PDA

View Full Version : "Major" Decision to make

MKusanagi
04-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I've reached the point in my college career when I really have to decide what the hell I'm going to major in. I don't want to spend 5 years trying to figure it out! What I know so far is that while I love anthropology I couldn't stand going to class for it. Drama bores me. Math doesn't do it and while I do get interested in Biology there is no way in hell I'd want to go to the trouble of getting a degree in it. However I am in love with languages. I'm currently in classes for two: french and spanish. I love them both. I want to learn every language under the sun but would like to start with the romantic languages and get semi to fully fluent before I go after Arabic, Japanese, etc... My main goal in life is to 1) go into the army, and 2) be employed in the government either in the FBI, NSA, Secret Service, CIA or even just PD (preferably LAPD or NYPD to small-town PD). Basically what I want to do is see action, travel the world and know alot of languages. So what degree should I get? Any ideas? Ultimately this is my idea but I could use some helpful thoughts.

Heath
04-02-2008, 11:45 PM
I think if you're loving languages so much then perhaps a language degree would put you in good stead and be enjoyable for you. I think particularly for a career within one of those government agencies, the ability to speak a language would be a huge boost to your prospects if you had to be posted outside of the US (or even in the case of Spanish, in the US).

ljkkjlcm9
04-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I took this semester off from school to try and figure out what I want to do. Started as an aerospace engineer nigh 4 years ago, 2 years ago went to business, last year went to sociology. I think I'll probably end up in Human development though

Having a hard time choosing is not unusual, just make sure it's something you enjoy

THE JACKEL

qwertysaur
04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I'm on my third major and only in my second semester. :p

MKusanagi
04-03-2008, 01:17 AM
My biology teacher had some interesting things to say. Perhaps I will get a degree in Biology after all or maybe it will be in language. But right now I'm beginning in Biology and it is hard. I'm basically going through growing pains. So I don't think I will declare myself until I'm sure Biology is what I want or don't want. If it isn't I may just do language degrees.

qwertysaur
04-03-2008, 01:22 AM
You could always double major. It will be hard, but satisfying in the end.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-03-2008, 02:17 AM
It is not exactly hard to change your major at first anyways. As long as you are not in your last year or going into it, a major is pretty easy to change as long as you have a few classes in one area. But like qwertyxsora said, you can double major. Or you can major and minor or major and double minor. Depending on the university you should have plenty of flexibility to pick a major for now and change it later, as long as you take your electives in an area you would want to change into. :)

ljkkjlcm9
04-03-2008, 02:22 AM
It is not exactly hard to change your major at first anyways. As long as you are not in your last year or going into it, a major is pretty easy to change as long as you have a few classes in one area. But like qwertyxsora said, you can double major. Or you can major and minor or major and double minor. Depending on the university you should have plenty of flexibility to pick a major for now and change it later, as long as you take your electives in an area you would want to change into. :)

it's never hard to change your major

take this from someone who currently has 135 or so credits, when the average major takes 120 to graduate. I've taken more than enough courses that would equal a degree, just from basically every major in the school. Haven't really focused on one enough to get a degree in it. But the nice part is, I'm at the point that I can finish most majors with only a year more of school.

THE JACKEL

MKusanagi
04-03-2008, 03:36 AM
I have thought about that. Dual majors and such. For some time I was almost certain I'd get a spanish degree and bio degree. But then I realized how truly hard it is to juggle two different subjects (3 in my case since I'm also taking french). I really could not handle two degrees. So I need to decide on one. I'm going to wait till next semester when I have had enough time to experience both subjects and figure out which I have more talent and interest in.

Yar
04-05-2008, 05:07 AM
Major in Spanish, minor in French.

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Third year Applied Physics(physics, math, electrical engineering, programming and chemistry)

havent regretted it once