PDA

View Full Version : Ironical prejudism is addicting!

Big D
03-31-2008, 12:22 PM
Which abuses of the English language really grate on your nerves?

There are three in the thread title that make me cringe a little every time I see them on the internet.

Addictive, people! 'Addicting' doesn't make sense, and it isn't a word:p

Madame Adequate
03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Man, I totally, totally feel your pain. The word addicting annoys the hell out of me.

And then I found that it actually is a word :(

I try not to be nazified when it comes to language anymore though. I mean yeah, rules are there to facilitate communication, but 1) as long as communication is successful, that's good enough and 2) if the rules were adhered to as rigidly as some would like, language would never evolve.

Can't stand when Brits call a TV show's season a series. And use the same word the same way Americans do as well. People! There are two different words for two different things! USE THEM!

Heath
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Like.

I'm sure I'm guilty of it, but it does annoy me when people substitute the word say for the word 'like.' You know, they're all like "I don't care for your grammar rules." As for rather more specific ones, I can't really think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's at least one abuse in this post that'll annoy someone.

Rantz
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
Every little fault I see prickles my mind a little, but I rarely point it out to people anymore. There are a few in this thread already, though :)

Big D
03-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Man, I totally, totally feel your pain. The word addicting annoys the hell out of me.

And then I found that it actually is a word :(Not according to my Oxford English Dictionary it ain't :nerdy:
I realise you're most likely right, but until the OED tells me otherwise I'll just keep pretending there's no such thing as 'addicting'.

I know a guy who incessantly uses 'least' instead of 'lest'. As in, 'lest we forget'. Even when I told him it was wrong, and just how wrong it was. He insists that the word has changed over time, when it hasn't. Ignorance is no excuse for hurting a defenseless word like that.

Elly
03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
should of, would of, & could of; those in particullar get on my nerves especialy when ppl use them and then claim to be college students or graduates, yeah right... it's could've, should've, & would've or the words they are conjunctions of, being; could have, should have, & would have, also acceptable are the slang variants of coulda, shoulda, & woulda...
another one is irregardless, putting "ir" at the begining of "regardless" cancels out the "less" at the end of "regard" and then makes it where you should have said "in regard" or "regarding" instead, thus becoming the opposite of what was originaly intended to be said, besides irregardless isn't even a word it's not even slang...

Flying Mullet
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Lately I've been annoyed with the word "got" and never realized how much I use it. It seems to be a generic, uneducated replacement when you can't think of the proper word that should be used.

"I can't believe you got that." -> "I can't believe you <i>bought</i> that."
"I've got a cold." -> "I've <i>caught</i> a cold."
*phone's ringing* "I've got it!" -> "<i>I'll get</i> it."
"Have you got five dollars?" -> "<i>Do you have</i> five dollars?"

Madame Adequate
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM

And then I found that it actually is a word :(Not according to my Oxford English Dictionary it ain't :nerdy:
I realise you're most likely right, but until the OED tells me otherwise I'll just keep pretending there's no such thing as 'addicting'.

I just checked and we're both wrong, apparently. Addictive is the quality of a thing to cause addiction, addicting is the capacity of a person to become addicted. That is to say, drugs are addictive, the user is addicting.

Big D
03-31-2008, 02:08 PM

I just checked and we're both wrong, apparently. Addictive is the quality of a thing to cause addiction, addicting is the capacity of a person to become addicted. That is to say, drugs are addictive, the user is addicting.Well then, we slightly win - since everyone's being doing it wrong by using 'addicting' as a synonym for 'addictive'.

Peegee
03-31-2008, 02:16 PM
misspellings of common words, usually.

I play world of warcraft and everybody keeps spelling exalted Exhaulted

Balzac
03-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Addicting really annoys me. Only seems to be Americans that use it. And they use it wrong. Oh and using 'of' instead of 'have'.

Bahamut2000X
03-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow I was thinking and complaining about this very thing last night at work for some reason. Of course all my co-workers were too dumb to even know what irony was, let alone that they all used it wrong. Which was what I was complaining against. Oh that and puns were stupid and should be destroyed.

Jessweeee♪
03-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Not using your/you're or there/their/they're or its/it's correctly xD

Other things like leaving the be of because don't bother me if done a certain way. I type "'cause" sometimes 'cause that's how I talk n.n

...mostly just punctuation :p

Jess
03-31-2008, 02:49 PM
should of, would of, & could of.
Im guilty of this! :jess:

fire_of_avalon
03-31-2008, 03:03 PM
I love that I've put myself in a situation (by choice, mind you) in which grammar is totally important and I totally don't give a crap or have any pet peeves.

Jessweeee♪
03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
OMG xD

I hate it so much when my friends point out how much we say "like."

We say it waaay too much, and while we talk about how much we say like, we say like. It's like:

OMG we say like waaay too much, we must have said it, like, DAMNIT!!!!! ANYWAY like, "...."

EIGHTY TIMES.