PDA

View Full Version : Drakengard (spoilers likely for thoes who havent played it)

dragontamer
04-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Sorry admins, or whoever has to deal with this, i know that there is two of the same thread, so i appologies, please delete the other one, as i can't find a 'delete' option on threads!

I got this a while ago, and got for of the five endings yesterday, and it was great!! I had thought that DGD2 was amazing, but now that i've played the first, i've revised that opinion. But there are still a few things that i don't understand.

leonard- 'this battle is my fault, forgive me.'
angelus- 'pitying your beters would be a habit humans would do well to unlearn.'
Leonard's Regret, (after the second airial mission)
Angelus- 'The seeds never were, and mankind remains unforgiven.

What does Angelus mean with these two coments?

What happens to Inuart and Furiae in the verse 'Paradise' chpt 10-11, when they dissapear into the flash of light?

How do you pronounce Manah and Seere? Mau-nah (DGD1) or Man-ah (DGD2), See-ree (DGD1) Seer

In the trailer and in the endings, there are letters and coments, i've written about half of them down, and i'm trying to tell if there is any hidden meaning in them, even though the're probably isnt, i'm enjoying just thinking about what it is trying to say:

D - The unsurpassed soul
lets flow oceans of blood.

A - the watchers
drink and praise the basin of fire.

G - Mighty generals
hessitate under crimson skies

O - As the tears of the godess
-----------------
the coming of the queen

N - The dragon plumets
from the tower of red thunder
--------------- ( --- are where i havent got the words yet)
( from opening trailer, were they trying to spell DrAGON? Missed the 'R')

ENDINGS

A - The anguish of an unsmiling watcher.
a soul sealed

B - Flowers for the broken spirit.
godesses

C - A companion's eternal farewell.
Light

D - The wild dreams of a deluded child
Seere's solace

Could someone please tell me what the words are for the las ending and what it is called please, i havent found the 65 wepons yet!!! I hope the red letter isnt E! what kind of warped irony would that be?!

Thanks in advance!!!

Markus. D
04-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Fraid I'm yet to figure the subliminal messages...

As for the last ending, KEEP COLLECTING! :D!

CimminyCricket
04-08-2008, 04:21 AM
This game rules.

Alucard von Elru
04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Considering that the endings are simply cleverly-labelled as endings A, B, C, and so on, there is absolutely no "irony" there. They simply thought of more interesting things to put on screen as opposed to "Congratulations, you got Ending A!" :P

And on that note, the first Drakengard is hot. The story and overall structure of the game are absolutely deliciously smurfed up. I've gone into very long-winded statements on why I feel that the game's "flaws" (wonky mission structure, repetitive, often frustrating nature, distorted/butchered symphonic score) are very much intentional (for furthering the sense of all-consuming chaos that encompasses every single aspect of the game), but I understand that I am in a vast, vast minority in liking the game; not to speak anything of whether or not anybody agrees that everything was intentional.

And dragontamer, I strongly urge you to do whatever is necessary (hint: a FAQ helps) to get all of the weapons, as the final chapter in Drakengard is among the most warped, shocking, and incredible moments in gaming history (at least, for me it was). There is so much symbolism to its final moments, and everything was perfect. Everything fiiinally made so much sense, and at the same time it felt like the game had just played me for a fool. I wouldn't mind sharing my views on it after you've seen it, but currently I'm not even going to put them in spoiler tags, because I feel that's a temptation that you don't need.

I like Drakengard 2 a fair bit, but it's hard to explain... the first was this grand, chaotic mess of a game... in the most general definitions of what makes a game "good", Drakengard could be quite abrasive and it could be said that it isn't necessarily indicative of "good" game design. In this sense, the sequel is a better pure game. It's a hack-and-slasher, and a perfectly competent one at that. But to me, the first game was so much more than a hack-and-slasher, or even a hybrid of elements. It was messy, it was chaotic, it was frustrating, but it was also equal parts beautiful and terrifying. I don't think there's been a horror game to freak me out more than Drakengard did, and it's generally not considered as having anything to do with the genre. But every single thing about the game, from the music to the battlefields to the babies, unsettled me in ways I can't quite express.

At any rate, I think Drakengard is a better game than most would give it credit for, although it's never surprised me that it is pretty hated. Again, the whole theme of the game is CHAOS, and every aspect of its design reflects this. This makes it a very, very challenging game to like. I have to wonder, though, when speaking on challenging design principles... why was Killer7 so much more critically accepted than Drakengard, when in many ways they share some similarly challenging design choices?

*ahem* Er, yeah. Now go get those weapons! If you end up needing help with the game's FINAL boss, I discovered a VERY easy way to win (after I had died some 20 times in a row).

"Look within the dark, as deep as you dare..."

For the record, I share your sentiments of uncovering the game's hidden messages. Everything in the intro bares relevance when you think about it, and the ending names are clever ways to say "Ending A", but at the same time they mean something within the context of the ending that preceded it. I greatly enjoyed running around certain levels and reading the messages scrawled all over the floors and walls.

Markus. D
04-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh far to true.

Drakengard is a game that will ALWAYS be in my top favorite of all times strictly based on it's corrupt, trauma-inducing storyline.

I also loved the "Distorted/Butchered Symphonic Score" xD! No other game has done that... so it was a pleasure (a majority of it for me anyway... a couple of them just bug me :\) (I'd pay any amount of money to see it turned pure orchestral).