PDA

View Full Version : "Hidden songs" are lame

Flying Mullet
04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I hate it when musicians put a "hidden song" at the end of a track after 5 minutes of silence or whatnot. It's obnoxious and the lapse of sound ruins my music listening experience.

ljkkjlcm9
04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
"Hidden song" = crap
Bonus track = cool

THE JACKEL

Cookie
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
I hate it when musicians put a "hidden song" at the end of a track after 5 minutes of silence or whatnot. It's obnoxious and the lapse of sound ruins my music listening experience.

I agree so very, very much.

Roto13
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
When I get a CD I listen to it once an rip it to my computer. Once it's ripped, I can cut out the excess and tag it appropriately.

But yeah, "hidden songs" are pretty stupid. If not for the freedom of my computer, they'd get on my nerves a lot.

escobert
04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
"Hidden song" = crap
Bonus track = cool

THE JACKAL

Avarice-ness
04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I usually just skip a song when I notice long spans of silence.

The only one I found -really- weird, as that on one of the Marilyn Manson cd's, there are 99 tracks on it and the 99th track is the "hidden/Bonus" song sound thing. It's like 20 second tracks from track 12 to 99.

escobert
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
do they think they're being tricky? "heh no one will notice 20 minutes of silence then BAM the song hits them!"

I Don't Need A Name
04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
the songs after the silence are usually pretty good though :D

Avarice-ness
04-03-2008, 07:30 PM
do they think they're being tricky? "heh no one will notice 20 minutes of silence then BAM the song hits them!"

I dunno, I think we're suppose to be excited and surprised by the track since it's like not written on the list of songs and what not on the back cover.

Either way, I'm never really excited for hidden tracks.

Flying Mullet
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
the songs after the silence are usually pretty good though :D
Then add them as a bonus track, not a hidden song. :roll:

Heath
04-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't like hidden songs because it's a pain if you happen to like a hidden song and want to listen to it on the computer. Unless you can be bothered to mess around with the file and slice it in two, or find someone else whose done that, you've got a fair bit of hassle each time you want to listen to the hidden track or even the listed track if you're listening on repeat.

Bonus tracks, on the other hand, are brilliant and are preferable.

snacks
04-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I like them aw. Cause they scare the crap out of me most of the time

LunarWeaver
04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I thought they were cool jelly when I was a young one. When I discovered them I got all happy, like I'd walked in on a ninja masturbating. But then I grew older and realized they had no point. -sigh- The secret song on Jagged Little Pill will always be awesome no matter what at least.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-03-2008, 10:02 PM
I went ahead and voted yes on this one. They can be quite enjoyable and unexpected. I once listened to a New Found Glory CD to the end. I didn't even notice when the music stopped and it kept going in silence. At least, I didn't notice until it started telling me there was someone in my house. Creepy when you are actually alone at home.

I usually do skip past them though. They are fun sometimes, especially when the hidden song/track/whatever is not what the band usually does. In one of the My Chemical Romance songs they start singing quesadilla over and over again, but it it quite entertaining. I enjoy those sorts of hidden songs. Sometimes.

On the other hand, they can be quite annoying when you just want music, music, music. And then the silence comes and you notice it right away. That can be irritating.

Flying Mullet
04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I got all happy, like I'd walked in on a ninja masturbating.
xD

Thanks Lunar, I needed a good laugh.

Madame Adequate
04-03-2008, 10:58 PM
It kinda gets on my nerves when musicians do this. I'm sure the first time it was done it was totally cool, I can see that happening when people just think "Wtf all this silence! Misprinted CD?" and skip ahead on it but seriously, who doesn't just blank out and leave it running without even realizing? So even if it was cool the first time it's really boring and old now, as well as being entirely obvious.

No more 'hidden' tracks if you musicians please.

Edit: And hahahahahaha I just saw what Lunar said that's legendary xDDD

Jess
04-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't really buy CDs. I download all my music, and listen to the radio so no hidden songs for me! :jess:

Flying Mullet
04-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I don't really buy CDs. I download steal all my music, and listen to the radio so no hidden songs for me! :jess:

Cz
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
I don't hate hidden songs, but I can't understand why anyone wanting to leave an easter egg on their record wouldn't put the hidden track in the pregap. It's a much better hiding place, and more accessible to those who know it's there.

Shiny
04-03-2008, 11:46 PM
I hate the long intervals in between them. I almost fell asleep one time waiting for the next song to start and then all of the sudden music started blasting and I was like, "Wtf this isn't the song on the track listing!" I thought I got a bootleg...

Jigsaw
04-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't like it because it makes the songs hard to listen to in my custom playlist on my Xbox.

Araciel
04-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Tool is notorious for this...and it pisses me off to no end.

bipper
04-04-2008, 12:24 AM
crouching tiger hidden song.

