PDA

View Full Version : Wearing shoes indoors...

Araciel
04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Is for people who can't untie them and US of A'ers...

Yay or nay?

(or, do you wear shoes inside, or no?)

Every household I've been to in this great country (Canadia) seems to be no-shoe territory, which is awesome.

CimminyCricket
04-04-2008, 06:12 AM
I take my shoes off, but I don't make others do the same.

strawberryman
I don't wear shoes OUTSIDE when I can avoid it, why would I ever wear shoes inside? I can freak people out with my monkey toes when I'm not wearing socks, either. Which is pretty much all of the time.

Momiji
If I know I'm going to be staying home for quite a while or if my shoes are wet are dirty, I'll take them off. I'll only leave them on if I'm only coming inside for a moment and then going straight back out.

But then again, I don't have to worry about tying my shoes, as my footwear of choice are checkered/striped Vans. They don't have laces. ^_^

XxSephirothxX
04-04-2008, 06:14 AM
For any extended period of time while indoors, shoes come off. It kind of annoys me when other people don't do the same, actually, because a lot of times they'll end up putting their shoes on the furniture, and that's a no-no!

Academic
04-04-2008, 06:15 AM
Normally I'll keep my shoes on and sometimes even prop them up on the coffee table if I feel like it. But if they're going to make a seriously huge mess and I know I have to put out the effort in order to clean it up, I won't bother as it would probably be more work rather than just taking them off.

Aerith's Knight
04-04-2008, 06:19 AM
I dont really care, I keep the floor clean anyways.

Roto13
04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
People who wear shoes indoors are animals. Stop tracking dirt everywhere!

rubah
04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
I don't take my shoes off in other people's houses unless I'm going to be there for a while and am comfortable.

I don't take my shoes off in my house if I know I'm going to have to put them right back on again and they're tennis shoes.

It feels weird to have shoes on in the house xD

I don't wear shoes OUTSIDE when I can avoid it, why would I ever wear shoes inside?
I love going barefoot:D only thing is at my campus I have to walk past a couple of frat houses and so it's like no-mans zone for glass there -.- luckily it just rained a ton so the upper sidewalks are clean, but the lower ones are nasty -.-

strawberryman
04-04-2008, 06:28 AM
I love going barefoot:D only thing is at my campus I have to walk past a couple of frat houses and so it's like no-mans zone for glass there -.- luckily it just rained a ton so the upper sidewalks are clean, but the lower ones are nasty -.-

Glass never stops me. I have iron feet.

Miriel
04-04-2008, 06:51 AM
The only time I've ever keep my shoes on inside a house is if I'm at a stranger's house, and even then it's only if the stranger isn't Asian. Every single Asian house I enter, even if it's a stranger's house, you have to take off your shoes. It's just a given. It's really strange and bizarre to me to keep on your shoes when you're inside. Why would you do that? Off with the shoes, on with the fluffy house slippers!

escobert
04-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I wear slippers! but I do wear shoes up 2 flights of stairs to my room :p

fire_of_avalon
04-04-2008, 07:11 AM
No shoes EVER. I ran shoeless through the streets of Carrboro yesterday. And it was wonderful.

Vermachtnis
04-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Nope, I get unconfortable wearing shoes for too long. I leave my socks on though.

Ramza Beoulve
04-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I tend to use my shoes all day long, just taking them off for sleeping and taking a shower, so, yeah, I use them indoors.

Randgris
04-04-2008, 09:25 AM
The only time I've ever keep my shoes on inside a house is if I'm at a stranger's house, and even then it's only if the stranger isn't Asian. Every single Asian house I enter, even if it's a stranger's house, you have to take off your shoes. It's just a given. It's really strange and bizarre to me to keep on your shoes when you're inside. Why would you do that? Off with the shoes, on with the fluffy house slippers!

It's a custom for us, we don't like shoes inside the house. Wearing shoes inside the house is like getting butt naked in front of other people. Its unethical and rude.

Xander
04-04-2008, 09:35 AM
No! I just like thick slipper socks with the grippy stuff on the bottom and usually with bears on them, for indoors.

Balzac
04-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I wear my shoes indoors at my house, but I always take them off at other peoples.

Eiko Guy
04-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I feel weird taking my shoes off at other peopls house but at my house I always wear a single sock. Just love the contrast.

qwertysaur
04-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I love walking around barefoot, the shoes are off whenever they can be. :D

Momiji
04-04-2008, 03:24 PM

I went to a Japanese restaurant for my birthday this year, and they let us wear house slippers inside the restaurant! I thought that was so cool~ :p

Psychotic
04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I don't take my shoes off in other people's houses unless I'm going to be there for a while and am comfortable. This. In my own house they come off.

Jess
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I never wear shoes in my house. Barefoot ftw. :jess:

I usually take my shoes off in other peoples houses as well, incase they'd think of it as rude if I left them on.

snacks
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't wear shoes often (don't get out much) but when I come home I usually tend to leave them on out of laziness. But for the longest time we use to never wear them inside.

