PDA

View Full Version : A WINNER IS Y-- just kidding.

Momiji
04-02-2008, 10:11 PM
So I was at the arcade today, and I saw a 4GB flash drive as a prize for a skill game. It turns out, the first 12 rounds or so of this game ARE skill based. However, I found that once you get to the last round, you only win if you're lucky. It was a game where you line up horizontally moving squares vertically, you start with 3 and work your way up to one gradually. Well, I played this game around 20 times and easily made it to the final round. However, I knew I had that last square perfectly timed, because it stopped for a second, then moved one square to the left! Therefore, I won nothing and drove home feeling rather bitter.

Anyway, TOPIC: Discuss situations you were in that you thought you could handle easily, but were totally luck based when you got to the very end.

Cookie
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I played this game at Cineworld in Wales with my mate. We seriously wasted like 300 quid between us trying to get the last square to line up, we didn't succeed, though. There wasn't twelve rounds on this one, though, there were about six or seven, that got progressively harder as we went along.

Balzac
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I've played that game. They had a Nintendo DS in the one I was playing. I never won. :(

Momiji
04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I played this game at Cineworld in Wales with my mate. We seriously wasted like 300 quid between us trying to get the last square to line up, we didn't succeed, though. There wasn't twelve rounds on this one, though, there were about six or seven, that got progressively harder as we went along.

Twelve was a rough estimation. It could have been in the range of 10 to 15, but every one but that last one didn't really matter.

Vermachtnis
04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/AKA_Gluttony/OverConfidence.jpg

There was a Smash Bros. torney I went to a while ago and near the end (before the semifinals) of the tourney there was lot to see who got a free pass and of course I lost. Then went on and lost my fight.

Lawr
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Anyway, TOPIC: Discuss situations you were in that you thought you could handle easily, but were totally luck based when you got to the very end.

Chrono Trigger

Shoeberto
04-02-2008, 11:44 PM
The one at the mall here had a 360 Core set that my friends tried to get, but yeah, it never really worked out for them.

Dolentrean
04-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Never, I handled everything I have ever done with ease... except for sewing for some reson.

Jessweeee♪
04-03-2008, 03:18 AM
I am always robbed when playing mini-golf ;_;

Momiji
04-03-2008, 04:38 AM

Go on... how exactly does this happen? o_O

snacks
04-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Having worked in an arcade for 3 years, I can safely tell you all not to try these games. Please, don't waste your money.

Jessweeee♪
04-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Go on... how exactly does this happen? o_O

Not literally xD

The ball goes in the hole just a teensy bit, rolls around the rim, and rolls right back out. Stupid ball.

Momiji
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Having worked in an arcade for 3 years, I can safely tell you all not to try these games. Please, don't waste your money.

It was a lesson learned for me. I spent 4 dollars for tokens to play the game in hopes that I could win something that was $50+. So either way, it wasn't a total loss, I did learn that I'm pretty good at games that require timing, just not ones that require luck.

Heath
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Funnily enough I was standing in front of that very machine the other day and my friend said "I hate these games. They look good and easy but they're impossible to win so silly people just waste their money on them." xD

Jess
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
The ITbox is my enemy. :jess:

escobert
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
It wasn't luck based but my friend Maki and I got challenged to play basketball against my younger cousin and his friend for $100. We lost ><

Cookie
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Funnily enough I was standing in front of that very machine the other day and my friend said "I hate these games. They look good and easy but they're impossible to win so silly people just waste their money on them." xD

Tell your friend that's he's silly. But yeah, it really is a waste of money, considering how much we spent and that we didn't win at all. However, it really beats playing those crappy gun games and generic car-sims they have in there. :p

Zeldy
04-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I just don't bother with games like that. Anyone who actually believes that they're going to win deserves to waste their money, as seriously, no one will win them.

The Ceej
04-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Seriously. When you think about it logically, the game costs between 50¢ and $1 to play. The prizes range between $50 and $500. If the game were possible, it would lose money. Before you try these games, think about that.

A similar type of scam in our mall is a rock-climbing wall. You pay $4 to climb the wall. If you can hit the buzzer at the top of the wall, you win your choice of an X-Box 360 or PS3. But no one ever hits that buzzer because of how the wall is shaped at the top. First, towards the top, you start losing steps. They get smaller and eventually go away entirely. If you can still make it up the top you have to climb around a lip in the wall to make it to the buzzer. The person at the booth claims people win these prizes all the time to which I reply, "Then how are you still in business?" That seems to shut them up.

So, in conclusion, if you ever see a contest or a game that you think you can win, think about the odds versus the payoff. If it doesn't seem like a logical payoff for the odds, then it's probably rigged.

snacks
04-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Also man you guys are lucky, the prizes we had in our machines were lame. The only time anyone ever won anything was when they ahem *paid up front* ahem.

We had a machine that had higher level prizes but it was outside of the arcade so I really didn't consider it part of the arcade.

Heath
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
The ITbox is my enemy. :jess:

I really like ITboxes and always go on one if there's one around. Invariably me and my friends end up in the pub on a Thursday and end up playing Tetris on the ITbox trying to put in the dirtiest names possible to get around the censor. I have won £7.50 on Monopoly. And on the Fantasy Football me and my dad have the high score in our local Wetherspoons. We were slow putting in our team and the thing picked Newcastle United randomly. Annoyingly we knocked 2 Everton fans off joint first. So Newcastle (albeit Evertonians in disguise) are top of the Fantasy Football league in Colwyn Bay.

Tell your friend that's he's silly. But yeah, it really is a waste of money, considering how much we spent and that we didn't win at all. However, it really beats playing those crappy gun games and generic car-sims they have in there. :p

I hope you're not mocking that expensive, but great Mario Kart game or that frankly hilarious Asian cop game.

Cookie
04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm sure one of the car games was called The Quick and the Furious. The gun one had a revolver. Are you talking about the Cineworld over the road from Tesco? :p