PDA

View Full Version : What is it like in America?

KentaRawr!
04-05-2008, 01:24 AM
Let us see how opinions conflict.

Ready?

GO!

Dolentrean
04-05-2008, 01:27 AM
It has me, therefore it is 15% more awesome

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2008, 01:27 AM
I don't have anything else to compare it to o.o

Araciel
04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
It's hot and crowded, smells like cheese.

snowstalker
04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Alaska's Effing AWESOME!!!

Rye
04-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Well, the Northeast is lovely. And California is, I'm sure. And possibly Florida. :jess:

strawberryman
04-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QS7wWzwak4)

Araciel
04-05-2008, 01:32 AM
I was tempted to link the Ranting Gryphon on youtube..but he swears a lot.

Rye
04-05-2008, 01:33 AM

You... you... you are my new best friend. Any friend of West Side Story is a friend of Rye. :bigsmile:

Madame Adequate
04-05-2008, 01:34 AM
It is awesome. It even smells better than Britain.

Værn
04-05-2008, 03:35 AM
Amerika ist wunderbar =) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9EksAo5hY)
Let's all post random America-related music videos! Yay!

escobert
04-05-2008, 03:38 AM
It's nice up here in the North East. There's lots of variety.

Shiny
04-05-2008, 03:55 AM
California is polluted in every sense of the word
New York smells bad and is full of people who try to appear important in the streets when they're probably not
Florida has too much damn roaches that are huge and seem to pop up out of no virtually no where
New Jersey is a turnpike and it will let you ride it because it is a whore
Texas is just a desert full of boring conservatives
Vermont is for drugs and hippies
Louisiana is a cesspool
Georgia is full of rednecks and you might be one if...
Washington has too much rain
Alaska is cold and penguins are better
Massacusettes is full of drunks and bad comedians

Just to name a few.

Despite all of that, I still love U.S. of A. <3

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2008, 04:31 AM
I like it, the driving is so relaxes its kinda dangerous.. some downsides are the insane amounts of salt on the road(ruined my 200 dollar shoes) and the insane amount of chlorine in the water..

the rest is 150% awsomesauce

Roto13
04-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Everyone eats nothing but red meat with barbecue sauce and they shoot minorities and they smell like BO.

Linus
04-05-2008, 04:38 AM
It rains money on Thursday and the streets are paved with candy.

Anno Domini
04-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Alaska's Effing AWESOME!!!
omg another alaskan! let us hold hands and skip@

Shoeberto
04-05-2008, 05:42 AM
You're only American if you live in California or New York everywhere else is just boring god I don't know how they can stand themselves

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2008, 05:42 AM
Everyone eats nothing but red meat with barbecue sauce and they shoot minorities and they smell like BO.

you must be typing in the south, because 80% of what ive eaten here is chicken.

You're only American if you live in California or New York everywhere else is just boring god I don't know how they can stand themselves

NY all the way, buddy! *peacesign*

Alex151
04-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Ohio is laid back, has some pretty hood towns though. Lots of hills, no mountains, very hot and humid in the summer, and very cold in the winter, then spring and fall are just right, also american football, was originated right here in canton, so thats pretty cool. America itself is pretty good, cant complain, but people do anyways.

Momiji
04-05-2008, 05:54 AM

I can't. I wanna move into a bigger city as soon as I can. :mad2:

I Took the Red Pill
04-05-2008, 05:57 AM
You're only American if you live in California or New York everywhere else is just boring god I don't know how they can stand themselvesseriously.

Akaria
04-05-2008, 06:05 AM
I live in Minneapolis, MN, and although it's pretty easy to get shot for absolutely no reason, the suburbs are nice. They've got everything you need, and the Mall of America is 15 minutes away. It's nice:heart:

Araciel
04-05-2008, 06:05 AM
You're only American if you live in California or New York everywhere else is just boring god I don't know how they can stand themselvesseriously.

lol they even look down on each othewr.

Shoeberto
04-05-2008, 06:11 AM
failure

Miriel
04-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Aww, Hsu is tired of the vowel states getting made fun of. :p

I actually think it's the opposite. When I think of "America" I think about the heartland of America, and that ain't California or New York.

Arc_Master_14
04-05-2008, 07:10 AM
This is untrue Californians are more Mexican than anything I believe the real american states to be the midwest nowhere near the coasts

Aerith's Knight
04-05-2008, 07:11 AM
New york, Albany and Rotterdam are colonies of the netherlands :D

We got here first, then sold it to the english(made a good bit of money on it).. the english then lose it in a civil war, then we swoop in and make money off of slave trade..