Sucks, even with subtitles.

Montoya
04-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I voted yay thinking that bonus songs were the topic. However, I think that hidden songs are lame and would much rather prefer bonus ones.

Elly
04-04-2008, 02:31 PM
i love hidden/bonus tracks, the most clever one i've seen so far was on an X-Files CD... a liner note said "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds want you to remember that zero is also a number", if you play track one and rewind/seek it back into the negative counter there is a hidden/bonus song before track #1...

just remembered another hidden one in Marilyn Manson: Mechanical Animals... there is a hidden track that can not be heard unless you insert the disc into a PC, if you have autoplay turned on it will pop up a window that begins playing the bonus track and have 2 (if i remember right) immages you can flip between while it plays... the entire album deals with the number 15 but there are only 14 tracks on the album, this clue as well as others hidden in the album artwork point to the tracks location and the need for a PC to hear it...

Momiji
04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
It doesn't help that the hidden songs always suck too.

Calliope
04-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Hidden tracks aren't lame at all - the artist is usually doing something surprising and cool, particularly if you listen to music on an actual stereo, the way it was supposed to be played. They also don't always suck, so I don't know what you're talking about - maybe you just listen to sucky bands.

A nice touch is also hidden artwork (think Kid A), or extra CDs hidden in between the CD casing (SFA).

Takara
04-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Some hidden songs are great, others not so. Either way, I don't like having to press on forward to listen to one. I'm lazy.

Balzac
04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I couldn't care less. So what if there's a bit of silence? It's not going to kill you.

charliepanayi
04-05-2008, 09:37 AM
I couldn't care less. So what if there's a bit of silence? It's not going to kill you.

No but having to fast-forward through about 20 minutes of silence (like some hidden tracks have before they start) is a pain in the arse.

Balzac
04-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Oh boo hoo.

Breine
04-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't really buy CDs. I download steal all my music, and listen to the radio so no hidden songs for me! :jess:

Yes, shame on you Jess :mog:

I really have no opinion on this. Hidden tracks have never ruined my experience of listening to an album.. it's always just kinda been a hidden surprise, like "Oh, hidden track.. gonna listen to it".

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I do appreciate the unexpected song, but it IS very annoying to have them both on the same track and with so much silence in between :(

scrumpleberry
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
"Hidden song" = crap
Bonus track = cool

THE JACKAL

rubah
04-05-2008, 07:50 PM
The hidden songs in Sing the Sorrow more than make up for being hidden.

Momiji
04-05-2008, 07:57 PM

That's an exception. I liked that song. :)

charliepanayi
04-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Oh boo hoo.

Tell me, were you born a rude tosser or did it take years of special training?

And I don't care if I am flaming here, I'm not taking a rude answer like that.

Araciel
04-05-2008, 08:51 PM

I didn't take into account the awesomeness of any song. Whether or not it's a good song doesn't mitigate the fact that it's after ten or so minutes of nothing/static.

Although, the MP3 world generally fixes this.

Momiji
04-05-2008, 09:38 PM

I didn't take into account the awesomeness of any song. Whether or not it's a good song doesn't mitigate the fact that it's after ten or so minutes of nothing/static.

Although, the MP3 world generally fixes this.

It's forgivable, since the space between the last song and the hidden song on Sing the Sorrow is around 2 minutes. That's not too long.

Rostum
04-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I thought Days of the New's 'Orange' album did this fairly well, but other than that I don't care for it because more often than not I like the "hidden" tracks and would rather be able to select it.

BardTard
04-07-2008, 05:17 AM
5 minutes of silence sucks. I put my CDs on "repeat all" because as soon as the last song ends, I wanna hear the beginning of the next song! Not silence for 5 minutes. I can't stand silence
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!
just thinking about it drives me NUTS!

Bloodline666
04-07-2008, 05:51 AM
5 minutes of silence sucks. I put my CDs on "repeat all" because as soon as the last song ends, I wanna hear the beginning of the next song! Not silence for 5 minutes. I can't stand silence
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!
just thinking about it drives me NUTS!

5 minutes of silence does MORE than drive me nuts. It makes me want to kill myself! That's how much that bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: annoys me.

Loony BoB
04-21-2008, 01:17 PM
The secret song on Jagged Little Pill will always be awesome no matter what at least.
I know I'm late, but I just have to say: Yes. This is the only real experience I can remember with regards to hidden tracks, but dammit, that one worked.

Sarc the Swordsman
04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
None of my CD's have hidden songs on them...as far as I know. They sound annoying though.

Relapse
04-26-2008, 05:47 AM
nah, it depends on whether it's cool or not. besides, downloaded stuff usually, if not always, omits the empty space. so, it depends.