Now I guess I just don't really notice.

Breine
04-04-2008, 05:42 PM
When at home I preferably walk around barefooted, and whenever I'm in someone else's home I also take off my shoes.. although I keep on the socks :)

Heath
04-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I don't take my shoes off in other people's houses unless I'm going to be there for a while and am comfortable. This. In my own house they come off.

Same for me. Sometimes I'll go to take them off and be told that I don't need to bother, in which case I'll keep them on. Always ask people to take them off in my house though.

Tavrobel
04-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Shoes off if I'm going anywhere past a yard away from the door. People who wear them all the time are idiots who have no idea how hard it is to clean mud off of a carpet.

Shiny
04-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Off with their shoes!

Blue Harvest
04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I only wear shoes indoors when I cba to take them off. Other times I wear an old pair of grandad slippers which are falling apart and thus are held together by safety pins.

Aerith's Knight
04-04-2008, 11:34 PM

Japanese style housing is different from western style. Often they have soft floors(like mats) and tables near the ground. You sit on the floor. It would be common sense not to wear dirty shoes inside such a house. I suppose that tradition kept going even though they may have hard floors.

Its like the same reason you dont put your shoes on the couch.

cloud21zidane16
04-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I never wear shoes in my house. Barefoot ftw. :jess:

I usually take my shoes off in other peoples houses as well, incase they'd think of it as rude if I left them on.

Same. Its so much more comfortable:D

Miriel
04-05-2008, 01:01 AM

Japanese style housing is different from western style. Often they have soft floors(like mats) and tables near the ground. You sit on the floor. It would be common sense not to wear dirty shoes inside such a house. I suppose that tradition kept going even though they may have hard floors.

Its like the same reason you dont put your shoes on the couch.

It's a custom for us, we don't like shoes inside the house. Wearing shoes inside the house is like getting butt naked in front of other people. Its unethical and rude.
Lol at you guys explaining Asian customs to me. :p

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Im just answering to the best of my knowledge..

Relapse
04-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't wear shoes in houses.

People don't wear shoes in houses.

It's like that.

blackmage_nuke
04-06-2008, 02:44 PM

This is completely wrong

The reason Asians dont want shoes in thier house is because they're sane!

BardTard
04-07-2008, 04:45 AM
No. There is so much wrong with that. It gets the floor dirty, it's not relaxable, and you're just not supposed to do it! I don't really care if other people do it though, but I can't wear shoes inside. Unless I'm just too tired to care about taking them off.

Nominus Experse
04-07-2008, 08:12 AM
I never understood why people would wear their shoes inside.

Peegee
04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I've never met a household that prefers to have people wear shoes everywhere. You have to mop the tiled floors or the carpets get really dirty. And don't get me started on what happens when you start jumping on furniture and beds like I do.....what?

Rase
04-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Unless the people tell me to I leave the shoes on when I go to someone's house. When I'm in my "house" (a.k.a dorm) my shoes are mainly on in case I just decide to leave or go do something with friends.

Calliope
04-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I'm having difficulty relating to you lot. I traipse around with my clodhoppers shod all day, so when I come home, it isn't an automatic desire for me to remove my shoes. I don't wear uncomfortable shoes, and I don't run through fields of debris either, so I don't have this burning need to "liberate" my soles the way the rest of you seem to. As for reasons of culture or manners, the only times I've had to take my shoes off before entering someone's house is when it has been obvious that their living quarters have just been refurbished/are significantly more expensive than mine. In my house, we were often nagged at to take our shoes off, but that was because we couldn't afford more shoes, not to preserve our carpet, or serve anyone's manners. Fie!

Hambone
04-12-2008, 02:53 AM
If I know I'm going to be staying home for quite a while or if my shoes are wet are dirty, I'll take them off. I'll only leave them on if I'm only coming inside for a moment and then going straight back out.

But then again, I don't have to worry about tying my shoes, as my footwear of choice are checkered/striped Vans. They don't have laces. ^_^
ZOMG same here!

Mirage
04-12-2008, 01:20 PM
I take off my shoes indoors, because it'd get really dirty after a little while if I didn't. And if someone visiting me wouldn't take them off, they'd get a smack in the face.

Bakamut
04-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I normally don't wear shoes indoors because I like my feet to be FREE! (and if I wear shoes for too long in the hot weather I end up with tinea).

I don't care if other people wear shoes though. I went to my friend's house the other day and his family had a no-shoes-inside policy and I couldn't go inside cause I couldn't be bothered unlacing my 14-eye boots and doing them up again when I leave 5 minutes later.

Every time I've been to an Asian's house it's pretty much been necessary to take my shoes off. I've never been to an Asian's house where you can leave your shoes on.

Iceglow
04-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Well in my house with it's vast majority bare wooden floorboards I walk in my shoes not to mention 2 small kids (my sisters, never mine) = hidden lego/toys and if you've ever stepped on that barefoot it hurts you'll know. in my girlfriends I take my shoes off as soon as I'm inside unless someone breaks a plate or bottle ect.