PDA

View Full Version : Wild ARMs series.

Realm25
04-03-2008, 04:15 AM
So what does everybody think about these RPG's? I have 3 and 5, and cannot for the life of me get into them.

Bahamut2000X
04-03-2008, 04:18 AM
I've only played Wild Arms 2. But I love that game, and wouldn't mind trying out the others. It was an interesting game, had some nice story and characters, an interesting combat system that didn't really try and stem from traditional too much and be way too busy, and it had some nice puzzle solving elements too. Plus the graphics and music I found to be very nice.

NeoCracker
04-03-2008, 04:20 AM
They've all been good, 3 being the worst I played.

1 is the only one I haven't been able to try, so that one I can't vouch for.

Though with Wild Arms on the PSP now, I'm oh so close to bying the system.

Old Manus
04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I played Wild Arms 1 briefly, it was pretty poor

Loony BoB
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I enjoyed the original, personally. Never played 2 or 3, although I always intended to. I would now rather play the original again, if I could get my hands on it easily and cheaply.

Alucard von Elru
04-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I played a fair bit of 2, and tried a demo of 3. What I played of both whas abhorrent (or rather, nauseatingly mediocre), but I can't say anything of the rest of the series other than that I strongly lack interest.

Markus. D
04-04-2008, 02:07 AM
4 has an interesting gameplay scheme of which I've never played before.

It's the story the lead me to stop playing though... it's a little... bland, for me.

rubah
04-04-2008, 02:16 AM
The first one was pretty interesting. I need to finish it sometime. Shows me right for starting over christmas break.

Vermachtnis
04-04-2008, 02:23 AM
I've only played Wild ARMs 5 and I thought it was pretty good. Though the story didn't start to get good until about Liala Belle and around there when you get into the class system and such.

Dreddz
04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I disliked the first game so never took much interest from there until they took a different approach with their Hex system in Wild Arms 4. Ill give it a look once I got my PS2 working again.

Araciel
04-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I loved Wild ARMs...never played any sequels.

Wolf Kanno
04-05-2008, 02:17 AM
I like Wild ARMS but find the quality regresses as the series gets older.

WA1 is surprisingly good (the original not Alter Code F the remake) a huge world, plenty of secrets, all your characters were unique and likable. The plot is a little "by the book" but has enough twists and turns to make it feel original. Has a wonderful soundtrack (Rudy's theme is one of my all time favorites) Overall an exceptional game considering its age.

WA2 is has a larger cast and the story is quite original and deep (explores the theme of what it means to be a hero) gameplay suffers a bit though... Magic and summons have been retooled in a negative way... Your mage is useless and your summoner is ungodly powerful but he's also the most annoying character in the game. :mad: Your main character gets a special power thats comes close to breaking the gameplay and the ending is a little too touchy feely for my taste but eh :eep:. Other elements like the ARMs and Force abilities are refined even better in this game. Puzzles are fun but frustrating. Overall its a rather good sequel.

WA3 is where things start getting bad... The customization system is like a bland Junction/Materia system (You equip summons and the summons give you spells based on their elemental properties) and the ARMs and Force abilities were nerfed horriby. A few spells acquired early on allow you to break the game. The cast is generic the story is unintelligible and tries to connect itself to the first game but there are so many differences that these connections can only be thought of as homage rather than actual connections. WA3 tries to make alot of changes to a series that didn't need it.

I stopped playing after WA3 for obvious reasons, I especially hate how WA4 dropped the whole "Wild West theme" and made it even more generic. Alter Code F is a PS2 remake of WA1 but changes the games original system in favor of a slightly retolled WA3 system. Thus diminishing the quality of the game...

Krelian
04-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I only know the first Wild ARMs. I actually enjoyed it and was initially very intrigued by its setting and music. The music is especially noteworthy, the game's intro already begins with a cool guitar theme. It's a decent RPG, not bad, but not outstanding either.

Laddy
04-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I've played 2, and it was pretty mediocre.