that you don't need to upgrade energy because there are items that give you mana, but I can't find any?

Tavrobel
04-11-2008, 06:07 PM
All the guides say that you don't need to upgrade energy because there are items that give you mana, but I can't find any?

Amulets and Rings are sources of free Mana/Energy, with no requirements other than level. Single-player and Multi-player play slightly differently, due to the item economy. For example, it might take you quite some time to find, say, a Shako, when there are plenty to go around in Multi-player; they go for a Pul rune. Uniques often give large amounts of Energy and Mana; e.g., Shako gives Mana and Life based on Character Level. Runewords, which are slightly more in the player's ability to create also provide what is desperately needed. Insight, Ral Tir Tal Sol on a 4Os Polearm gives the Meditation Aura on a Mercenary, which is near instant mana regeneration (Ladder only, iirc). For the melee character, there's always Manaleech (not that most of those skills are incredibly Mana intensive in the first place).

I'm assuming you still haven't made the shift from Single to Multi-player yet. In which case, you're going to have a hell of a time keeping your mana up, aside from Potions.

Nominus Experse
04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
A Meteor/Enchantress using Energy Shield can solo Uber Tristram, so they can be a very formidable force indeed. I mean, fuck, nearing the 70k to 80k consistent damage output is something to be feared in Vanilla Diablo.

If you don't want to deal with the terrible online environment, download PlugY and you will be able to still perform and experience much of what the server-only environment entails. However, there are still some definite differences that have yet - and most likely never will be fully - addressed.

Flying Mullet
04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
I love how any thread related to D2 degrades into a build discussion.

Nominus Experse
04-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Items and possible builds are nigh the only reason why people continue playing the game, so I suppose it makes sense.

However, you do make a point in that it does seem terribly inevitable. And perhaps, a little sad, too.

Tavrobel
04-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I love how any thread related to D2 degrades into a build discussion.

NO U IS STORY OF TEH ORANGE CITRUS FRUITZ

Not much to discuss after eight years. Unless you feel like talking about how knowledgeable we are.

Nominus Experse
04-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Or, perhaps, how knowledgeable we think we are...