PDA

View Full Version : Ovum.

Madame Adequate
04-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Eggs. Eggs are strange things. Or perhaps in this matter, I am strange. You see, my friends, should the scent of eggs being prepared accost my olifactory system, it induces a sense of repulsion and even nausea. I am repelled strongly by it.

Yet to devour eggs - that is to say, when they accost instead my gustatory system - I find their taste to be varied according to the method of preparation, but not universally unpleasant. Indeed one could go so far as to say that I rather enjoy those eggs which are boiled or fried, for example, and I certainly appreciate a good omelette!

This serves merely as an example. Discuss sensory conflicts! (And the first person to say they like the look but hate the sound of their wife gets Jap Clap.)

Balzac
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Cheesecake, it makes me want to vomit. The smell and the taste.

Rye
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
I love the taste of buffalo wings, but they're on a bone, and I can't each anything off of a bone. ;_; Just feeling it on my tongue makes me sick.

Roto13
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah, eggs smell disgusting but they can taste pretty good if you prepare them right.

I ate a piece of chocolate that looked like a turd. I guess that counts as a sensory conflict.

Rantz
04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Have you ever stepped in a warm pile of cow dung on a hot summer day? My nose says "no" but my somatic senses goes "Oh yes, that's right. Now sit in it! Take off your clothes and roll around in it!"

scrumpleberry
04-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I love the taste of buffalo wings, but they're on a bone, and I can't each anything off of a bone. ;_; Just feeling it on my tongue makes me sick.

Take em off the bone first.

Beetroot. Everything about it makes me feel sick - colour, texture, taste, beetroot juice, that stench ew ewww. Also I hated coleslaw and potato salad when I was little and I tend to avoid it on principle now, even though it isn't quite so icky anymore. Occasionally the sight of any sort of meat will make me feel a little nauseous, which is funny because I'm not vegetarian.

Rye
04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Even peeling/scraping it off a bone just makes me feel disgusted. xD I can't explain it.

Madame Adequate
04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, eggs smell disgusting but they can taste pretty good if you prepare them right.

I ate a piece of chocolate that looked like a turd. I guess that counts as a sensory conflict.

Thank you Rhody. This is what I want: Something that appeals to one sense and is objectionable to another, not just things that are objectionable to your senses. :p

Jess
04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Couscous. I've only ever tried it once, and the taste of it wasn't too bad but the texture was so gross I will never ever eat it again. :jess:

Araciel
04-02-2008, 07:49 PM
The texture of oatmeal is disgusting. Everyone knows it. But it's so good...I've never tasted a properly cooked oatmeal that I didn't like.

Peegee
04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Every day my kid brother brings to his computer something that looks like Ramen but it smells like rotten something (probably eggs)

I dunno wtf is going on.

rubah
04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
I like eggs in an academic sense, yet when I think about eating them while I eat them, sometimes I get grossed out. But I still think that I like eggs. Scrambled or hardboiled plz

Araciel
04-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Eggs are one of the best foods you can eat, they're so versatile, and to think of a list of things you make with eggs is a baffling task.

When cooked on their own, yes sometimes they're a bit stinky but that's ok...they're so awesome, that the stinkiness cannot mitigate the epic dining they create.

Caraliz
04-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Have you ever stepped in a warm pile of cow dung on a hot summer day? My nose says "no" but my somatic senses goes "Oh yes, that's right. Now sit in it! Take off your clothes and roll around in it!"
hahahaha~

i've got to say that if i don't like the texture/smell of something, i won't eat it. even if it tastes good. :(

Sergeant Hartman
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I hate the smell of mint sauce, but I love it with my Sunday dinner on some nice lamb.

fire_of_avalon
04-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Lamb and mutton smell amazing but taste like death.

Araciel
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM

Doesn't all meat/veg technically taste like death?! :p

fire_of_avalon
04-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Well lamb/mutton taste worse. Weenie.

