PDA

View Full Version : So lady-like, hoooo~ $$$

Rye
04-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I just got my first Checkings account today, I feel grown up. Because Gamestop's pay system is 30 types of stupid (you have to use a pay card, and there's all types of stipulations and confusions, it's just vile and I want no part of it), I decided I'd opt for direct deposit. And since I only had a savings account prior (for pretty much my entire life) and my savings account bank won't let me direct deposit, I thought it was about time to get a Checkings. It'll be good for when I'm up in college, because I'll have a debit card as soon as I turn 18, which is in 2 month. It'd also help because if I have my money going straight into my bank account, I won't feel so inclined to spend it all, since I'd have to withdraw it first. Now I have a shiny ATM card in the loveliest of blues. :bigsmile:

A few of my more financially enlightened friends have been doing the same. Some have debit cards, because they're already 18. When did you get your first Checking account? Do you have a debit/credit card?

41-Inches-Wide
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
I have a savings account that I just opened too. I feel financially independent and rich OHOHOHOHOHOHOH :heart: and I don't like credit cards because it makes me want to buy unnecessary stuff that will drown me in debt, I'm sure.

But I'm pretty proud of myself I have money in the bank and a bank book statement to prove it. It makes me a bit smug. :kaoclove:

Rye
04-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Awwwww! That's so cute. <3 I have a bank statement book for my savings. I like getting it stamped to show how much money I have. I actually have quite a lot in there for a teen girl, but it's money that my Mom won't let me have until I'm older. Probably to help me when I'm getting an apartment or something.

But my checkings account is alllll mineeeee~ <3

Captain Maxx Power
04-05-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a Debit card, but I don't have a Credit card. I wouldn't get one either, they're just begging for you to use them and put yourself into debt.

Sergeant Hartman
04-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Debit card for the epic.

Necronopticous
04-05-2008, 05:48 PM
<CENTER>http://www.JEREMYTIME/upload/mother2_atm.gif</CENTER>

Rye
04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
I played a little more of that last night, Jeremy. And I'm sure you have a credit or debit card. How else would you order Mr. Wand from Amazon? :bigsmile:

Old Manus
04-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Wait, you have to be 18 to get a debit card?

Rye
04-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Here you do. Or at least at the banks I went to. It was a pain because the first bank I went to wouldn't even let me make a checking account because I'm not 18. The second one I went to let me, and I got an ATM card and a check book, but I can't be given a debit card until I turn 18 in about 2 months.

Breine
04-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, I have a debit card, or more specifically I have a Visa/Dankort (debit cards are called "Dankort" in Denmark). You also have to turn 18 here to get one, and I also felt very adulty when I got mine. It's just so easy and convenient to have one that I rarely carry cash around with me anymore.

Kirobaito
04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I have a debit card, as well as two credit cards.

Shoeberto
04-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Checking account + debit card + direct deposit are pretty much amazing, especially since I work out of state and don't want to bother with whatever nonsense I'd have to go through to get my paycheck deposited into my account every two weeks.

Blue Harvest
04-05-2008, 09:43 PM
I've had a debit card since I was 16. I wouldn't trust myself with a credit card though.

Kes
04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm surprised they let you get a checking account without a parent co-signing for it. I have a debit card (well, two actually) though I love my Hello Kitty checks so much more. I'd be too afraid to use a credit card if I ever got one.

Fonzie
04-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Got mine in January. :p

Faris
04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I got my savings account, checking account and debit card all on the same day when I was 13! or maybe I was 12.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Can't remember when I got a debit card. Long, long ago though. All I know is I have a Student Account and I have a debit card and a check book, so I dunno, I guess that's a checking account? Whatever. As long as the bank keeps my damn money safe I'm happy. :p

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-05-2008, 10:59 PM
I got my debit card and checking account before I turned 18. A couple months before. But my dad co-signed the account. Mostly just so he could pay me bi-monthly. I don't actually do anything for the money I get, I'm jut lucky. Even though it all ends up going for gas.

I quite enjoy having a debit card to use though. It is very useful. I can order stuff off the internet. It is awesome. Go Debit Mastercard!

And I have been thinking about getting an actual credit card, just to boost my credit score. Because I have already overdrawn my checking twice. Not good. Luckily, I have exactly $1.73 in the bank right now. :p

Ouch!
04-05-2008, 11:04 PM
I got both a debit and credit card when I came down to college. They're both in my name, but my dad puts money into the checking account. I've got a savings account with my own money, and I move money from the savings to the checking whenever I buy something my dad won't pay for (i.e. video games).

I treat my credit card the same I do my debit--don't buy anything unless I have the money to cover it. I pay off the credit card completely every month.

Araciel
04-05-2008, 11:09 PM
I got a checking account almost ten years ago, since my rent could only be paid with checks.

Aerith's Knight
04-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I got my first checking account at 11yo, when i inherited 5 grand.

I got my credit card at 18yo, when i was able to.

Tallulah
04-06-2008, 02:58 AM
I have a debit card, plus a £200 overdraft. Useful, 'cos I actually went over this week, without realising it... Erk... :p

No credit card for me, I won't have them... :mad2:

Peegee
04-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Dude, that's a good question. When did I get my checking account?

I mean, I got this account when I was 16, but I don't recall it being a checking account then. Maybe when I turned 18?

Jojee
04-06-2008, 06:52 AM
I got mine when I was 17 too, when I got my first job at Taco Bell ^_^ It's a joint account with my mom.

I got my own account as well when I was 19 because I didn't want my mom to see everything I was buying with my card online. xD

Rye
04-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm surprised they let you get a checking account without a parent co-signing for it. I have a debit card (well, two actually) though I love my Hello Kitty checks so much more. I'd be too afraid to use a credit card if I ever got one.

H-Hello Kitty... checks?

I WANT SOME!!!! :kaocry2: