PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow's Fish and Chip Paper

Heath
04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Do you read newspapers? If so, which ones do you tend to read?

I only buy them if I'm going to be out and about and will have some time to waste. If I'm going on the train, for instance, I'll probably buy one for something to do on the journey. I don't tend to buy them on my run of the mill days out because the ones I read are fairly expensive and also because I'll usually have a book/be playing Tetris on my phone instead.

When I buy the paper I tend to buy either The Independent or The Guardian. Though I've occasionally bought others if there's something good free in them (I rarely bother to read the paper though).

Big D
04-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Lately I'm buying the paper three times a week - for the bi-weekly job listings, and the weekly TV/entertainment listings. I buy The Press, the major regional paper in these parts. It's reasonably less trashy and tabloid-ish compared to the other big papers...

Jess
04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
If my parents, brother or friends buy a newspaper, I usually give it a read after them but I don't tend to go out and buy them. :jess:

Balzac
04-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm a fascist, I read the Daily Mail. I don't buy it, I read my friends when I'm around his place. I also read The Sun to laugh at the awful news they write.

Momiji
04-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I prefer to read the news on local news sites and on MSNBC and websites like that. You save money and paper that way. ^_^

fire_of_avalon
04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
I used to get a newspaper everyday but I don't have the time nowadays.

smittenkitten
04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
The only newspaper I read is the metro a local Edinburgh and Lothians newspaper. I tend to read it mostly on the bus and it's quiet a good one. I especially like the comic strips and sudoku. :p

Flying Mullet
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
The only news I read these days are the BBC headlines in the "Latest Headlines" feed link I have in Firefox. I know I should read more than one news source to be able to glean the "true news" from stories, but I just don't have the time.

Heath
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
The only news I read these days are the BBC headlines in the "Latest Headlines" feed link I have in Firefox. I know I should read more than one news source to be able to glean the "true news" from stories, but I just don't have the time.

To be honest the BBC is where I get most of my news from too. I've got that feed as well which I check several times a day if I'm online and I also watch the BBC current affairs programme Newsnight. So I'm not really cross-referencing either!

I forgot about local papers. I buy the North Wales Weekly News every so often for the job listings. More occasionally I'll buy the Daily Post for their jobs. Otherwise I check the free local newspaper the North Wales Pioneer for their jobs. Rarely any interesting news in them though. This week was an exception due to North Wales police HQ being on fire on Tuesday. Most people thought it was an April Fools apparently xD

escobert
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I read The Valley NEws which is my local paper. Then I sometimes read USA today. Oh and I look at BBCnews.com

Loony BoB
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
The only newspaper I read is the metro a local Edinburgh and Lothians newspaper. I tend to read it mostly on the bus and it's quiet a good one. I especially like the comic strips and sudoku. :p
Actually, the Metro is a UK-wide paper found in various cities. But yeah, it's a good paper and I like it a lot. I find that it's oddly much better than the priced papers.

Cookie
04-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Actually, the Metro is a UK-wide paper found in various cities. But yeah, it's a good paper and I like it a lot. I find that it's oddly much better than the priced papers.

Yes, I read The Metro when I'm on the bus sometimes. If it's near wherever I choose to sit, I'll read it, but I don't go out of my way to read any papers. My mum sometimes brings home papers for me to look for jobs in. That's about it.

Zeldy
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I sometimes read the St Helens Star or The Reporter as they're posted through our door, I sometimes read the Daily Mail too if my parents have bought it.

When I'm on holiday, I always buy magazines like Heat and all girly magazines, they're like 5 Euros too or something, but I get addicted and buy about one a day, I like reading them on the beach or around the pool.

rubah
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
they pile newspapers at us on campus (I'm sure we pay for it with one fee or another) but I don't really have time to read them daily. I like the Morning News though, despite having grown up with the Arkansas Democrat Gazette (I don't even remember when the Arkansas Gazette was a separate paper! it was like '92). My dad has disapproved of reading local papers, but I think they're more important than state papers if only because you can get all the stuff in the big papers online anyways at a number of places, but you can't hear about the city council elections anywhere else!

Breine
04-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Not really. My parents don't subscribe to any news papers right now, and I certainly don't go buy them myself. When I move out I think I'll subscribe to one called "Politiken", which is my favourite of the Danish ones.

Aerith's Knight
04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Eindhoven's dagblad, Metro, Breugel and Algemeen Dagblad(on sundays)

Xander
04-03-2008, 09:30 PM
I read the metro and the London Lite and London paper on the train, easy reading papers are okay for me, especially at 7 in the morning :p I don't like anything too trashy though, or too political... mostly I figure if something important is going on that involves me, I'll know about it ;)