PDA

View Full Version : What, you're not rooting for anyone?!

Flying Mullet
04-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Am I the only person in this world that will watch a sports game for the sport rather than the team? I can't count the number of times I'll go over to a friend's house/bar/whatever to watch a game and someone will ask me which team I'm cheering for. When I tell them I don't care, they act like I have the pox. I really don't have any favorite sports teams, so when I watch a game it's because I think it will be an exciting match, not because there are certain players and team logos involved.

Araciel
04-04-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't watch any sports that are non-combat/martial arts type (not including UFC which is a waste of braincells). Team sports and even personal sports like running/swimming, etc. are boring to me when watched instead of participated in.

Also, poker does not belong on ESPN./rant

ljkkjlcm9
04-04-2008, 11:13 PM
I watch soccer just to watch it. Football I usually have a preferred team. I don't really watch any other sports.

THE JACKEL

Creeping Shadow
04-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I never can get into sports enough to root for someone. But thats just because Im a nerd.:p

charliepanayi
04-04-2008, 11:17 PM
If it's a sport other than English club football, I will usually have no real support for anyone. I'll enjoy watching it, I may have preferences, but I won't go nuts if my preference loses (be they a team or a person). Same for international football competitions like the World Cup. I like a lot of sports, and a lot of them are just for fun.

Yar
04-05-2008, 04:55 AM
I watch hockey when I can. I root for Columbus if they're playing, then anyone playing against Detroit or Nashville, followed by watching the game to just watch it for the sport itself.

I Took the Red Pill
04-05-2008, 05:29 AM
I find the sport to be so much more enjoyable to watch when I'm rooting for a specific side. This preference can't be forced however, and therefore I will often find myself watching sports without cheering for one side over the other, as you've said.

Alex151
04-05-2008, 05:58 AM
I'm a Philly eagles fan, but I watch football anytime I can

Big D
04-05-2008, 07:03 AM
...I will often find myself watching sports without cheering for one side over the other, as you've said.This is how it is for me, often enough. Like the other day, I watched part of the Rugby Sevens game between France and Tunisia - two teams I'm not even remotely concerned about, but it was a damn good game to watch because Sevens matches are just like that.
Then there are the major worldwide contests, like the Commonwealth or Olympic games, where it's often genuinely exciting just to see the world's finest competing at the top of their game. More often than not, there's no-one from my country competing in a particular event, but it's still great to see - and quite frequently a kind of 'fan favourite' emerges, where one competitor gains a strong following regardless of nationality.

Cz
04-05-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm like Pill, and find watching sports to be much more engaging when I've got someone to root for. Some of the most exciting matches are as much about the rivalry or the occasion as the game itself, and having an emotional stake in the game can make an otherwise average contest much more engaging. That said, unless the sport's football (soccer), I don't have enough preferences and prejudices to feel particularly strongly about the result. I'll pick a team for most games, but it won't ruin my day if my pick loses. But give me any two football clubs and I'll be able to give you a strong preference for one or the other. :p

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I find it almost impossible not to end up supporting one side/person

The Unknown Guru
04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm with Mullet here. When I watch sports, I always look for good strategic decisions (football, futbol) or sweet moves (basketball, futbol). I can't help rooting for the home team or the underdog once in a while, but I'm mostly unbiased.

Kasou
04-05-2008, 09:36 PM
I support Wales as a rugby team (GRAND SLAM YO) but that's about as much as it's limited to... actually, I think rugby's the only sport that I'll voluntarily watch.

Jings
04-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Although I'll watch football (soccer) as a neutral and still greatly enjoy it, it just can't compare to the excitement and nerves that come with watching your chosen team in a cup final or something similar. A sporting event just becomes so much more when there's someone to support.

MJN SEIFER
04-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Does the Grand Prix count as a sport?

Because if so, I mainly watch that for the fact I love it. Although I will occasionally support someone.

Hambone
04-06-2008, 06:46 PM
I never can get into sports enough to root for someone. But thats just because Im a nerd.:p

ljkkjlcm9
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm with Mullet here. When I watch sports, I always look for good strategic decisions (football, futbol) or sweet moves (basketball, futbol). I can't help rooting for the home team or the underdog once in a while, but I'm mostly unbiased.

I'll watch a game and have a favored team, but still note the good plays by the opposing team and such. It's a game afterall, and I'm watching to be entertained. A good play is a good play, no matter who does it.

THE JACKEL