I have to say that we dutch people are made to be rich ;)

Araciel
04-05-2008, 07:13 AM
This is untrue Californians are more Mexican than anything I believe the real american states to be the midwest nowhere near the coasts

He was...joking...

Montoya
04-05-2008, 07:38 AM

He was...joking...

XD

What is America?
<a href="http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o153/Antinferno/?action=view&current=sexyparty.gif" target="_blank">http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o153/Antinferno/sexyparty.gif</a>

Citizen Bleys
04-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I'd rather get gonorrhea than live in any country that has the DMCA.

Heath
04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
By and large the people are very talkative and friendly. They don't tend to hold doors open for you and (national stereotypes ahoy!) I'd say the people aren't quite as polite as they are here in Britain. That's the feeling I got from Florida anyway. I also know that on one day during any fortnight, there will be a thunderstorm and you'll get drenched; most likely on the day when you happen to be wearing shorts and t-shirt. Otherwise the weather is really nice, sunny and hot. It's a rather nice country to visit, even if I've only been to touristy Florida, but one I'd enjoy visiting again.

Rantz
04-05-2008, 09:15 AM
They also have automobiles and big metal birds to fly in.

IronOcean
04-05-2008, 09:26 AM
sorry to crush all dreams but i just hung out with a guy from aulstrlia and could not belive how many times he could of said "only in america" it is true, girls it only takes one saying to make it happen, we are as gorgeuous as any country and we hate anyone who is not white omg whats not to love lol. honestley to quoute M. Ward "every town is just the same" count it

Citizen Bleys
04-05-2008, 10:25 AM
That's the feeling I got from Florida anyway.

90% of Florida's population is Canadian, and old enough to speak Phoenecian.

Polaris
04-05-2008, 10:49 AM
From what I've seen of people and those on the News I woulnd't live in America even if I was paid :D Howevere I do have to study american culture and literature, some are interesting but nowadays it's just meh! Americans at the beginning were british puritans, but they didn't firt in Britain society so they went to the new World with the hope of a better land. They just made mistakes after mistakes -.-" They at the neginning thought of making something like a "city upon a hill" but with the developments of the laws in Britain, they actually build a paradox, America was consider a new world full of oportunities with an open mind but unfortunetly it nevere worked fully like that specially with slaves! Neither nowadays! The truth is Americans since the beginning thought they were the choosen of God! And I think some people still think that! :( Also this explains why most americans are really religious, it all comes with their past!

I still prefer Britain!:D

Balzac
04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I know that Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia are actually commonwealths and not states. :o

Linus
04-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Louisiana follows the Napoleonic Code, also.

Rye
04-05-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry I pick on the rest of the country, Hsu. xD I've never really been to most of the other places, so I admit my opinion isn't the most valid one. I just got a really bad impression of the other places I did go to, like Washington DC, which was a ghetto crap hole and makes me angry every time anyone insults NYC for being "dangerous" and would let there kids walk around THERE, but not in NYC, and Virginia, the only place in the South I've been, because it was miles of fields and a tiny scary old house ever 10 miles, which literally did make me sick with worry while we were driving through VA. Even Baltimore was a crap hole. A really pretty sea-side crap hole, but there were bums EVERYWHERE. And not the funny whimsical ones that we have. They and DC had the holy crap aggressive ones that chase kids! All of my experiences near and below the Mason-Dixon line have been bad ones. xD Besides, I pick on NY all the time. Red Pill and Denmark are lovingly harassed by me for living in upstate New York with the freaking Canadian mounties and farms and stuff. <3 It's not just the south and midwest.

I've really not been to a vast majority of the US. I've been to more places overseas than here, tbh. So I'm just joking around. I'm sure I'd like it more if I've been to those other places. North Carolina is like, NYers who want slow pace central. Some of my family is down there. Maybe I'll go sometime. I'll cool it with the jokes then, mistuh hsoo. :bigsmile:

Madame Adequate
04-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I'd say the people aren't quite as polite as they are here in Britain.

o__O Either you live in a wonderful, amazing part of Britain or you visited a very different America from me. They were infinitely more polite where I went than here in Britain.

