PDA

View Full Version : Needing Laptop Help . . (URGENT!!!)

Azalar
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Okay, First, sorry for not coming on.

Right, My girlfriend wanted to downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP, which I have done, and before I did it, she had no problem connection to the internet through her wireless box.

I installed windows XP over Vista, and it removed all her settings, programmes and such as, which I knew it would, but I thought it would keep the wireless connection settings.

When I finished installing ( 30 Minutes for all those who wants to know ) and I finally logged into the laptop, it had no wireless connection settings, I have tried going and setting up a network, and I have all the information, such as a Passkey, admin username, admin password, the passphraes and all that ( no, I wont be telling you any of them, security reasons, and im not stupid, no offence people ).

I managed to get it on the internet using a USB Wireless Connection Device ( The NETGEAR WG111 v2 ), and setting it up using the device instillation discs.

The Laptop does have a internal wireless card, but I cant seem to get it to use it at the moment

The information you may need at the moment

Laptop ;- ADVENT Notebook Personal Computer - K4000
Operating System ;- Windows XP home Edition
Current Wireless Connection Device - NETGEAR WG111 V2

If someone could get me a reply pretty quick, so I can remove the horrible giant chunk known as the Wireless USB Connecter on the side of this laptop, I would be very grateful

o_O
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
You need to install the drivers for her wireless card. Search Google for the name and model of the card, or laptop manufacturer's website for the model of the laptop to find drivers.

crono_logical
04-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Also make sure you're using Windows XP with at least SP2 - wireless support is kinda bleh in anything lower :p

Old Manus
04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
So you too have decided to downgrade from Vista to XP. Not that I have, I'm determined to stick this :skull::skull::skull::skull: through until Microsoft gets its ass in the proverbial gear.

snacks
04-03-2008, 06:17 PM
I too did the same thing recently, if your computer came with a restore disc and or driver disc pop it in, and install the drivers. If not google for the XP drivers like stated before, in my case I was an idiot and started panicing over the fact that I couldn't connect to the internet without the drivers, when I realized my laptop came with a drivers cd.