PDA

View Full Version : "Hey there, I'm new."

KentaRawr!
04-05-2008, 08:59 PM
What do you think of Nublet threads? Do you think they never post again because of the sexoring of the newbie, or just because they like to torture us? What do you think of newbies in general?

DISCUSS. NOW.

Araciel
04-05-2008, 09:00 PM
What I like to do is say 'welcome to my barbecue' like in the game.

scrumpleberry
04-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Newb threads can annoy me a little, because only about 1/5 newbs stick around long enough to make it worth getting to know them. But I guess they're cool if you want to introduce yourself impressively or spamtastically.

It takes a newb a little time to get into the mood and flow of the forae, but they can be awesome or not so awesome just like everyone else.

LunarWeaver
04-05-2008, 09:03 PM
I have nothing against newbies or newbie threads! I was a newbie once too, after all. Sometimes they slowly go from cheerful, innocent newbies to mean, cynical bastards, and that's an interesting progression to watch.

KentaRawr!
04-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I have nothing against newbies or newbie threads! I was a newbie once too, after all. Sometimes they slowly go from cheerful, innocent newbies to mean, cynical bastards, and that's an interesting progression to watch.

Like Araciel? :p

scrumpleberry
04-05-2008, 09:05 PM

I think he's on something at the minute, he's being disturbingly hyper for Araciel. Maybe the stress of the competition is getting to him...

Blue Harvest
We were all newbies once. It's not such a bad thing that a new member should want some attention.

Bahamut2000X
I enjoy confusing and misleading newbies.

I'm still sad my newbie thread was closed after only a short few posts. I mean I had only been on the forum for 6 months when I got around to posting it. I mean I was technically still a newbie. :shifty:

Cookie
04-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I steer clear of newbie threads because the same boring stuff happens in all of them.

Jessweeee♪
04-05-2008, 09:07 PM
I LOVE NOO PEOPLE :heart:

KentaRawr!
04-05-2008, 09:08 PM

I think he's on something at the minute, he's being disturbingly hyper for Araciel. Maybe the stress of the competition is getting to him...

You're just jealous of my avatar.

scrumpleberry
04-05-2008, 09:09 PM

You're just jealous of my avatar.

I wasn't trying to insult you, I was trying to begin a little bitching session! Honestly...:(

The Unknown Guru
04-06-2008, 12:04 AM

Like <s>Araciel</s> The Unknown Guru? :p

Edited to appeal to my ego.

I really don't mind newbs. As long as they don't post in leet-speak or something like that (sephiroth....... is............... here........), they're mostly ok.

Dolentrean
04-06-2008, 12:11 AM
I dont pay much attention to Newbie threads, I post my hellos and whatnot, but after that i dont expect most of them to come back more than thrice.

Araciel
04-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm more active? I blame spring time.

Aerith's Knight
04-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I never do anything to newbies :shifty:

Freya
04-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I always like to reply to neww people. If they get enough replies and hellos they may like this place and stay. Or well that's what I hope.

rubah
04-06-2008, 01:17 AM
the best newbie threads are the ones that stay unmade, imo 8)

Blue Harvest
04-06-2008, 01:19 AM

The biggest lie I've seen here thus far

Kes
04-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Well, I dislike newbies in general. >.> lolwut?

No, seriously though, I've found on other boards that newbie threads are a million times better than when a newbie decides to enter an already existing discussion and declare their newness. I tend to find newbies who just jump into the discussions like they've been there forever a bit pretentious, so even though they're awkward to write and suck by default, newbie threads are kind of a rite of passage internet style.

Aerith's Knight
04-06-2008, 01:40 AM

The biggest lie I've seen here thus far

*drowns BH in a jar of eels*

Who's lying now!..

*looks around*

.. ghehe :laughing:

qwertysaur
04-06-2008, 01:42 AM
yes.

Aerith's Knight
04-06-2008, 01:44 AM
yes.

that means i had the best newbie thread ever!

Psychotic
04-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Newbies are new best friends waiting to happen. :love:

Madame Adequate
04-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Without newbies, where would any site be? Oldbies don't simply spring into existence full-formed!

Anyway what annoys me most in this matter is newbies who make two or three posts and then leave. Otherwise as long as they just say hi and are cool, I'll tend to welcome them and give them a chance.

cloud21zidane16
04-06-2008, 02:11 AM
I just welcome them then normally never see them around again:p
I never made a newbie thread, wish i had now:(

Tallulah
04-06-2008, 03:02 AM

I thought you sexxored them?Or am I thinking about another member?

Anyway, I tend to ignore them unless they have something meaningful to say. Like I did.. err... :/

Madame Adequate
04-06-2008, 03:19 AM

I thought you sexxored them?Or am I thinking about another member?

Anyway, I tend to ignore them unless they have something meaningful to say. Like I did.. err... :/

Well, he might, but that's PG's game mostly.

Sir Lancealot
04-06-2008, 03:57 AM
yes.

that means i had the best newbie thread ever!

So did I.

Alucard von Elru
04-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Totally PG's game. "Wounds may heal... but your mind will be scarred forever!"

Speaking as a n00b (to this site), I only introduce myself if a forum has a place to do so. If they do, I feel it is somewhat expected of a new member to introduce themselves. If, however, the site has no intro section (like RPGFan), then I take that as a cue to just leap right into conversation.

Madame Adequate
04-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Ah, yeah, Alucard makes a good point actually: If I join a place that's either without newb thread areas, or which is so large you're only ever going to know a small section of the userbase (eg Gaia Online, GameSpot) then I don't bother with any such thing.

Evastio
04-06-2008, 04:35 AM
It would be nice if some of them stayed for a while. I know they might be busy but there's no point in joining a forum if you're not going to post there much.

Leeza
04-06-2008, 05:12 AM
We were all newbs once and we all stayed. :cat:

Peegee
04-06-2008, 05:20 AM
*sexors new-

Newbie threads at least tell us that so-and-so is a new member, since we can't use post counts as an indicator and I don't think people look at 'join date'. At least I don't. That way new users can get acquainted ("acquainted") and welcomed ("welcomed") to the forum.

Good times follows. "Good times"

what

Randgris
04-06-2008, 06:32 AM
I always tell them they'd die in seven days...

Edit: I can't seem to find the TV Sadako comes out off...

Relapse
04-06-2008, 07:54 AM
i don't go to newb threads. but if i did, i wouldn't care, cuz well, they're newbz lol.

Krelian
04-06-2008, 08:51 AM
To add another newbie's perspective, I think newbie threads are a good idea to break the ice and make the first interactions with other members. There's no way to prevent some users from disappearing forever after they said hi in their newb-thread, but that's natural. You'll find that sort of thing in every other forum as well. I think forums with an introduction area tend to have a warmer and more welcome atmosphere. So in short, I like them :D

smittenkitten
04-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh I think it's awesome, the more newbies the better! The forum need to keep on growing so I can post my warm welcome - Welcome to Eoff! :mog:

Breine
04-06-2008, 11:53 AM
I like newbies, especially those with good grammar, and therefore I'm totally fine with the newbie/welcome threads - I always tend to post in them.

However, I also think that it's pretty annoying/pointless that many newbies make newbie threads, and then don't post after that. We need n00bs to keep this forum alive, but they have to stick around and be active!

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-06-2008, 02:18 PM
They should have their own forum