PDA

View Full Version : Build me a computer!

Carl the Llama
04-07-2008, 12:31 AM
ok so its this simple, I am going to buy a new computer and I want you oh so lovely people to help me build one, if I list a few specs would you be able to go out there and go to the tecie website and get me a quote and if possible a link to the said computer.

Here is a list of what I want in my computer:

3072-4096mb RAM this is the most important feature for me... im fed up of forever being slowed down so I want a bucketload of ram

Pentium QUAD or DUO core, would prefer QUAD but ill settle for DUO

A nice shiny graphics card, I quite like the ATI range atm, dont want anything with yuki turbocache graphics.

500gb HDD, not really nessisary but the extra space would be nice.

thats really all I want in my computer oh and as an after thought if you could make the OS XP id be grateful, I live in england so I dont really want to be importing anything from america and with reguards to a price range I want the above at a low as possible price just dont go too wild ok? many thanks in advance!

rubah
04-07-2008, 12:42 AM
we have a forum for this 8)

crono_logical
04-07-2008, 01:30 AM
If you're going with XP, don't bother with the quad-cores or 4 GB RAM - XP only supports up to 2 cores, and due to weird limitations in Windows XP/2003 in general, you'll only see up to 3.5 GB of RAM on 32-bit machines :p There's always Linux though, maybe Ubuntu if you're new to it and just want to try it out, no such limitations on numbers of cores (not that I'm aware of anyway - don't actually know how many it can scale up to), and much higher limits on RAM on both 32 and 64-bit machines :p

Citizen Bleys
04-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Linux will kill your gaming mojo, but if that's not an issue, try lots of distros before you make a decision--don't just go with Ubuntu because that's the one everyone talks about. It's good, but not that great. Personally, I prefer Gentoo.

Avoid Windows Vista like syphilis, though.

Honestly, DVD burners are cheap--make sure you get a good one. Something with dual layer and lightscribe would be best. LG isn't top of the line, but you get good bang for your buck.

Avoid ASUS motherboards. A lot of people say they're great, and they are--when they work. ASUS Quality Control isn't that great, and they ship a lot of factory defectives, so you might have to RMA the motherboard, and that means shipping to and from the United States. The only postal services in the world slower than USPS are Canada Post and the Russian postal service. (Seriously, I live in New Brunswick, and I can get an eBay purchase from Ukraine or Hong Kong faster than I can get something from Maine. Look at a map of the Eastern US/Canada border zone if you don't get it) Personally, I like MSI. Like LG, good bang for your buck.

edczxcvbnm
04-07-2008, 02:58 AM
Why go so weak? Why not get some real power in there XD

http://www.tpc.org/results/individual_results/HP/tpcc.hp.SD.es.082107.pdf

Carl the Llama
04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
ok so I cant use XP and have the ram I want? oh and I am a major gamer so what would you guys recomend?

Why go so weak? Why not get some real power in there XD

http://www.tpc.org/results/individua....es.082107.pdf

Sorry, I dont have $11,978,134 to splash out right now, try back again in a couple of Millenia!

Heath
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
thats really all I want in my computer oh and as an after thought if you could make the OS XP id be grateful, I live in england so I dont really want to be importing anything from america and with reguards to a price range I want the above at a low as possible price just dont go too wild ok? many thanks in advance!

Don't want to post lies, but I was under the impression that parts were cheaper in America than they are in Britain. Don't know if that might be worth considering at all if it were more economical to get parts from the US. I've never built my own machine, I'd just throw that in there to be correct/confirmed.

escobert
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I used pricewatch.com to buy the parts for my computer :p you get he best prices from all over the internet :p. I'm not personally a intel fan. they may have faster chips atm but AMD is better all around imo and they seem to run much cooler. Atleast in my experience. Of course I also love Asus :p

rubah
04-07-2008, 09:57 PM
intel . . . faster; but AMD . . . cooler.
I wonder how that works out!

escobert
04-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Oh be quiet :p. I'd rather my chip stay cool and run than overheat and die :p

Baloki
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
The new Inter Duel Cores run much faster and cooler then their AMD counterparts, go figure :p

Something to do with power drawage and nm's or something?

Rostum
04-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Meh, nothing wrong with ASUS motherboards. I have one and it's great. :D

Roto13
04-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Vista is underrated. :P I've been running it since February and the only real problem I've had with it is that my crappy old printer doesn't work with it.

rubah
04-09-2008, 12:48 AM
yeah but when people's crappy old printers don't run in linux, everyone makes a big deal about it :p