PDA

View Full Version : A Wii/Smash Brothers Brawl problem...

White Raven
04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
I recently attempted to play a couple of matches of Super Smash Brothers Brawl on my Wii this morning.

I did a couple of Target Smash matches, and then the game froze and gave the error message "The Game Disc could not be read. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information." I shrugged it off, and thought that it was a minor glitch and all was well still. Unfortunately it is not. Every time I attempt to play it, at some point when I'm going through all the windows the same thing happens. I keep my games in near-mint condition but I carefully cleaned it anyways. No luck. I tried Twilight Princess and it worked perfectly. On the Nintendo Help website for this problem it gives me the following explanation:"Super Smash Bros. Brawl utilizes a double-layer disc which has a large memory capacity. A very small percentage of Wii consoles may have trouble consistently reading data off this large capacity disc if there is some contamination on the lens of the disc drive. Nintendo has specialized cleaning equipment that can resolve this problem. (Please do NOT attempt to clean the lens yourself, as you may damage the system.)"

I really don't feel like sending it in, and was hoping that anyone had a quick easy solution? Worst comes to worse I will, but I'm in Canada, and I know that will just up the cost...

(I hate being a small percentage :()

Roto13
04-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I think the cleaning is free. It was in Japan, at least.

JKTrix
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
It is free, at least for now. I'd say take advantage for now, though you will be without a Wii for a bit.

You could try blowing in the system (since an early claim is that it's caused by dust/smoke), like we used to do in the old days.

Samuraid
04-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Whatever you do, be careful with it and down open it in any way as to void the warranty. Assuming the cleaning is free as stated here, you should consider that as the safest option.

White Raven
04-07-2008, 10:33 PM
In an interesting turn of events... feeling sad of not being able to play Brawl, I instead played a couple of hours of Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Worked perfectly fine, and I thought I'd try Brawl once more. And to my surprise it worked perfectly fine, and I've played it a couple of more times since then. Thanks for your input tho, and I hope helps others that might have the problem.

:)

KentaRawr!
04-08-2008, 04:49 AM
The reason other Wii games work so well is likely because the Brawl disc is DVD-9. Or at least, that's what I've heard. It's a very large disc in comparison to other Wii Games, and apparently has higher requirements of clean-ness. As to why Brawl works just fine now, I don't know. Maybe the spinning disc ruffled around some dust the right way or something. :o