PDA

View Full Version : Stat Maxing

BG-57
04-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Have you ever seriously tried to max your character's stats?

I'm not talking about raising to maximum levels (99 or 100 usually). I'm referring to raising the character's stats through some approved or illicit method.

Some of the ways I recall are:

FFVI: Equipping Espers for level-up bonuses.
FFVII: Morphing or winning items that boost a stat by +1.
FFVIII: Devour, equipping a GF with a stat level-up bonus (like Jumbo Cactaur), and refining items that add +1 to a stat.
FFX: Maxing out the Sphere Grid.
FFT: Level Up/Level down in different jobs using Degenerator traps.

I certainly tried with FFVI but once the characters reached 99, there was nothing left to do, short of using a hack. I also did some halfhearted attempts in both FFVII and FFVIII. But I eventually gave up because I realized that there was no opponent so challenging that maxing stats was really necessary.

Bottom line, it wasn't cost-effective for me.

rubah
04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
I got some pretty crazy stats in ff8 and ffx xD

Heath
04-02-2008, 01:22 AM
I made attempts in both VIII and X but got pretty bored with that idea pretty quickly when it became clear that either I simply couldn't be bothered with maxing the stats or that there simply wasn't a need for it. Otherwise, I've never bothered with the others.

ljkkjlcm9
04-02-2008, 01:25 AM
I definitely maxed my stats in VIII. It was really easy. The best part was only taking like 1 damage from basically everything

THE JACKEL

Clawsze
04-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Bottom line, it wasn't cost-effective for me.

QFT

Tavrobel
04-02-2008, 02:55 AM
FFVI: I was on my way to do so until my emulators got wiped from the computer.
FFVII: Only accomplished the Defense and Luck Boosts.
FFX: Done, completed. One file with Luck in lieu of Eva/Acc. MP and HP aren't necessary.

Anno Domini
04-02-2008, 03:29 AM
in all the games i own i try to max out. is just what i do :-]

OneWingd
04-14-2008, 11:10 PM
I think the best stat maxing method is in FFIX, it involves not going up a single level until you own all the best weapons, armours, etc which increase stats as you level up. Search youtube: FFIX Perfect game

Captain Maxx Power
04-15-2008, 12:49 AM

Same. I've also gone out of my way to get max stats in FF3, FF4, FF5 (well, the max you can get from mastering jobs) and FF7 to an extent. Stat maxing is a bit of an artificial way to extend the life of a game, and there's very few games where it's even necessary (FF10 being the only one I would say for the sub-bosses). There's definately a real sense of satisfaction to be had from staring at your stat screens covered in 99/255's.

Nominus Experse
04-15-2008, 12:58 AM
I try reconciling the amount of time I've spent on these two games by noting that I am a god among insects in these two games.

But then I realize that I stat-boosted (AKA, wasted my life) on video games that are incredibly easy, and such maxing means absolutely nothing more than a useless, large number.

Hello failure me, how are you this day?

Roto13
04-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Totally meaningless most of the time.

Roogle
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I do not max statistics in any role-playing game. Occasionally, when I replay a game, I will use a game enhancement device to give myself an unlimited number of statistic raising items to distribute them in various ways.

Nifleheim7
04-16-2008, 01:46 AM
I maxed out my stats in FFX twice.:p
(First time was on someone else's memory card).

Blue Harvest
04-17-2008, 02:57 PM
I maxed out my stats on FFX once, but I cheated ;_;

Takara
04-17-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't have the attention span to max out my stats, so I never did it. Maybe I'll do it, someday, when I'm extremely bored.

Blue Harvest
04-18-2008, 08:03 AM
FFX cheat disc + autofire controller = maxed out sphere grid with no effort whatsoever on the part of the player :D

PeneloRatsbane
04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
the highest i have got a character (w/o cheat discs) is about
87-Fran on FFXII

i think i got cloud, yuffie and Vincent pretty high as well

SeeDRankLou
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
FFVIII: I used the trick of not leveling up until I got the stat bonus junctions, and then leveled everyone up like that. I maxed everyone's stats with junctions, I didn't really feel like doing it for real. Maybe I will one day.

FFX: I have maxed the sphere grid. I did the trick in the Omega Ruins to open all 12 chests to get the 99 Warp Spheres, which made it rather easy.

Kingdom Hearts: It takes a while, but I have maxed Sora's stats in Kingdom Hearts. You just have to collect enough items and have the moogles make stat raising items. To have the maximum MP possible you have to choose the staff at the beginning and be wearing 3 Atlas Armlets. Gravija ftw. I have yet to max Donald or Goofy's stats.

FFIX: I am in the process of "maxing" stats in a perfect game here. I say "maxing" because it's not really possible to max stats in this game. You can max a stat, but to max one you kind of have to give up on others. With the exception of Zidane's speed stat, the only stat that any character can max in the first place is spirit, which maxes at 50, so everyone is maxing spirit and getting as large a stat as possible in the other stat they use the most. This is a detriment to some characters, like Quina who starts with a measly 11 Spirit. But for other characters it's not so bad, like Steiner, who can max his spirit and come one point shy of the maximum strength he can possibly have.

Slothy
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I've gotten some higher than necessary stats in some games, but since most FF's get easy long before you max your stats I've never bothered. I don't get any enjoyment from spending a lot of time and effort doing something with absolutely no payoff except for the fact that I could say I did it and show how much time I have on my hands. I'd rather beat games, sidequests and optional bosses at lower levels and feel bad ass because I survived when I probably shouldn't.

mose-schrute
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
I always think to myself "OKAY, OKAY. I'M GOING TO DO IT THIS TIME. I'M GOING TO MAX OUT THEIR STATS" and then I go on to do it for about 5 minutes and then get distracted by the wall or carpet because it's so boring and a waste of time. I can understand if someone really, really likes a game but that's never been the case for me.

Roxxas
05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
I actually try to keep my stats as low as possible while still being able to beat the game. I really liked FF10 because of how you could basically save your levels on the sphere grid until you needed them. Made the game more challenging and fun for me.

Yar
05-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Unless I'm maxing ATK or HP or such-and-such for a specific reason, I ususally don't bother.

Power leveling bores me, and I can spend my time sleeping or watching TV... :rolleyes2

The highest levels I've ever had were 70~1 for Final Fantasy IV (the II-SNES Version)