PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of Ico

Eiko Guy
04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
So I got shadow of the colossus and have heard that it is related to Ico. I want Ico because of the way it's demo played. I more than wantr it actually I crave it immensey.

SoTC I couldn't fight the first colossus for like three hours. Way too busy walking around and looking at ruins. I want them to explain so much more of the story. The land is interesting and Dormin was never really explained.

Speculations on the world and it's history?

Dreddz
04-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Ico is one the best PS2 games ever made. Try your best to find it (you wont have a chance in shops, try online) although its a bit pricey at this point.

In terms of similarities between SoTC and Ico, well all I saw was that there were very similer creatures in SoTC that appeared in Ico as well. I guess I didnt pay that much attention during SoTC.

Captain Maxx Power
04-04-2008, 03:31 PM
In terms of the chronology of the two games, SoTC occurs many years before Ico. The ending shows that Wander was reborn as a horned child. It's implied in Ico that there are lots of previous horned boys who have been sacrificed, and it's been hinted at that Ico is infact a descendant of the now behorned Wander. So the games are connected, but it's only something you need worry about if you're a fan of both games.

Alucard von Elru
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Fumito Ueda has officially stated that Shadow of the Colossus is a prequel to Ico, so yes, there are connections. At any rate, both games are absolutely brilliant. I've seen them force even the most anti-Sony gamers to pick up a PS2. They're quite different, however. Whereas SotC's play mechanics are a mixture of a boss-rush mode fused with astoundingly in-depth exploration, Ico is reminiscent of some sort of "Prince of Persia + Panzer Dragoon", in terms of play mechanics and general style.

Also, this site will be the greatest resource for Team Ico game info: TIG Magazine - News & Latest Updates (http://www.tigmagazine.com/)

I say "will" because, er, it "was". It used to be just a site on blogspot, and it was filled with, seriously, the most incredible articles about the two games that you'll ever read. The head of the site fiiinally created a non-blogspot web address, so he's in the process of restoring articles and other content to the new site. It's a work-in-progress, but I'd bet that in a month or two everything should be up, in which case it will be KING again. So keep your eye on it, especially for the restoration of the "Antagonism and Continuity" article. That article should ONLY be read after completing both games, however, as it goes wildly in depth into aspects of both of them!

So yeah, bookmark that address and just wait for Alex (the head of the site) to finish the restoration of content! You'll be happy!

Loony BoB
04-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Ico is one the best PS2 games ever made. Try your best to find it (you wont have a chance in shops, try online) although its a bit pricey at this point.
I got Ico at gamestation. Never underestimate the power of the trade-in.

Alucard von Elru
04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
lol Actually, yeah, I got the last copy of Ico at my local EB. Lucky-lucky! :)

Breine
04-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I got Ico at gamestation. Never underestimate the power of the trade-in.

It can still be found many places in Denmark.. brand new copy and all.

XxSephirothxX
04-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Shadow of the Colossus was an absolutely incredible game in pretty much every way. Absolutely beautiful.

I actually just played through Ico this week and finished it on Wednesday. It took me longer to get into it because it's so much more puzzle based than Shadow of the Colossus, but I still loved it. Fantastic atmosphere.

I can't wait to see what they make next. While I think a remake or direct sequel to Shadow of the Colossus would not be much of a step forward for them in a creative or storytelling perspective, the things they could do with this generation's hardware makes me want it bad, regardless.

Quindiana Jones
04-04-2008, 11:57 PM
SotC is one of the few games that I will never get rid of.

I have yet to buy Ico, but by God do I want to.

Big D
04-05-2008, 12:23 AM
...The land is interesting and Dormin was never really explained.

Speculations on the world and it's history?My take on what happened: Untold years ago, Dormin was a demon/devil figure who threatened the world. He was eventually beaten, but couldn't be killed, so his fragmented spirit was bound into the sixteen Colossi, divine beings created by the sages/clerics. The sacred sword was used as a kind of 'key' to seal or activate the Colossi, hence why it's the only thing that can harm them. The point of this was to keep Dormin's spirit from being released and being able to re-form - which is exactly what the wanderer inadvertently does in the game. Probably an imperfect theory, but it fits what is shown by the events and dialogue of the game.

Eiko Guy
04-06-2008, 09:38 PM
I like your theory it fits pretty nicely. But I would love for thee to be a hiuge twist that noone expected. The end of SoTC kinda annoyed me. I wanted to be able to escape the suction or defeat the horse guys.

Dolentrean
04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
For a moment I thought that this was going to be talking about a new game in that universe! You got my hopes up and then tore them down post haste :( Great job.