41-Inches-Wide
04-05-2008, 03:58 PM
What is it like in America? Is the scenery more clearer like in the movies? That always is in my mind. :kaoclove:

Rye
04-05-2008, 04:01 PM
What is it like in America? Is the scenery more clearer like in the movies? That always is in my mind. :kaoclove:

Oh Aicha, I'll smuggle you here and we can hang out all the time with Lamonda and Jeremy. We'll play DDR all day long! :kaoclove:

41-Inches-Wide
04-05-2008, 04:12 PM

Oh Aicha, I'll smuggle you here and we can hang out all the time with Lamonda and Jeremy. We'll play DDR all day long! :kaoclove:

I'M CUBAN! I DON'T LIKE AMERICA'S FREEDOM! :mad2:
But I love DDR.

Also:
I've been told the Grand Canyon is Grand. How big is it? And also the Hoover Dam! (I watched Transformers)

Rye
04-05-2008, 04:28 PM
It's.... intense.

Heath
04-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I'd say the people aren't quite as polite as they are here in Britain.

o__O Either you live in a wonderful, amazing part of Britain or you visited a very different America from me. They were infinitely more polite where I went than here in Britain.

I wouldn't say there was a great deal in it; you get some miserable, impolite people wherever you go. Just the impression I got anyway.

LunarWeaver
04-05-2008, 04:41 PM
It's full of pollution, obesity, and teenagers pretending to read Nietzsche books. But our flag is pretty and that's what's important!~

41-Inches-Wide
04-05-2008, 05:10 PM
It's.... intense.

So I heard America is quite intense too, like Cuba amirite :kaoclove:

I adore the Day Lights Savings Time something. Is it an America thing too?

scrumpleberry
04-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Never been. I figure there's a lot of beautiful scenery. And guinea pigs come from america, don't they..?

As for the people, I dunno. There seems to be some morons and some great people just as there are anywhere.

Laddy
04-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Vermont is for drugs and hippies
OMG! BERT! Save a room at your place! We could LARP Guild Wars and protest large corporations! And I'll bring teh acid!!!1!! !!!one!1

strawberryman
04-05-2008, 06:39 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o153/Antinferno/sexyparty.gif</a>

Best pic ever.

Shoeberto
04-05-2008, 07:14 PM
By and large the people are very talkative and friendly. They don't tend to hold doors open for you and (national stereotypes ahoy!) I'd say the people aren't quite as polite as they are here in Britain. That's the feeling I got from Florida anyway. I also know that on one day during any fortnight, there will be a thunderstorm and you'll get drenched; most likely on the day when you happen to be wearing shorts and t-shirt. Otherwise the weather is really nice, sunny and hot. It's a rather nice country to visit, even if I've only been to touristy Florida, but one I'd enjoy visiting again.
The weather thing is pretty well limited to touristy Florida, maybe the west coast, but yeah... when I went to Florida it rained every freaking day of the trip. It was kinda cool and weird at the same time.

Politeness depends on the region, for the most part.

rubah
04-05-2008, 07:39 PM
My thoughts on america (in alphabetical order)