Takara
04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Skunks smell bad, but they look cute. Does that count as a sensory conflict?

Araciel
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Do they always smell bad, due to some of the spray sticking to their fur, or just when they spray?

LunarWeaver
04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I like to look at fire, but touching it never floated my boat. I think rice tastes good, but I hate the look of it. It reminds me of maggots, ewwiee~

Takara
04-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Do they always smell bad, due to some of the spray sticking to their fur, or just when they spray?

Well, the skunk that lives under the stairs of my appartment building smells bad. I don't know if it's because of the spray or because she goes into the garbage container when she's hungry. I'm not sure if this would apply to all skunks.

She still looks cute. Skunks are adorable.

Araciel
04-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Hrm the garbage thing yeah... I forgot how much city skunks like garbage :D

http://www.stinktierbuch.de/skunk-baby1.jpg

OK they're cute..whatever

Shauna
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Anything I don't like the look of, I tend not to eat. Same with smell. Although, if someone else eats something, that I'm maybe not feeling too sure about eating, and says it's good; I do tend to try anything. Usually tastes good. :p

Lawr
04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
If the texture of food is just. . .despicable. . .I can't swallow it. Even if it tastes good

rubah
04-02-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it took me a long time to get to appreciate the taste of barbeque (too sweet!) and fried okra before I could enjoy their scent and taste both instead of just their smell.

Roto13
04-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Tonight my husband made cookies but they didn't come out right and they looked like they had been through a washing machine or something. They tasted damn good, though.

Takara
04-03-2008, 02:00 AM
I made cookies once that looked delicious, but they tasted like crap. Those cookies, they lied to me. :(

Jessweeee♪
04-03-2008, 03:13 AM
If the texture of food is just. . .despicable. . .I can't swallow it. Even if it tastes good

I know ;_;

Dolentrean
04-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Eggs make me wonder if our sex cells are ever going to be used to enhance the flavor of coco and flower.

Montoya
04-03-2008, 05:38 AM
This one time I thought I was eating guacamole, and seconds later my face turned red and realized it was wasabi. That was a sensory conflict. :(

Dolentrean
04-03-2008, 05:43 AM
I do have a mild case of a forum of synesthesia called grapheme → color synesthesia. It is a strange thing where when I hear a sound my mind will relate it to a color, sometimes that color will sometimes play across my mind. Some people call it "Seeing Sound" and it is viewed as "sensory cross over"

Nothing to do with taste, but it is still cool.

Balzac
04-03-2008, 06:03 AM
I do have a mild case of a forum of synesthesia called grapheme → color synesthesia. It is a strange thing where when I hear a sound my mind will relate it to a color, sometimes that color will sometimes play across my mind. Some people call it "Seeing Sound" and it is viewed as "sensory cross over"

My ex has that, it is a very strange "disorder" indeed.

snacks
04-03-2008, 06:15 AM
This sounds gross but:

We have a jack russell/terrier anyways, we get him special food because we are completely overprotective spoiling parents. The food's name is Caesar and I have to say that in most cases it smells 30 times better than most human food.

Momiji
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM

What sounds make your favorite color? :D

Zeldy
04-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Mmm, I love eggs. Egg mayonnaise is delicious.

I really don't know, as if a food has a bad aroma then straight away I'm like no no no and will refuse to eat it, so I can't really think of anything.

Dolentrean
04-03-2008, 07:54 PM
What sounds make your favorite color? :D

Well its never the exact same color, but acctually deeper tones make better color's in my oppinion :p

Markus. D
04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Burning Oil... Oh gosh I hope they get those fans working again.

41-Inches-Wide
04-05-2008, 04:02 PM
I love fermented duck eggs. :heart:
And I think all beans should be banned, they make me sick.

Randgris
04-05-2008, 05:13 PM
burong hipon (shrimp preserved using salt and ultimately left to the brink of smelling like its rotten) I don't like its taste. Its sour and, I can't explain...