Alabama-- it has US space camp at huntsville :D I didn't really get to experience much of living there though.
Arkansas-- it gets pretty ghetto toward the east and the south, but I love love love NW arkansas :D
Colorado-- I was there a loooooooooong time ago so I don't remember how the people were, but it's pretty there :D
Illinois-- I can't remember much about when my family went to Chicago several years ago, but stu and I stopped in Effingham and it was so awesome there. Like seriously, we ate dinner at taco bell, and this biker guy came in and just started talking to the high school girl behind the counter about a presentation he'd given at her school. and this elderly couple came in and teased me about my long john silver's xD :up: A+
Indiana- Indiana (unsurprisingly) is very similar to Illinois and Ohio, the three 'uh which one is which?' states. I took a long involved survey that put my top place to live as Muncie, IN (kentucky was a close second, but I forget the town.)
Kansas- it's really boring to drive through xD Much like missouri. My best friend in high school came from kansas at some point (she came from a lot of places though) and said she loved the climate but despaired of the people. I mean, look how friendly aunty em and uncle henry were in the wizard of oz movie! I MEAN THEY WEREN'T.
Kentucky-- I had to drive through it at night, but it LOOKED like it was pretty! I have a feeling that the hillbilliness of it is staggered north to south (although there are some pretty backwoods places in ohio), but it seemed very well kempt
Louisiana-- I love southern louisiana xD My nearly adoptive grandpa (not related but very close to the family) came from the area and still talks with a cajun drawl. I had a very happy month living in Lafayette.
Mississippi-- I remember being impressed with mississippi when I drove through it to go to louisiana the first time (when I was 7), I haven't really been back since, I'm sure it's similar to tennessee and louisiana and eastern arkansas though
Missouri-- they have cheap gas >:[ *jealous* Maybe it's from being too close to there without spending significant time there, but it generally seems more skummy than arkansas, although afore-mentioned friend has a sister that lives in Joplin now, and my semi-adoptive band-dad came from there, and holy crap WORLDS OF FUN. Never drive through it on I-70. Just don't. Seriously. EVER Someone suggests it to you, you just go ahead and run.
New Mexico-- it left a bad taste in my mouth on the colorado trip; not only did the denny's suck but I forgot my swim goggles at the motel we stayed at ;.; I can't reallygive a more indepth thought than that xD
Ohio -- It impressed me. I wouldn't live there in the late winter/early spring through xD Really nice in the summer. There are skummy places (hi dayton with your gas stations that have bulletproof glass and bars around the counter!), but there are ones that are sterling examples of civic pride. Very similar to NWA but with better summer weather and poorer late-winter/early spring xD The people are generally fairly friendly and down-home in some places.
Oklahoma-- It's not all red neck wasteland! The areas near tulsa are very nice, such as where the aforementioned friend's grandparents live! The climate is much nicer in summer than arkansas (less humidity, THANKS GULF COAST), imo, but still blazing hot.
Tennessee-- Stu and I stopped at a dairy queen on exit 108 on I-65. I think we saw a family of 6 or 7 (or part of one. I'm sure my extrapolation is accurate though), a pot-smokin' crack dealer, his little adoring daughter, his current junkie girlfriend, two of the obese poor, and I don't remember what else :O I'm sure that the rest of tennessee is better and we just got the short end of the stick though!
Texas-- I love houston :O The people vouch for themselves xD

Hambone
04-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, Texas is okay I suppose. It get's kinda hot and America's youth is a little bitch though.

Marshall Banana
04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I hate eastern and southeastern Kentucky. Eastern Tennessee reminded me of Kentucky (I enjoyed Dollywood, though), and I saw only corn in Indiana.

California is wonderful!

Shiny
04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Baltimore, Maryland is really great even though it smells like fish and crabs. The aquarium is a must see if you go there.

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Well of course you're not going to like it if all you believe is what you hear on the news xD

LunarWeaver
04-05-2008, 09:27 PM
and I saw only corn in Indiana.

Tell me about it D: It is seriously the only thing here. Indiana is like "Be a farmer or GTFO".

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Illinois is a pretty nice state n.n

41-Inches-Wide
04-06-2008, 05:02 AM
I think New York is a dream. :kaoclove:

Yamaneko
04-06-2008, 05:07 AM
It's alright.

Freya
04-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Western america, not mid west, west. IE Wyoming (me state) colorado, montana, and utah. They are really pretty. The rocky mountains are well, beautiful. If you ever have a chance go to yellowstone national park It's so pretty. Like better than movies pretty.

But you can't say that just people make a or break a place. I'd have to tell you Switzerland was horrible then. Because the people there were jerks. Where ever you went was bad people. We're not all bad.

Lawr
04-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Michigan sucks but I'm ever gonna live in a big city. They're stupid

Aerio
04-06-2008, 06:42 AM
Missouri, which eerily sounds like Misery, is always thought of as a flat boring state like Kansas. But to be honest, we're 10x cooler than Kansas because at least the St. Louis area is hilly and full of deciduous forest, and the rest of the eastern half is as well. Kansas is just pure on horizon every direction you look, which is just depressing.

Sadly, St. Louis is pretty crappy compared to most major cities in the country, but we do have a really nice zoo and a gigantic stainless steel arch, which makes us cooler than you. Plus, we have a really muddy river called the Mississippi, which every 3rd grader in the WORLD, well maybe not the world, learns to spell. Also, where else in the world can you go to a small town called Hannibal and paint fences white competitively?

Okay -.- the truth is Missouri sucks. Its full of a lot of nothing in between St. Louis and Kansas City. And when I say nothing, I actually mean crummy fields with run down farms. But you know what, Disney Land was almost built here. So take that, thats more than anyone other than California can say, because they actually got Disney Land.

Ah well, I am actually leaving in 4 months to attend college in Chicago so I guess it doesn't matter. My life will officially revolve around attending every Oprah show in hopes of getting free stuffz (hey, it's a better investment than playing the lottery) and seeing blue man group every night.

THAT, is what makes America, America. Blue man group. Where else can you be totally creeped out and completely entertained by people painted blue? Besides the 80's, smurfs don't count.